FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

Charlotte Pipe and Foundry has purchased the former Beazer Land....back in September or so. CP&F will seek to rezone it back to I-2 (industrial) from MUDD, maintaining a strip of green along West Morehead, but otherwise expanding their operations onto the site. How does this synch with the City's most recent long term planning efforts?

How much did they buy the land for? Is it even possible that it was so cheap that this kind of use makes sense? Boggles my mind.

If they're using it as a storage yard, that will set it aside for eventual future redevelopment. Buying this land, which is already cleared and already next to their existing facility, certainly costs a whole lot less for them than relocating their entire facility or buying up other, already developed land nearby.

If they're using it as a storage yard, that will set it aside for eventual future redevelopment. Buying this land, which is already cleared and already next to their existing facility, certainly costs a whole lot less for them than relocating their entire facility or buying up other, already developed land nearby.

Chain link fence is going up. Based on the fence, it appears that they are not putting much money into the site (not even a concrete pad). A good thing I think.

I had thought that Charlotte pipe had bought property in Stanley County and was planning a complete relocation back in the bubble era. Anyone know if those plans still exist?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it might interest people to see the site plan for the Pipe & Foundry 'expansion'. Assuming again that it will be temporary (although I'm now more pessimistic about HOW temporary), this at least TRIES to look tasteful. It puts a significant green space and sidewalk improvement along Morehead, a treeline to hide the storage yards from sight, as well as a Pipe & Foundry 'gateway' at Morehead & Clarkson. I'm not too keen on the gateway since it will look very office park-y, but all of this is marginally better than the wasteland that's there now. I just hope it doesn't mean we're that much further from seeing real redevelopment take place.

http://ww.charmeck.o...site%20plan.pdf

Edited by nonillogical

• 2 weeks later...

Non-illogical, the sidewalk improvements only occur if a building permit is sought at some point. CP&F seeks the "Optional" MUDD district in an effort to avoid the cost of sidewalks, etc today. Only at such time as a permit is pulled for construction on the MUDD-O parcels will the sidewalks be required. I'd suggest a permit will not be pulled there during my lifetime. The approval of this petition would reflect a conscious decision by City Council to ignore EVERY plan affecting the area and to orphan the balance of West Morehead and the public money well spent there over the past several years. If this property is rezoned as outlined, 20 years from now you will still be able to count on one hand the number of pedestrians that make the trip from Cedar Street/Third Ward to West Morehead (as you can today).

Agreed that it may make good sense for CP&F as a business owner. I don't fault them for doing it and congratulations on having the financial prowess. What's shocking is the $21.6M buy BEFORE the rezoning is in hand. How does a Buyer conclude that they can safely spend more than $21M on land that must be rezoned from a district which supports all suggested future land uses in every current plan (MUDD) to I-1 and 1-2, industrial districts abandoned over 10 years ago when planning efforts for the area first launched in earnest.

What's shocking is the $21.6M buy BEFORE the rezoning is in hand. How does a Buyer conclude that they can safely spend more than $21M on land that must be rezoned from a district which supports all suggested future land uses in every current plan (MUDD) to I-1 and 1-2, industrial districts abandoned over 10 years ago when planning efforts for the area first launched in earnest.

Do you ever follow Charlotte's City Council? Less than a handful of rezoning requests are ever denied. A protest petition increases the odds some for denial. Still, even a majority of the protested cases end up being approved.

Do you ever follow Charlotte's City Council?

Just a little....

I understand how it is likely to behave. Just getting it out there for discussion. In the spirit of full disclosure, I own with partners the piece at Elliot and Morehead which is entirely surrounded by the parcels we are discussing.

• 2 weeks later...

They own the land, so they can put fencing up regardless, I believe. But not yet rezoned for the lipstick-on-pig siteplan.

I'm so glad we lost the Coffee Cup for such amazing progress. Can't wait for the gunpowder-smelling pollution to increase. It adds such a nice ambiance to downtown.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2012_Petitions/Pages/2012-038.aspx

This is unbelievable to me really. Nearly 18 acres of prime uptown real estate is going to be wasted on Charlotte Pipe.

I don't know that I would call it prime. It's cut off from most of uptown, is right by CP&F, and is within 1/3 of a mile from two major highways... It sure wouldn't be my ideal place to live/work/shop. But then again what do I know, one of the more affluential areas of Charlotte is right by the wastewater treatment facility.

I don't know that I would call it prime. It's cut off from most of uptown, is right by CP&F, and is within 1/3 of a mile from two major highways... It sure wouldn't be my ideal place to live/work/shop. But then again what do I know, one of the more affluential areas of Charlotte is right by the wastewater treatment facility.

I work right on the other side of 77 on W. Morehead, and the neighborhood is getting quite desirable despite a location that also doesn't sound the greatest on paper. I don't see why the land between us and Uptown/Southend wouldn't follow suit with the right plan. Looks like it will be quite a while though...

Well, the proximity to Charlotte Pipe and Foundry is a negative to redevelopment, which is the whole reason they bought it, so they don't have any NIMBY neighbors.

All of the old buildings that could have allowed for organic growth (like has happened west of 77) have all been torn down thanks to CMPD, BofA, and Beazer. So then it requires some bigger investment, which is now next to impossible.

This area easily could have been something, but in the end, it is a symbol of everything going wrong and going very far backwards.

Isn't there still a capped entrance to the mine over there somewhere?

Could be several if you knew where to look. I have a feeling St. Catherine's was probably plugged with debris and bulldozed over. There have even been some cave-ins through the years. Here's the prior thread with map: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53146-charlotte-gold-mines/

I am puzzled why Charlotte Pipe would do this. They have a huge facility out near the Monroe Airport. I haven't been there in a few years, but there seemed to be plenty of room for expansion. Maybe I am thinking of a different company.

Anyhow, once again I find everyones attitude somewhat puzzling. Developement cheerleaders, as long as it's pretty and doesn't smell or have big trucks roaring by. I have stated before y'all want lots of development as long as it is the kind you want. Would this create jobs? Is it a factory? I've scanned back thru this thread & couldn't tell. So, blue collar workers, who make the things that make it possible for inner cities to exist must work far out in the country side. Companies do not build there facilities near up/down town because of the cost of land. Mass transit offers nothing for them. The inner cities will be full of well off urbanites living and working there. But the blue collar be damned. Go find your hovel in those hideous housing developments you all despise.