FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

I hope this area ends up being called something besides "West End".  Names like that are really starting to get old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, and even though it is "due west" of the square, no one really thinks of this as the "west" part of downtown, as our minds are shifted a quarter turn with the grid streets. Besides, the area around biddleville/west trade is already branded as historic west end.

I think it is still okay to have 1 "end" per cardinal, as long as they are roughly similar (ie. south end is just south of the original city limits, so west end should be just east.... it would be dumb if briar creek became "east end" because it happened to be the eastern edge of city limits in the 1950s or something....)

So, i agree with you, but for different reasons.

Morehead Station

SouthLake

Valley Heights

The Shoppes at Weste Ende

Crescent Square

The Parking Lot District

Take your pick...... :D

A few genuine suggestions:

Westhead

Pantherville

There is an effort underway to brand that whole area as "3rd Ward Warehouse District"

Edited by atlrvr

it is interesting that we have two very similar districts that are trying to grow and brand themselves at the same time. The Music Factory/Lazes/Uptown Village and this West Morehead/Clarkson area are very similar in that they are within the 277/77 loop, are in the corner, where they are mostly cut off from the rest of uptown AND the neighborhoods outside of the loop, and don't have a unique historical identity to draw on because modern freeways delineate their boundaries.

It is so close to the charlotte pipe and foundary, maybe they could incorporate that into the name.... like the Foundary District......

my only beef with "Warehouse" district is that duke energy already tore down all the warehouses on the land so now it would be a misnomer....

It is so close to the charlotte pipe and foundary, maybe they could incorporate that into the name.... like the Foundary District......

my only beef with "Warehouse" district is that duke energy already tore down all the warehouses on the land so now it would be a misnomer....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could call it the "Wherehouse? District".

I've decided that I really like Pantherville....at least as a general branding of the area.....

A lot of names like the "name your infrastructure" District just get so worn out, and every city has them. Pantherville, while a bit cheesy, does draw from a nearby ammenity, but will probably make people from out of town a bit curious about the name, or perhaps implies that their is some sort of grand Panther history to that area.

As a side note, is SoDa ever catches on as the name of the area beween I-277 and Parkwood.....I would love to see public art there with large soda bottle statues with broken glass mosaic......the local Coke and Pepsi and Cheerwine bottlers could help pay for the artists.

Edited by atlrvr

i'm warming to pantherville, but it is definitely cheesy.

when i first read that tuscan wanted to coin SoDa, i got really annoyed.... People are already confused enough by NoDa, but at least it can be explained quickly as being NOrth DAvidson Street.... SoDa is still on north davidson street, not south davidson, so it just seems really dumb and confusing to call it SoDa.

I think we need to go back to naming areas after people and history: Lazes Corner or Furman Park or Farris Heights... it worked for Mr. E. Dilworth Latta.

I think it is fine for developers to try to brand their new area, but i agree that almost every time they do it, it ends up seeming fake or unnatural or cheesy.

NoDa is actually more an example of a name that evolved, as it used to be branded North Davidson Arts District and Historic North Charlotte. NoDa became the term of choice because it eliminated confusion with the town of davidson and the university area.

I think there are other cases where the city or developers have initially used a new term for a neighborhood, but common usage simply reverted to a more basic or historically accurate name.... Other examples are Garden District, where almost everyone simply uses "First Ward" and East Park by Grubb, where they eventually reverted to the simpler "Elizabeth Avenue".

So my point is that even if the developer tries to coin "West End" or "Pantherville" or "BeSt" (Behind the Stadium) or any other... i wouldn't be surprised if people just stuck to "Third Ward" or West Morehead to describe the area.

on creativity, i think the gangster teenagers are the most creative in nicknaming neighborhoods. They use "PeCo" to refer to Piedmont Courts.

• 1 month later...

I drove by Cedar Street and West Morehead the other day and it looks like new side walks are going in on Cedar. Anyone hear any new news for this part of town...? Looks kinda naked around there, but could also look like the calm before a storm :)

How concrete are those Namour Wright / Landcroft plans for the West End Development?

I drove by Cedar Street and West Morehead the other day and it looks like new side walks are going in on Cedar. Anyone hear any new news for this part of town...? Looks kinda naked around  there, but could also look like the calm before a storm :)

How concrete are those Namour Wright / Landcroft plans for the West End Development?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nothing is concrete until its concrete. for now it is just crayon, graphite, and pixels.

i'm sure that people are trying to get something to happen there, though, as the area has been sitting fallow for a long time.