FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

This is actually a rendering BBM did for a project in NoDa.  They made the rendering for the client to be a pretty picture that the owner can pitch developers.  As of right now this thing does not appear to have any legs.

Not so Fast Kind Sir. I think you are referring to the Flats at Second Square which was a project that was created by BBM for NoDa for a Developer.

This is a completely different possibility. Lofts at South Summit. I do agree this is clearly a BBM rendering, but its certainly not a NoDa project.

http://www.bbm-arch.com/multifamily/flats-second-square/

Well that's utterly depressing....

Not so fast, but I could still be highly wrong.

Edited by Guest

Not so Fast Kind Sir. I think you are referring to the Flats at Second Square which was a project that was created by BBM for NoDa for a Developer.

This is a completely different possibility. Lofts at South Summit. I do agree this is clearly a BBM rendering, but its certainly not a NoDa project.

http://www.bbm-arch.com/multifamily/flats-second-square/

Not so fast, but I could still be highly wrong.

The owner of the land doesn't have the equity to build it and will likely broker the sale or JV with an investment group.  He had BBM take the rendering from the Flats @ Second Square project and plant it onto the Morehead lot so that the owner has a pretty picture to show developers and investors.  If you'll notice the renderings for both are the same building.  

The project isn't going to happen anytime soon unless the owner can sell the deal or JV on the deal, which, given the multifamily market, could happen pretty quickly!  Probably isn't accurate to say that it doesn't have legs but it definitely is on hold until Mr. Buckets O' Cash comes on the seen.

TL;DR it's a NoDa building pasted onto a Morehead lot to make a pretty sales picture.

The owner of the land doesn't have the equity to build it and will likely broker the sale or JV with an investment group.  He had BBM take the rendering from the Flats @ Second Square project and plant it onto the Morehead lot so that the owner has a pretty picture to show developers and investors.  If you'll notice the renderings for both are the same building.  

The project isn't going to happen anytime soon unless the owner can sell the deal or JV on the deal, which, given the multifamily market, could happen pretty quickly!  Probably isn't accurate to say that it doesn't have legs but it definitely is on hold until Mr. Buckets O' Cash comes on the seen.

TL;DR it's a NoDa building pasted onto a Morehead lot to make a pretty sales picture.

:-/ Well shucks. 

What's up the Boxer building on Morehead?  It seems like it has been empty for a while, despite being renovated.  We are buying a place in Third Ward and, being a huge dork, I drove around the area [again] today.  Seems like there are several old buildings like this one on Morehead that could be turned in office space for small companies.

edit: I could be wrong, but the place always looks vacant when I drive by.

Edited by birky

^ I used to work in there about 10-12 years ago...it was carved up into smaller spaces then.  Wagner Murray architects took most of the 2nd floor, and STV/Ralph Whitehead (civil engineers) took the top floor, and a couple other firms took the rest of the 2nd and 1st.  STV/RW moved to Gateway Village recently, which is probably contributing to an emptyish parking lot.  Don't know what else is going on inside.  The biggest disappointment to me is that the door front Moreheard is a fire-exit only.  It was decent space to work...very raw loft.

I didn't see this mentioned on here, but Wesley Village Apartment has Phase 2 under construction...2 more building at the back of the site.  I don't think Jay St currently connects to Wesley Village Rd, but they are extending it as part of phase 2 if it doesn't already exist, which should help connectivity a lot, given the weird traffic movments at Freedom.

• 1 month later...

I noticed some activity at the Grinnell site this week on west Morehead. Mainly earth movers, but maybe a sign this project might pick back up?

Is that the half-finished building across from Picante/Uptown Cycles? I noticed that too, just a couple of workers milling around and the reappearance of porta potties. 

Also, looks like the apartment project on Summit is underway! I only saw from W. Morehead but there is fencing up and equipment on site. 

Yes, the building across from Uptown Cycles is being finished now. Edifice Construction, whose offices are across that parking lot, bought it from the original developer (who ran out of money), and they're finishing it.

Nice, that is great news. The rendering that used to be posted out front was pretty nice, I dig the idea of taking an old historic brick building, leaving the facade in tact but adding a modern glassy "wing" to one side of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

There is a sign up at the auto garage on West Morehead near Summit for Southern Apartment Group. They are the ones doing Crescent Dilworth, and this is the site of those awesome renderings posted a few pages back that ended up being a seemingly false alarm. The website describes a 300 unit multifamily project, but also said construction starting Fall 2013. Take that fwiw. 

• 4 weeks later...

What's up the Boxer building on Morehead?  It seems like it has been empty for a while, despite being renovated.  We are buying a place in Third Ward and, being a huge dork, I drove around the area [again] today.  Seems like there are several old buildings like this one on Morehead that could be turned in office space for small companies.

edit: I could be wrong, but the place always looks vacant when I drive by.

I did some searching in the Meck Building Permit site and see that this building has been approved for demolition last week. :-(

This building is not a a registered Historic Landmark so the Demolition can't be stopped from what I understand.

Invest Collegeiate Charter School next to Bryant Park & WBTV Studios. All the steel frame for the 2 story building is out of the ground, starting to put a skin on it. They have a great view of uptown. http://investcollegiate.maxwebgear.com/transform-campus.

Morehead West Apartment are progressing nicely they have photos posted on their web site. www.moreheadwestapts.com/mobi/photos.asp

Sorry the last 3 pictures are of Morehead West Apartments

post-24585-0-22761000-1396152805_thumb.j

post-24585-0-63102400-1396152817_thumb.j

post-24585-0-54935400-1396152912_thumb.j

post-24585-0-80174600-1396152925_thumb.j

post-24585-0-84491900-1396152936_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Invest Collegeiate Charter School next to Bryant Park & WBTV Studios. All the steel frame for the 2 story building is out of the ground, starting to put a skin on it. They have a great view of uptown. http://investcollegiate.maxwebgear.com/transform-campus.

Morehead West Apartment are progressing nicely they have photos posted on their web site. www.moreheadwestapts.com/mobi/photos.asp

Sorry the last 3 pictures are of Morehead West Apartments

Drove by the complex today. I was actually very impressed by them as I had written them off as being some suburban garden style complex.  Also, progress seems to be going forward with Ryan Homes at Bryant Park. 

http://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-home/our-communities/north-carolina/charlotte/bryant-park

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what all of the earthmoving that is taking place on Wilkinson Blvd., next to the school bus parking lot?  There was a small mill that was torn down a few years ago.  It sat empty and looked like a complete eyesore.  However, over the past few weeks, they have dug everything up, and were taking up the road into the parking lot up.  I did see larger concrete pipes (storm drains?) laying about.  Haven't heard or read about anything going in there, so wanted to see if someone out there is privy to this piece of land.

Intersection of Wilkinson Blvd & Ashley Rd inbound traffic a Quick Trip & a fast food rest, heard it was a McD's. Behind these they are planning a shopping center.

Also the Ryan Homes Bryant Park Developement is moving forward. ( West Morehead & Millerton Ave. ) Sales have been brisk on single family and town homes. Underground utilities are going in pretty fast.

The Morehead West Apartments should be finished in the the Fall. Across the street from WBTV studio on West Morehead St.

Demolition is underway at Pate's Automotive on West Morehead. This is the 1-story concrete and tin building across from Open Kitchen. There has been a sign out front for "Southern Apartment Group" for some time, and since that is who is developing Crescent Dilworth, which is looking very high-quality, I am optimistic. Can anyone dig anything up? We were all teased a few months back with a stellar rendering of an apartment building with retail in this location that turned out to not be anything actually planned. 

• 1 month later...

Good News for FreeMoreWest -- The minds behind the Common Market are opening a new store to be named Rhino Market & Deli.  Here's the scoop taken from the FreeMoreWest Newsletter: 

"Rob Rondolez, the manager of Common Market SouthEnd is excited to announce to FreeMoreWest that he will be opening a new market called Rhino Market & Deli in The Browder Group’s Morehead Corners at 1500 West Morehead, behind The Burger Company and Picante in between the Buddhist Center and Charlotte Fencing Academy.

“My vision is to create a place that brings together the communities of Camp Greene, Wesley Heights and Bryant Park and offers them a place to gather for breakfast, coffee, lunch or drinks,” commented Rob Rondolez, operating owner of Rhino Market & Deli. 
With the store being 2,700 square feet (similar size as Common Market SouthEnd) the store will have room to offer all the things you love about Common Markets- a full service deli, breakfast and coffee, wine, beer and other convenience items.  He told us he plans to offer small events and live entertainment such as bands or DJs along with wine tastings, etc. There will be “plenty” of outdoor seating for relaxing with your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors. He would also like to offer a place for local farmers to set up stands out front.

“There’s so much happening in the [FreeMoreWest] area, I was immediately attracted to the location,” added Rob.

Rhino Market & Deli has been looking at Wesley Heights for a whole year and will start the interior upfit this week. Depending on permitting, he hopes to open the store in November (so we'll just count on December). Stay tuned for announcements about Grand Opening events!"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Rhino Market looks like it is getting close to completion.

I have to admit, I've driven through this area a lot lately, and it has just all kinds of potential.  The Grinnell Building is done and it looks fantastic.  I really hope some of the old warehouses and other buildings can be renovated & leased for retail or food.  Morehead west of 77 is a clean, walk-able street with sidewalks on both sides and excellent lighting.  I imagine once the apartment project goes up, other things will move in, but this should be a stretch that really fills out with things to do.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Meck. County is buying the old Charlotte School Of Law building on Wilkinson Blvd. The will be moving people from The Hal Marshall Bldg. and plan on building a second bldg. for LUESA and plan submittal and Code Enforcement. 10 acres which includes the current bldg. empty parcel and parking lot $16 million.

Meck. County is buying the old Charlotte School Of Law building on Wilkinson Blvd. The will be moving people from The Hal Marshall Bldg. and plan on building a second bldg. for LUESA and plan submittal and Code Enforcement. 10 acres which includes the current bldg. empty parcel and parking lot $16 million.

Wow that is absolutely fantastic news. Let the N Tryon revitalization continue

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1