cooperdawg

FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

8 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Build apartments, and the self storage units will follow. 

Agree, I'd probably have posted with less snark if this wasn't the third announced in a week on relatively prime real estate.  

While it is alarming that so many of these are starting to pop up, I guess it was inevitable in a city that is quickly becoming more and more dense. Stuff like this was bound to go up here and there. I actually think adjacent to the stadium is a decent spot for this. I know I wouldn't want to live immediately next to a venue that squeezes 70,000+ a number of times a year for games, soccer friendlies, the Belk bowl, and whatever concerts they may have. A good bar or restaurant would work pretty well here.

I don't mind self-storage for that area - but it's a shame they are tearing down that row of old buildings to make room for it. Black & Blue Brewing Co, anyone?

• Like 1

I may have been mistaken, but driving along 77 this morning i noticed some earth moving activity along west morehead at the beautiful Charlotte Pipe and Foundry "Park" -- formerly known as the "Beezer Industrial Park".. anyone have an idea what's going?

On 8/7/2015 at 6:25 PM, Jayvee said:

This is 1213 West Morehead Street

• 78,500 Square Feet of Office and Retail space available for lease
  • Retail Space 1500-4575 sq. ft.
  • Office Space up to 62,800 sq. ft.
  • Almost 300 space deck

I like this project a lot

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 6.21.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 6.22.39 PM.png

Anyone heard anything about this one lately?

1.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article60445391.html

Toronto developer intends to redevelop W Morehead units across from BOA Stadium

On 2/11/2016 at 7:46 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Stick built mid-rise apartments are so 2012.  We're onto self-storage facilities everywhere

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article59686461.htm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the old maps, these buildings fall directly over the old gold mines, correct?  I think I recall someone saying that a portion of the mines were filled in when the stadium was built, but if they're talking about underground parking, it seems like there could be some potential issues with the old mines, no?

3. The lot at the corner of W Morehead and S Summit in Freemore has finally been fenced off. Looks like construction is imminent.

Edited by birky

Pretty excited about the plans for the strip of buildings on West Morehead. The highrise must be a long way off if they are planning to renovate the current buildings and turn it into an entertainment district.

45 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Pretty excited about the plans for the strip of buildings on West Morehead. The highrise must be a long way off if they are planning to renovate the current buildings and turn it into an entertainment district.

It'll be a shame to lose them but at least people are taking the long view.

On 2/15/2016 at 11:52 AM, birky said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the old maps, these buildings fall directly over the old gold mines, correct?  I think I recall someone saying that a portion of the mines were filled in when the stadium was built, but if they're talking about underground parking, it seems like there could be some potential issues with the old mines, no?

Yes, sort of. The St. Catherine gold mine was in that area, but it had a lot of tunnels spread out all over the place. Depending on how deep they were, most of the tunnels were likely destroyed when they built Independence/Belk. This image is from an NC State study from 2005 that figured out approximately where the mines were located. "Approximately" being the key word in that sentence. Yellow shows the tunnels. The squares show the 'pump stations.'

StCatherine Mine.JPG

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ To paraphrase an earlier post of yours: I think Seversville will be the Bushwick of Charlotte (or maybe Gowanus)

Gowanus or Red Hook would be pretty good comparisons. 

Heres more

675.jpg

677.jpg

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21

Any word on the block that just had a few warehouses tore down this weekend? It's the block bordered by Bryant, Summit, and Morehead. You can see it frgom 77.

Edit: this isn't the office building is it? I thought that was 2 blocks over directly beside 77.

Edited by 11 HouseBZ