FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

The center city area needs about 2000 more units just like Warehouse3. They are affordable. This is exactly the thing that will bring diversity to CC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. and that seems to be what is happening at the fringes of downtown (in 3rd, 1st, and even 4th wards). Certainly it creates conditions where those affordable places will start being built just over the 277/77 loop when land gets scarce inside the loop.

There is quite a bit of land in that area of third ward, and i think if it grows modestly (just a few projects per year), this level of product will continue. i like that they are branding it the 3rd Ward Warehouse District, as it allows them to do more with their designs.

I've been searching my e-mails, because I feel like I've received some preliminary info on the development on the south side of Morehead, but to no avail......though if my memory serves me correctly, a large portion of the development will be suburban style townhomes built by Beazer starting at $170k.

I've been searching my e-mails, because I feel like I've received some preliminary info on the development on the south side of Morehead, but to no avail......though if my memory serves me correctly, a large portion of the development will be suburban style townhomes built by Beazer starting at $170k.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully with sidewalks and curb and gutter??? I hate when developers rip down all the trees, add one sidewalk on one side on only some of the roads, and then do those stupid sloped curbs (??) It looks so cheap.

Being inside the loop they are subject to much more stringent urban design standards. They will have to have sidewalks on both sides of the street, and proper curb and gutter. The project will be urban in design from a site plan perspective, but suburban in terms of architectual style....pitched roof, dormers, etc....of course that was several months ago and the project is still coming together.

• 2 weeks later...

how do you guys feel about the news that Beazer will be developing this area? Is it good, because it brings a national suburban namebrand to the center city, which has the possibility of opening up the market to some people who would otherwise have looked in the burbs? Is it bad because their product will likely be suburban style?

Personally, i'm a little disappointed.

how do you guys feel about the news that Beazer will be developing this area? Is it good, because it brings a national suburban namebrand to the center city, which has the possibility of opening up the market to some people who would otherwise have looked in the burbs? Is it bad because their product will likely be suburban style?

Well to get an idea check out Beazer's homes/townhomes at Atlantic Station in Atlanta. They aren't that bad, but I'd rather see something like Glenwood Park in Atlanta -

http://glenwoodpark.com/net/content/item.a...=27720.0.0.6078

ok.. that doesn't look too bad. it might have a similar effect of Saussy Burbank, which is a suburban developer with a big reputation, that built the zero-lot-line housing in first ward. a project like that south of morehead and 3rd ward warehouse district could really help build buzz.

i just hope they do a good job of building a dense neighborhood with unique home designs.

Gotta go with DB on this one, but it will add to the appeal which brings more people, etc. On the plus side, talk about a diverse neighborhood in that part of Uptown. You've got Beazer townhomes, Lela Court, old bungalows, warehouse lofts, warehouse offices, a football stadium, a train, a college, corporate offices, The Coffee Cup, etc.

I agree Glenwood Park looked good. Beazer's stuff at Atlantic Station was not shown on their web site. Some of their other townhomes in Atlanta looked better than average. For example:

http://www.beazer.com/findHome/houseplan.a...ommunityid=1381

Interesting to see their ameneties include sidewalks. Has it come to this?

The cool stuff at Atlantic Station seemed to be designed by other developers like Novare. But no matter, I don't see the appeal here. Why would you want to sit on your balcony stairing at a giant Ikea sign?

Back to Morehead...

Edited by graydog

• 2 months later...

Beazer bought up all the land off morehead from Crescent Resources and others last week.....paid over $17M for it. Either these are going to be some pretty expensive townhomes, or they will have to do more than 200 of them at that land basis......though I believe some commercial may be planned as well.

Beazer bought up all the land off morehead from Crescent Resources and others last week.....paid over $17M for it. Either these are going to be some pretty expensive townhomes, or they will have to do more than 200 of them at that land basis......though I believe some commercial may be planned as well.

Either way would be good for different reasons. I do hope, however, they do more units, for more reasonable price points.

Is there any plan to buffer these residences from the Pipe & Foundary facility just across Belk freeway, or is the freeway considered enough of a buffer to convince people to live here?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dubone,

thanks for the info. I have read about the Wesley Village project but it seems like the sign is on a 1-2 acre parcel of land and not 21 acres which I think would be across the street from the intersection that I am talking about. Not sure though..

Could it be Walnut Hill, which has info and links earlier in that same thread? I know there are a few very small scale projects in Wesley Heights that haven't really been on the radar much.