FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

On 6/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, tarhoosier said:

King James Version of Isaiah 62:4; "Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate; but thou shalt be called Hephzibah and thy land Beulah; for the LORD delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married."

Beulah land was a very popular hymn in the late 1800's and 1900s

On 6/8/2019 at 1:39 AM, JorgiPorgi said:

I’m from western NC- grew up in the Baptist church. “Beulah Land” was our jam. 

For the first 52 years of its existence First Baptist Church of Charlotte (McGlohon Theatre and new campus 2nd ward) was known as Beulah Baptist Church, so don't have to go far to find Beulah! source: https://www.charlottefbc.org/our-history

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking through the rezoning petitions today and stumbled upon this one along W Morehead and Wilkinson from M5 Properties. It’s a pretty decent sized swath of land (8.5 acres). Any insight as to what’s happening here? Unfortunately there’s no site plan or detailed information.

638BE859-B816-4D9D-BACB-2A23B7323F89.jpeg

493D9228-E3D5-4951-8E90-9938D8235C9B.jpeg

• Like 1

The applicant is a strip center developer, so that looks promising. They're also involved in a bribery/fraud lawsuit with Mattress Firm over paying off former Mattress Firm employees for deals, so seems especially promising. Not sure if it's close to a bus stop, but I don't see how this is a TOD site, but they do have a strong zoning attorney handling the rezoning, so it can't be completely off base. The Roby building close to the intersection is a really cool building, so it better not be going away for a lifeless strip center. 

11 hours ago, Prodev said:

The applicant is a strip center developer, so that looks promising. They're also involved in a bribery/fraud lawsuit with Mattress Firm over paying off former Mattress Firm employees for deals, so seems especially promising. Not sure if it's close to a bus stop, but I don't see how this is a TOD site, but they do have a strong zoning attorney handling the rezoning, so it can't be completely off base. The Roby building close to the intersection is a really cool building, so it better not be going away for a lifeless strip center. 

I always liked that building. Hopefully they can save it and repurpose it somehow!

On 9/16/2019 at 2:44 PM, tarhoosier said:

I then went to Noble Smoke and it is the most real as you have heard. I prefer my BBQ sandwich with larger pieces rather than bits and the server said I can request to my preference. They will chop as you wish. There was intermittent cleaver on board sound during my stay.

I too have been and I was disappointed. Way more attention was paid to the sizzle than the steak. Any one of you go to Lexington and eat at Lexington BBQ (The Monk) and then eat at Noble Smoke and then tell me you think they are even in the same universe. It's a shame that with Charlotte the size that it is, in a state famous for its BBQ, that no one can come up with a decent place to serve real, Lexington style BBQ. There are a couple of "decent" eastern NC BBQ restaurants, but nothing to rave about.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jednc said:

I too have been and I was disappointed. Way more attention was paid to the sizzle than the steak. Any one of you go to Lexington and eat at Lexington BBQ (The Monk) and then eat at Noble Smoke and then tell me you think they are even in the same universe. It's a shame that with Charlotte the size that it is, in a state famous for its BBQ, that no one can come up with a decent place to serve real, Lexington style BBQ. There are a couple of "decent" eastern NC BBQ restaurants, but nothing to rave about.

But Noble Smoke isn't the same kind of bbq as Lexington, right? From what I understand Lexington is a very specific way of preparing pork shoulder only and Noble Smoke is more about southern bbq as a whole.

• Like 3

Let's just all agree that Red Bridges is the best.  Also, why do people think Macs has good BBQ? I personally think it is terrible.

There was also a place I stopped at once near I-81 in Blacksburg, VA called Due South that had some really really good BBQ. If you're ever driving that way I highly recommend a stop. Only about 5 minutes from the highway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, t_money said:

Let's just all agree that Red Bridges is the best.  Also, why do people think Macs has good BBQ? I personally think it is terrible.

There was also a place I stopped at once near I-81 in Blacksburg, VA called Due South that had some really really good BBQ. If you're ever driving that way I highly recommend a stop. Only about 5 minutes from the highway!

Perhaps not surprisingly, it's all location dependent. I've been really happy with Macs up in Cornelius, for example, but the one on South Blvd hasn't been good for a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1