FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

19 hours ago, jednc said:

I too have been and I was disappointed. Way more attention was paid to the sizzle than the steak. Any one of you go to Lexington and eat at Lexington BBQ (The Monk) and then eat at Noble Smoke and then tell me you think they are even in the same universe. It's a shame that with Charlotte the size that it is, in a state famous for its BBQ, that no one can come up with a decent place to serve real, Lexington style BBQ. There are a couple of "decent" eastern NC BBQ restaurants, but nothing to rave about.

18 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

But Noble Smoke isn't the same kind of bbq as Lexington, right? From what I understand Lexington is a very specific way of preparing pork shoulder only and Noble Smoke is more about southern bbq as a whole.

1 hour ago, t_money said:

Let's just all agree that Red Bridges is the best.  Also, why do people think Macs has good BBQ? I personally think it is terrible.

There was also a place I stopped at once near I-81 in Blacksburg, VA called Due South that had some really really good BBQ. If you're ever driving that way I highly recommend a stop. Only about 5 minutes from the highway!

59 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Perhaps not surprisingly, it's all location dependent. I've been really happy with Macs up in Cornelius, for example, but the one on South Blvd hasn't been good for a long time. 

Y'all... I just ate at Midwood Smokehouse for the first time yesterday: I had their pork shoulder. It tasted like it was out of the hot bar at Harris Teeter. What's up with that? And what style are they going for?

Also Sweet Lew's pork shoulder is killer; seems to be very simple and straightforward style... what style is Lew's?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

But Noble Smoke isn't the same kind of bbq as Lexington, right? From what I understand Lexington is a very specific way of preparing pork shoulder only and Noble Smoke is more about southern bbq as a whole.

Yes. You are correct. I didn't do a very good job articulating my point. I guess Noble Smoke is eastern NC style. I think there are a couple of places in town that do an ok job at that. Noble Smoke is just ok in that category in my opinion. But, the BEST NC style is Lexington and I wish Charlotte had at least one good offering of that. For me, that blows all other BBQ out of the water.

I have only tried the pork at NS, so everything else might be fantastic. I didn't like the coleslaw at all. The mac and cheese was pretty good...but not the style of mac and cheese for a BBC joint. Therein lies the problem I guess. I'm more of a BBQ joint type than a BBQ Restaurant type.

To each his own though. I really hope the place is successful because it's nice to see some life down Freedom Dr. I'm old enough to remember when that was an economically healthy part of Charlotte.

1 hour ago, t_money said:

Let's just all agree that Red Bridges is the best.  Also, why do people think Macs has good BBQ? I personally think it is terrible.

There was also a place I stopped at once near I-81 in Blacksburg, VA called Due South that had some really really good BBQ. If you're ever driving that way I highly recommend a stop. Only about 5 minutes from the highway!

I always get the two Bridges in Shelby confused. I like the one on Hwy 74 (I think that's Alston Bridges) while everyone else in my entire family prefers Red's. I like Red's too, just not as much. Still, I'd take either over anything I've ever tried in Charlotte.

I'll have to put Due South on my todo list!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Y'all... I just ate at Midwood Smokehouse for the first time yesterday: I had their pork shoulder. It tasted like it was out of the hot bar at Harris Teeter. What's up with that? And what style are they going for?

Also Sweet Lew's pork shoulder is killer; seems to be very simple and straightforward style... what style is Lew's?

I couldn't agree more about Midwood. I just don't understand what there is to like. I went to the one in Midwood, and it was ok a long time ago. The one in Birkdale had gotten progressively worse up to the last time I went. Maybe it's better now...I doubt I'll ever know.

I'm sorry I have hijacked the thread.

Edited by jednc
apology
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

9 hours ago, jednc said:

I couldn't agree more about Midwood. I just don't understand what there is to like. I went to the one in Midwood, and it was ok a long time ago. The one in Birkdale had gotten progressively worse up to the last time I went. Maybe it's better now...I doubt I'll ever know.

I'm sorry I have hijacked the thread.

I need to try Sweet Lews. Have heard good things!

OK. Back to FreeMore West...

17 hours ago, jednc said:

Yes. You are correct. I didn't do a very good job articulating my point. I guess Noble Smoke is eastern NC style. I think there are a couple of places in town that do an ok job at that. Noble Smoke is just ok in that category in my opinion. But, the BEST NC style is Lexington and I wish Charlotte had at least one good offering of that. For me, that blows all other BBQ out of the water.

I have only tried the pork at NS, so everything else might be fantastic. I didn't like the coleslaw at all. The mac and cheese was pretty good...but not the style of mac and cheese for a BBC joint. Therein lies the problem I guess. I'm more of a BBQ joint type than a BBQ Restaurant type.

To each his own though. I really hope the place is successful because it's nice to see some life down Freedom Dr. I'm old enough to remember when that was an economically healthy part of Charlotte.

I always get the two Bridges in Shelby confused. I like the one on Hwy 74 (I think that's Alston Bridges) while everyone else in my entire family prefers Red's. I like Red's too, just not as much. Still, I'd take either over anything I've ever tried in Charlotte.

I'll have to put Due South on my todo list!

Red bridges is on 74- Alston Bridges is off 18 and it’s the best! 

SHELBY/LEXINGTON BBQ are the BEST bbq. Fight me. 

• Like 3

Noble smoke's BBQ was bland and dry. I see no reason to return. I wouldn't describe it as Eastern, either.

Based on what the bartender shared, they're not adding any sauce or liquids during the smoking process - they're only adding salt and pepper. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but the BBQ I had reflected that method - and it was dry/bland and I needed to add sauce for it to be considered decent. I had the brisket, pork, and wings. Each wing still had  the little chicken hairs poking through - which should have been removed during prep.

Beautiful space and Jim Noble obviously sunk a bunch of time and money into up fitting it (and driving around the state "learning"). But the BBQ just sucked. I've heard transplants (not from NC) rave about it though, but they're the same people who think Midwood is the cat's meow. I encourage everyone to go try it and make up your own minds.  I was hoping it would be incredible because it could have been a go-to for out of town guests. I'll go back in another month or so to see if things have improved.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Noble smoke's BBQ was bland and dry. I see no reason to return. I wouldn't describe it as Eastern, either.

Based on what the bartender shared, they're not adding any sauce or liquids during the smoking process - they're only adding salt and pepper. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but the BBQ I had reflected that method - and it was dry/bland and I needed to add sauce for it to be considered decent. I had the brisket, pork, and wings. Each wing still had  the little chicken hairs poking through - which should have been removed during prep.

Beautiful space and Jim Noble obviously sunk a bunch of time and money into up fitting it (and driving around the state "learning"). But the BBQ just sucked. I've heard transplants (not from NC) rave about it though, but they're the same people who think Midwood is the cat's meow. I encourage everyone to go try it and make up your own minds.  I was hoping it would be incredible because it could have been a go-to for out of town guests. I'll go back in another month or so to see if things have improved.

When did you go, this is the opposite experience I had two weeks ago, and I understand they changed pork providers to Cheshire Pork, within the last month.  Jim is a family friend, and he was there, so our food was pretty much hand picked by him and the general manager. Was some of the best bbq I've had outside of Lexington and Austin.

Edited by Guest

I went during their soft opening. I’m going to give it another go, but I was definitely disappointed during my visit.

@Bruco72 I have never smoked so I don’t know what the accurate method is. The bartender indicated they weren’t using rubs or anything - which seems odd to me. But I’m certainly no expert so fairly ignorant on the subject. Just sharing my experience and encouraging others to give it a try for themselves.

Edited by Urban Cowboy

8 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I went during their soft opening. I’m going to give it another go, but I was definitely disappointed during my visit.

@Bruco72 I have never smoked so I don’t know what the accurate method is. The bartender indicated they weren’t using rubs or anything - which seems odd to me. But I’m certainly no expert so fairly ignorant on the subject. Just sharing my experience and encouraging others to give it a try for themselves.

Okay, so they have changed to Cheshire pork since then, which is way way way way way way way superior. 

41 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Decided I needed to get over there and just got back

Brisket: melt in your mouth awesome. Best brisket I've ever had not in the state of Texas. 

Pork: very good, but I've had better

To your point @Urban Cowboy, they aren't using spice rubs (just salt and pepper). I think that works perfect for brisket but less perfect for pork. I'd like a more pronounced spice rub on the pork. But the moisture was good and I liked all 3 of their BBQ sauces.  

I got the corn on the side. Its basically the same as the corn at Rooster's, which is fine by me as its great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

Decided I needed to get over there and just got back

Brisket: melt in your mouth awesome. Best brisket I've ever had not in the state of Texas. 

Pork: very good, but I've had better

To your point @Urban Cowboy, they aren't using spice rubs (just salt and pepper). I think that works perfect for brisket but less perfect for pork. I'd like a more pronounced spice rub on the pork. But the moisture was good and I liked all 3 of their BBQ sauces.  

I got the corn on the side. Its basically the same as the corn at Rooster's, which is fine by me as its great. 

The tellicherry pepper they use is really smokey, sweet and peppery 

• 1 month later...

I just heard of freight district myself.  Usually these names come from real estate people and or developers.  I came up with LoSe lower south end but it never took off.  Also nicknamed west Morehead after Pinkys the upper west side due to its elevation change.  Only my client and I call it that.  Lol

• Haha 3

Thrift Road is a fine name and historic as cotton lint and copper pennies on a steel rail

Thrift Road is textile related, based, I presume, on the Thrift Mill complex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Thrift_Mill

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/12/21/thrift-mill/

The Thrift Depot was on the Piedmont and Northern RR on Mount Holly Road

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/12/21/thrift-depot-of-the-piedmont-and-northern-railroad-company/

Moved a few hundred yards in 2016

https://www.wolfehousebuildingmovers.com/project/pn-thrift-depot-relocation/

The mill was served by the P&N and was just west on the line from Hoskins Mill

Drive out to the west county and learn from our forebears.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

the Thrift road corridor right off Freedom close to W Morehead is dominated by one storage warehouse buildings.  Over time these have become obsolete.  Check out my photos above to see what I am talking about.  Some firms needed some storage and warehousing were left in this area however all the freight is handled by big box warehouses with 30-36 foot ceilings in the suburbs like the Amazon warehouses or even closer to this area the new warehouse put up at Tuckaseegee and I-85 near Freedom drive exit.   These one story buildings were very similar to those in Southend that are now breweries or plowed over.  Hence that is possibly why the name Freight District came up and remember Southend is a made up name.  I knew it as north end of South Blvd. and nobody called it Southend 25 years ago.  

all this talk of the Freight district makes me want to the go to the neighborhood's best restaurant Noble Smoke. 

• Like 4