FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

9 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Did the ownership change?

I don't think there's been any ownership change, but I also don't know the rationale for the changes.  They needed to do some work to replace the floors and other fixtures damaged in a water main break toward the end of last year, but that alone wouldn't justify the wide-sweeping changes.  I agree that it feels a bit less authentic now -- a bit more sterile.  Thankfully, the food is still awesome and the people are great, so I will continue to frequent the place.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, a2theb said:

Seemingly every warehouse on Thrift is gutted. This area is going to look completely different in 2-3 years.

Yeah it's pretty crazy.  I went to Lucky Dog two weekends ago and was shocked at the transformation of that area since I was last there in late Fall.  Its sort of an odd area but as rent in warehouse space booms in Noda and Southend, this is a good alternative for breweries/restaurants/shops hoping to break into the market with easy car access.

2 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Yeah it's pretty crazy.  I went to Lucky Dog two weekends ago and was shocked at the transformation of that area since I was last there in late Fall.  Its sort of an odd area but as rent in warehouse space booms in Noda and Southend, this is a good alternative for breweries/restaurants/shops hoping to break into the market with easy car access.

Speaking of Lucky dog, the warehouse across Jay Street and next to Not Just Coffee (currently home to Custom Polymers) looks to be the next to get developed. There were some banners hanging off the building advertising office and retail space.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 12:57 PM, KJHburg said:

forgot these from the other day.   New apartments on W Morehead up the hill from Pinkys and the renovation of the Salt and Vinegar continues (the old potato chip factory) 

IMG_6298.JPG

What's the plan here? Looks like that building needs a lot of work!

36 minutes ago, t_money said:

O! Looks pretty cool. Yes a lot of work to do then :)

Does Legion have some ultimate plan to take over Charlotte? They have locations popping up everywhere.

and one to be announced at Legacy Union

• 2 weeks later...

Savona Mill is a project of Argos Advisors. Greg Pappanastos president.

http://argosadvisors.com/

When the car 85 original trolley was running  and then for a few years afterward there was a private organization in charge and Greg was head of that. The new trolley building at Camden and South Tryon was part of that private-public arrangement. (see link below) He has been a strong trolley supporter for years and much was because of the unique development potential it offered. He is now head of Lakewood Trolley which hopes, sometime, to run on the tracks from his mill to the Panther Stadium and maybe more. As many here know there are tracks there along that greenway. Those trolleys are from somewhere, I know not where. IF a trolley could run they MIGHT be used as the superstructure of running cars, or static displays, or advertising for special event/photo opportunities or other promotional options. Those are not original Charlotte street cars. They were not owned by Charlotte Trolley which had only the Little Red Car from Greece, and a car from Connecticut which sits in the former Trolley building now the Powerhouse Studio.

https://www.charlottesgotalot.com/things-to-do/attractions/charlotte-trolley-powerhouse-studio

I was there when the yellow car was lifted into the air by crane and dropped into that Camden building and the the roof was completed after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are a few more over in Savona Mill area indoors including the storied #85.  I don't recall the history of the two sitting in the parking lot nor the bus.  The ones in the lot look similar in structure to #85.  "Car No. 1 is not an original Charlotte streetcar. It was found in Greece, transported to the U.S., restored in New England and then sent to Charlotte for operation on the South End trolley line. While Car No. 85 was under restorations, Car No. 1 was the first car to ever run on the restored former Norfolk Southern tracks South End line."

IMG-4276 (1).jpg

• Like 4

The Greek car #1 ran from Athens to Piraeus, the port of Athens. It is a small car and has a mechanical brake, not hydraulic, so would never carry passengers again. I recall it being on the track near the trolly barn at Atherton about 20 years ago during Greek Festival, adorned with Greek flags. The Greek community assisted with donations to restore it, as I recall. I believe it was used for wedding photos and other such opportunities. It stayed in the Atherton Mill barn while the South End Market operated there and when the new Atherton owners were preparing for our current Atherton project it disappeared and I knew not where it went. Now I know. The original #85 car retired to the South End Facility and could occasionally be glimpsed as I drove or cycled by. Greg Pappanastos has provided a safe dry storage location and I am sure that CATS is happy to eliminate one of their storage issues.

A small point but the Greek car would have made any small "run" on the original tracks and not restored line (depending on the definition of "restored").

LA-Thanks for the update

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...