FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That is the old rail / trolley line right there next to it, yeah? I'm sure we're gonna have the trolleys that are sitting on the old Mill property next to Blue Blaze rolling along these tracks soon, right Charlotte? Right???!!!

I have heard absolutely nothing about the Lakewood Trolley project since the rotting refurb projects were delivered more than 18 months ago. There has been Zero visible progress on the vehicles or tracks in that time. It really does not seem like Pappanastos / Argos have their crap together on their trolley refurbishment plan.

I will note that AFIK CATS has not said anything about how they plan to dispose of their 3 vehicle replica trolley stock that was used on the Gold Line. CATS has no plans for those vehicles, they can't be used on the Gold Line anymore since all the platforms have been raised, and they are likely to be more reliable than what Lakewood is trying to ducktape back together so it would make sense...

(in the pre-Blue Line days, Charlotte Trolley ran the vehicles with a diesel generator in tow for power -- no cat wire needed).

The original Charlotte Trolley organization seemed pretty robust, I am surprised that none of them appear to be involved in the Lakewood operation. Tarhooser might have a few things to say about what happened to that institutional capacity.

Enough redevelopment is happening over here that we are also not far from being able to create a solid Business Improvement District operation on lower Tuck and Thrift should the new arrivals to the area be inclined.

Edited by kermit

When the trolley stopped running most of the operators were retirees and had kept their hand in as a civic donation. They were uninterested in the hard graft of raising funds, restoration and such. There was one man who was paid to supervise the mechanical repairs, Chris Allen. He moved on to other things. There was a trolley director who was a fund raiser and spokes person, Andrea (Something) who stayed as long as the funding continued but then left. The Trolley Museum building changed ownership. There was a board at that time but it was my impression that the board was along for the ride, so to speak, and once the light rail was more than a vision their goal was complete. I, myself, was disappointed that my interest in continuing activity beyond 2007 LRT opening was unrequited. I believe  that from Dan Morrill and others in the late 80's onward the goal was to make city rail a reality and once the reality occurred further commitment withered. I was in a meeting with Pappanastos at the Trolley Museum 10-12 years ago and the Lakewood line was not mentioned. That is my only interaction with him.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

I just put a place under contract in the Wesley Heights area.  If all goes as planned, I'll be moving there from South End (right next to Atherton Mill) early next month.  I certainly hope this area continues to evolve.  I will miss sauntering to an adjacent wine bar or to a pub to watch a game in the way that I access those things in South End.  The new place in Wesley Heights is still largely residential with few entertainment spots to just walk to.  These adaptive reuse projects currently abounding in the area are certainly intriguing and creative, but I hope they go a little easy on making the asphalt seas of parking such prominent features in these developments.

Welcome to the neighborhood! Its not southend but there is something for everybody within walking distance (JBs, Rhino, Town, Blue Blaze, Lucky Dog, Summit Seltzers, etc)

On 10/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, AP3 said:

I believe it’s for parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boooooooo 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Multifamily apartments coming to W. Morehead. Two-way radio of Carolina is the listed business for the address.

TWRC owns the properties outlined in red.  I wonder if they are purchasing the properties in black for the apartments as well.  The properties in blue are for an upfit of existing building for office uses and construction of a parking lot for future office expansion.

W Morehead.PNG

Parcel: 06704515 (red)

Wood Morehead
Multi-Family apartment project.

(Being developed by Wood Partners??)

Parcel: 06704512 (blue)

Morehead Office Improvements
Detailed Scope of Work Existing Building to Remain, new driveway, new parking lot for future building expansion, required streetscape improvements Additional Comments or Concerns Portion of property is zoned TOD-CC, portion of property with existing building zoned I-1. Need to understand what streetscape improvements are required. ie, planting strip and sidewalk requirements. Existing building to remain in an existing setback, sidewalk and planting strip will need to be adjust based on current building.

Edited by AP3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anybody got the details on what’s being built on Calvert St. off of Morehead?  End of the buildings seem to be along the Lakewood Trolley area.  You can also see the construction from I-77 now.

Just additional apartments.  the original building next door was slated to be condos then converted to apartments and this is an extension of that I am pretty sure. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 5:48 PM, KJHburg said:

Just additional apartments.  the original building next door was slated to be condos then converted to apartments and this is an extension of that I am pretty sure. 

The original Phase I skybridge building is indeed condos (at least a decent amount of units are). These will all be apartments though and they have been cruising on the framing. 

Gotta feel for those on Summit who were spared losing their backyard skyline view in 2008 when phase 2 and 3 were scrapped but are losing it now but I guess life goes on.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your occasional reminder of the origin of Thrift and Thrift Road:

On 11/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, tarhoosier said:

I mentioned in the FreeMore West thread about Thrift Road and the complete rejuvenation of that street that it was related to the Thrift Mill. Here is the Thrift Mill at 8300 Old Mount Holly Road. It is now a drop area for shipping containers and truck parking. There is likely other use as there is a stair to the second floor. 

Thrift Mill was the last Mill in Mecklenburg County during a major expansion with all the mills we know today plus one or two others that have disappeared. All within 1889-1912.  Thrift is of a modern design without the crenellations and castle-like appearance. The P&N rail line served the mill and carried employees along the line that paralleled Thrift road to the P&N yard just past Hoskins Road on Rozzelles Ferry and then west. The P&N then went across the Catawba River and had a station in Belmont. This was an interurban line with overhead electric line and electric motive power for the cars. There was less concern about differing uses sharing the same tracks in those days.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_859.thumb.jpg.a96cd1094f24e2104b6ee7e1b9c5c8cf.jpg

This is the Thrift station and depot. It is at Tuckaseegee and Old Mt Holly Roads. Note that it is the same design as the Belmont station, though longer due to the freight, likely. The station is identical front and back and short side to short side. Doors, windows, and freight dock match, front and back.

This area is Tank Town for those who know about such things. Worth a drive to see the area of our city that involves working people and not IT and banking jobs. Many neighborhoods here with working class people and two parent families owning homes I bet. I drove through a few of them today. Nothing special, no city view. Children playing on the street as I was the only car. Well off the beaten path of our city.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_857.thumb.jpg.fc51ae6a2fdb280e4be64b67088a20e1.jpg

Thrift Mill water towers. Rail line is just beyond towers. Higher one now earns money as communication tower

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_856.thumb.jpg.ca4f8f0d1991dc70fdf4921b520fbb58.jpg

Stairs visible here. I assume this equipment is for rail connections for the Hoskins P&N and CSX, yard not far away.

WNfL3Eh1SIml6P6z6kvA1w_thumb_858.thumb.jpg.da444fd78361103c6a41ac8f8cd490ac.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...