FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

12 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

Some not so great pictures of a project that looks great so far! Lower Tuck.

DJI_0834-HDR-2.jpg

DJI_0804-HDR.jpg

DJI_0814-HDR.jpg

DJI_0819-HDR.jpg

DJI_0824-HDR.jpg

DJI_0829-HDR.jpg

Lovely pictures.  Greatly valued reuse projects.  Do I wish we had the makings of a fully pedestrian-accessible "stroll" district, with a reduction in setbacks and the re-done buildings and entrances abutting sidewalks and street-sides?  Yes.  But given that's not how these have ever been designed, this is certainly high-quality recycling.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

My architecture firm, WGM Design, just completed an adaptive re-use project at 901 Tuckaseegee with Trinity Partners.

More photos can be found here: https://wgmdesign.com/901-tuckaseegee/

Tuckaseegee_Twilight-2.thumb.jpg.9e87cfe19a5ae2163796c928aff7ea4f.jpg

Love the metal framing on the corner. On the website it looks like essentially metal stud framing that's been painted black; is that what it is? If so, it's a great way of taking a cheap material and really classing it up.

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Love the metal framing on the corner. On the website it looks like essentially metal stud framing that's been painted black; is that what it is? If so, it's a great way of taking a cheap material and really classing it up.

Thanks! The existing building is a pre-engineered metal building (PEMB), so those are just the exposed (and painted) z-girts after removing the metal siding. The rest of the exterior includes a couple types of composite siding and new metal siding. This shell building is still waiting for a tenant.

Edited by theronhobbs
typo
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

Thanks! The existing building is a pre-engineered metal building (PEMB), so those are just the exposed (and painted) z-girts after removing the metal siding. The rest of the exterior includes a couple types of composite siding and new metal siding. This shell building is still waiting for a tenant.

Strong work, Ron.  And you’re the only person I’ve seen that actually types anything in the “Reason for Edit” box.  Now that’s transparency!  :lol:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

Haha... also in full transparency, my first name is Theron. Pronounced "THERE-in." I went to my first UP meetup a few weeks ago. Looking forward to posting several more of our upcoming newsworthy project announcements in a couple threads that I think most will be interested in! Shhh...

That's funny. I see now why he thought your name was Ron, but I never questioned that it wasn't Theron. I had a cousin named Theron, so it looked right to me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

""Catalyst Capital Partners is working with Beauxwright and Mission Properties on a 213-unit multifamily project at 2401 Wilkinson Boulevard. It will include 46 for-rent townhomes, with the remainder of the units being apartments. The project has not been formally named yet, but developers are currently referring to it as Wilkinson Exchange.  Construction is expected to begin in January, with completion targeted for the fourth quarter of 2023.""

this is vacant land where W Morehead meets Wilkinson and will be a great addition to the area drove by the area today on my way to QT.

Wilkinson Exchange residential development starting soon - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

In my time that was a Howard Johnson motel and restaurant. HJ, home of 28 flavors of ice cream. Contemporary in the motel business with Holiday Inn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson's

always looked for orange and blue HoJo's roofs while travelling down I=95 from up north to the Carolinas when I was a kid. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

What does everyone think of FreeMore West?  What kind of gentrification "ceiling" do you think this area has, and what's the crime situation like now?  Growing up in Charlotte, this area always felt a bit dangerous/undesirable, but seems like things are starting to change a bit.  Any really cool developments or new restaurants in the area?  

Edited by cltheel.sdl

57 minutes ago, cltheel.sdl said:

What does everyone think of FreeMore West?  What kind of gentrification "ceiling" do you think this area has, and what's the crime situation like now?  Growing up in Charlotte, this area always felt a bit dangerous/undesirable, but seems like things are starting to change a bit.  Any really cool developments or new restaurants in the area?  

I sort of live in this area - Wesley Heights.  There's quite a bit of construction happening all around, which is exciting to see.  On the retail and commercial sides, however, much of the developments are set back from the street and so the area doesn't really feel walkably compact and dense.  That's because the warehouses getting redeveloped were already set back.

Having said that, there are new dining spots coming to the Lower Tuck reuse projects, and I think I'm most intrigued by what comes of the Savona Mill reuse project, which will include a renovated mill and amphitheater as the centerpiece, with hundreds of new residential units on adjacent properties.  Could make for a stunning campus of new and creative growth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

If you can afford to buy, make the investment. Winning.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Frankly, you're a bit late. You will deal with crime issues and be called a gentrifyer and deal with other issues/inconveniences (no Lowes and Publix on every corner). I'd be surprised if you don't see rapid appreciation in your home and if it's not for you just sell it and move elsewhere.  This area has some of the best skyline views around. 

This opinion is worth exactly what it cost.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...