FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

I was a little confused about that as well....maybe its going to be on both blocks. We'll find out soon enough. The Apartments are to be called 135 Morehead and that would correlate with the Winnifred, Morehead, Church, Carson block.

Hopefully something will go up where Overstock Market is too.

Edited by uptownliving

I just returned from a cross-country road trip and was able to visit some other Charlotte-sized cities. OKC is doing some incredible things in its downtown, btw. But it was my visit to Albuquerque that hit home. I was eating at a great restaurant/book store called the Flying Star Cafe and commented on the really cool mod condo project going in across the street from it. My traveling companion said, "Yeah, who'd a thought Beazer could build something that hip?" WHAT?!!? Sure enough I looked and saw the Beazer logo staring me in the face. The project is called Sliver Lofts. Check it out!

Edited by Miesian Corners

no way! see, this is the type of thing charlotte needs to be demanding form national builders like beazer... there is no reason why beazer couldn't implement something kinda like this in their morehead project.

charlotte, does indeed, allow carte blanche to developers.

we have to start looking west @ how some of their projects are mandated and begin implementing some of their progressive uses of design and materials (green, green, green). the least this city could do is take a tiny, tiny step forward and ban the use of EFIS.

hope you a had a great trip - MC.

Edited by cinco

Wow.... those actually look.... nice! I like the effects of the contrast colors in the back of holes of the alternative color. Very colorful. This area of town could definitly welcome projects as artsy and contemporary as these. I'm still shocked that that is beazer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took a little journey yesterday to come back with a construction update on Skybridge Terrace. I am pleased to say that things have improved much on site since I had last seen it. Phase One is well on its way, with about the first floor in the framing stage.

Uptown008.jpg

Second stage is already getting ready to have its foundations begun, also. The land is all cleared for it and piping/foundation work looks to be started soon. For Stage 3, the land is cleared and being used for cement block storage, etc. Also, they are starting a continuation of the street and it appears to wrap around the site to parking, possibly. What a great little project for Charlotte.

Uptown006.jpg

The rest of my pictures including the views of the city can be found here...

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/A...20Construction/

Looks like both of us have taken trips to West Morehead and SouthEnd recently with cameras in tow. ;)

I saw that project when I was in the area Monday but didn't really bother to check it out since I wasn't really in the mood to take construction shots. Plus I wasn't sure what it was, LOL.

Lol, yes I've been making an effort to try to make journeys to different areas in Charlotte the last week for construction shots. Just incase you missed it, the link for Skybridge Terrace is here. That area has also recently received some much needed roadwork, that has since been completed- paved road, streetscape impovements. It's a much more inviting atmosphere than when I had previously visited the site a few months ago.

EDIT: Oh, and I also just noticed on the website that this project will be getting a construction cam similar to all of our big projects around town, but it is still "Coming Soon".

Edited by Andyc545

Well, the rumors of Beazer selling their site appear to be true...and now I finally found out who bit.

Beazer is in need of cash for fiscal year '07 and I heard today that they will be unloading at least a portion of their W. Morehead property (of Coffee Cup infamy).

Currently, Lane Companies of Atlanta definitely has a large portion of the property under contract. They are hoping to close by the end of the month....I can't say for certain if they will but it seems like it would accomplish two companies' agendas. Beazer wants the cash, and Lane has been looking for entry into the urban Charlotte apartment market.

This would be great in my opinion. Not that Lane does amazing projects (they did the rental housing at Atlanta's Atlantic Station), but if it must be quasi-urban and large scale, then at least it will add some desperately needed apartments Uptown instead of an oversaturation of low-quality condos.

I believe that Beazer is still considering developing a small portion of the site, but there is a chance they may sell that as well, just not to Lane.

All in all, great news!

Well, the rumors of Beazer selling their site appear to be true...and now I finally found out who bit.

Beazer is in need of cash for fiscal year '07 and I heard today that they will be unloading at least a portion of their W. Morehead property (of Coffee Cup infamy).

Currently, Lane Companies of Atlanta definitely has a large portion of the property under contract. They are hoping to close by the end of the month....I can't say for certain if they will but it seems like it would accomplish two companies' agendas. Beazer wants the cash, and Lane has been looking for entry into the urban Charlotte apartment market.

This would be great in my opinion. Not that Lane does amazing projects (they did the rental housing at Atlanta's Atlantic Station), but if it must be quasi-urban and large scale, then at least it will add some desperately needed apartments Uptown instead of an oversaturation of low-quality condos.

I believe that Beazer is still considering developing a small portion of the site, but there is a chance they may sell that as well, just not to Lane.

All in all, great news!

Wow, thats a big announcement. It was funny because I was looking at townhomes up on Mallard Creek and noticed one of Beazer's complexes was never continued. I was inquiring there about a year ago and they had a lot of plans for expansion and had land cleared and all, and it looks like they never continued, not even any construction vehicles on the land anymore. I have a feeling there will be several sites being sold. For this site, I'm extremely happy. Although unfamiliar with Lane, any news on this site is possitive at this point.

All in all, great news!

Article in The Oberserver today discusses this. Beazer says an announcement will come in about 60 days. It was confirmed that an apartment developer was the lead runner for the site but didn't name them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally some info on Morehead Common! I think it looks as good as 3rd Ward Warehouse Dist. building on 1st street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14546606@N03/1940690622/

I wish someone would develop traditional brownstones, or rowhouses. This would have been a great area for architecture along those lines, but instead we get the same boxy/neo modern looking condo strip as everywhere else in the city. Are we doomed to modern architecture? (PS, I don't dislike it, just wish something else could be done)

I wish someone would develop traditional brownstones, or rowhouses. This would have been a great area for architecture along those lines, but instead we get the same boxy/neo modern looking condo strip as everywhere else in the city. Are we doomed to modern architecture? (PS, I don't dislike it, just wish something else could be done)

I wouldn't call it modern in style, as much as I would call it "South End Style". It doesn't bother me, but agreed it would be nice to see something different for the area. Either something really funky or something like the more classical rows you speak of would be nice. Oh well, can't complain though- it's definitly not an eye sore.

Agreed on the traditional brownstones......I think the problem is that people are willing to pay for a cheap-design-knock-off, which it makes it harder for a developer to be convinced people would pay the 20%-30% premium for a "real" brownstone.