FreeMore Projects (West Morehead, Freedom Drive, Bryant Park)

cooperdawg

Agreed on the traditional brownstones......I think the problem is that people are willing to pay for a cheap-design-knock-off, which it makes it harder for a developer to be convinced people would pay the 20%-30% premium for a "real" brownstone.

I know of at least 3 developers who have been contemplating building true brownstones in the area. Two in Southend (I know one is a definite but the plans will be at least 2 years out), the other near J.C. Smith. I really hope to see these as well -- I love the concept and the design, but you are right, it will have to be in a better market so the cost to build the real thing can be regained when selling. True brownstone architecture ain't cheap and if you don't put in the quality, especially on the outside, you really haven't built a brownstone.

Finally some info on Morehead Common! I think it looks as good as 3rd Ward Warehouse Dist. building on 1st street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14546606@N03/1940690622/

I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by this first rendering. My fears were of another "Block" like Ryans building in Southend. I think that this development will fit nicely with the others underway in the 3rd Ward Warehouse District. The design isn't cutting edge. I would call it the "standard Southend look". For a suburban production builder it's actually good. At least it relates to the area will keep the momentum of the W. Morehead corridor going. I hope that there was some thought as to live/work space and/or some type of retail in addition to just housing. This looks like a big development and the area needs support services.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like Beazer has released some renderings and a siteplan of Morehead Common. I like the look. It's a little brownstone and warehouse modern rolled into one. They made good use of brick, stone, stucco, and wood. The buildings all look different. I really like that concept. This is sooooo much better than the suburban Beazer stuff. I hope they sell well -- Beazer needs a break. I wonder if this will be the same design that will be used in Plaza Midwood? Siteplan, floorplans...etc are now on the website: www.moreheadcommon.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14618966@N08/2118277126

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14618966@N08/2118275416

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14618966@N08/2117499291

Hmm- I also like it. I was sceptical about what this project would produce given its suburban roots and advertising that says to 'live in a neighborhood', however those pictures look quite good, IMO, and hope that this could really add some character to the area, complimenting the warehouse area and south end style.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there will be any onsite retail / mixed use fronting Morehead?

Edited by Andyc545

Hmm- I also like it. I was sceptical about what this project would produce given its suburban roots and advertising that says to 'live in a neighborhood', however those pictures look quite good, IMO, and hope that this could really add some character to the area, complimenting the warehouse area and south end style.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there will be any onsite retail / mixed use fronting Morehead?

Unfortunately It is all residential fronting w. morehead, which is quite unwise IMHO. However we do have a small chance at some street level retail in the central parcel, bounded by Dunbar and South Clarkson, but I honestly doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

Skybridge Terrace is framed all the way up to the top floor now (5th floor). Didn't get any exterior pictures. But I did get this pic of the skyline from there. This has to be one of the best skyline views of the current projects going up.

skybridge.jpg

Oh and for everyone wondering where Public Access 21's TV studios are...well now you know :)

Skybridge Terrace is framed all the way up to the top floor now (5th floor). Didn't get any exterior pictures. But I did get this pic of the skyline from there. This has to be one of the best skyline views of the current projects going up.

Oh and for everyone wondering where Public Access 21's TV studios are...well now you know :)

Not only is that the Public Access Station Studio, but it's also a nice meeting spot for some "fishy people". I agree though, Skybridge Terrace has one heck of a view, especially considering the price tag on the units. Even the bottom two floors of Phase One has skyline views due to how everything is situated and there being nothing in line of view (aside from 77).

I went and picked out the upgrades for Skybridge Terrace. Nothing exciting and nothing contemporary about them at all. Oh, except for and iPod nook. Wow watch out Trademark/Avenue we gots some uprades of a life time over heer.

Plus they want 50% up front for any upgrades you choose! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? We've already given them 5% of the purchase price and now they want another 2-5k so they can buy the stuff. They have cut a lot of corners at this place, my unit has had the balcony trimed, master closet cut by 20-30sqft. windows shrunk and doors changed. I'm worried this place is going to look like a big trailer home.

I went and picked out the upgrades for Skybridge Terrace. Nothing exciting and nothing contemporary about them at all. Oh, except for and iPod nook. Wow watch out Trademark/Avenue we gots some uprades of a life time over heer.

Plus they want 50% up front for any upgrades you choose! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? We've already given them 5% of the purchase price and now they want another 2-5k so they can buy the stuff. They have cut a lot of corners at this place, my unit has had the balcony trimed, master closet cut by 20-30sqft. windows shrunk and doors changed. I'm worried this place is going to look like a big trailer home.

Ouch on all the cutbacks -- hopefully you'll still end up with a great place.

As for money down for upgrades, congrats on them only wanting 50% -- at 230 S. Tryon we had to pay 100% for any upgrades. This is actually common for many builders, maybe not all, but the reasoning is if you don't close and other buyers don't want to pay extra for custom or upgrade work that someone else wanted, the builder doesn't take the hit.

Ouch on all the cutbacks -- hopefully you'll still end up with a great place.

As for money down for upgrades, congrats on them only wanting 50% -- at 230 S. Tryon we had to pay 100% for any upgrades. This is actually common for many builders, maybe not all, but the reasoning is if you don't close and other buyers don't want to pay extra for custom or upgrade work that someone else wanted, the builder doesn't take the hit.

Thanks for the info. Man that sucks you had to pay full price on your upgrades. But 230 S. Tryon is a lot nicer too.

There is a new proposed building as part of the Grinnel Water Works complex on W. Morehead (roughtly across from Open Kitchen restaurant)

It is designed to look like a historic loft conversion, but this would be all new construction 60,000 sq. ft.

25049_primary.jpg

I like it. I'm glad they are trying to keep with the mill and industrial nature of the neighborhood. Like so much of central Charlotte this area screams

great potential, too often it's unfulfilled. It would be great if the walkable retail nature of Camden in Southend could replicated somewhat in this area.

I am not sure but it looks like this is a proposed renovation to the Water Works building that has been sitting vacant for a long time. It looks to me like they are blowing out the roof of the 3 story warehouse and adding an additional floor and the 'steeple'.

Just a guess.

I must add that I am extremely excited to see things getting going or at least being proposed on West Morehead.

It could be a very nice corridor in a couple of years.

Heard today that there will be a 2nd phase to Celadon which will be even "greener" than the first phase.....apparantly there is demand out there for environmentally responsible housing....who would have thought by looking at what most developers are offering..

Heard today that there will be a 2nd phase to Celadon which will be even "greener" than the first phase.....apparantly there is demand out there for environmentally responsible housing....who would have thought by looking at what most developers are offering..

I wonder where...near the first one? If not they are planning on keeping the Celadon name and building green housing around town. Nexts ones that I know of aren't nearby, in another part of town entirely, and are single family, very contemporary, completely green, and very cool.