1916 or 1913

tobias

I was walking around downtown yesterday and noticed a new brass sign on the south east corner of the Grand Hotel that said the Pantlind Hotel was built in 1916. I always thought it was 1913 (as in the "1913 Room"). Is there a reason why it would say "1916"?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that the Pantlind was raised several levels. Could the original hotel have been built in 1913 with the current facade and number of stories added in 1916?

Just a guess.

Joe

I was walking around downtown yesterday and noticed a new brass sign on the south east corner of the Grand Hotel that said the Pantlind Hotel was built in 1916.  I always thought it was 1913 (as in the "1913 Room").  Is there a reason why it would say "1916"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amway Grand History

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Amway/Pantlind stands on the site of the old Sweet Hotel, which was first built, I believe, in the 1850s. I think that the histories that I have read state that the Pantlind was completed in 1915.

By the way, the building across the way, the McKay Tower (is it still called that?) was built in stages. The bottom three floors, which looks like an old fashioned bank building, was built in 1915. The remaining 12 stories were completed in the mid-1920s. For many years (until the completion of the Amway Grand), this was the tallest building in West Michigan.

Come to think of it, wasn't the cornerstone always laid first with the date of proposed completion? Maybe it was started in 1913 and hence the name of the restaurant but wasn't fully completed until 1916. Or maybe I have it all wrong. :)

Joe

The Amway/Pantlind stands on the site of the old Sweet Hotel, which was first built, I believe, in the 1850s.  I think that the histories that I have read state that the Pantlind was completed in 1915. 

By the way, the building across the way, the McKay Tower (is it still called that?) was built in stages.  The bottom three floors, which looks like an old fashioned bank building, was built in 1915.  The remaining 12 stories were completed in the mid-1920s.  For many years (until the completion of the Amway Grand), this was the tallest building in West Michigan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is what I found in my "Heart & Soul of Great Grands":

1913 - Construction begins on the new Pantlind.

1916 - U.S. Senator William Arden Smith toasts at the grand opening of the new Pantlind, with 550 rooms and state-of-the-art technology.

This book is most accurate and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the history of GR. The book has lots of other interesting facts about the history of the Sweet's/Pantlind/Amway Grand Hotel. If anyone has any questions I can look it up in the book for them.

That makes sense...

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, thanks.

Of course, William Alden Smith is a name near and dear to all of us Titanic nuts, for he was the senator who led the American inquiry into the sinking.

It has been a long time since a Michigan Senator came from Grand Rapids, or even Western Michigan. I think the last one may have been Bob Griffin, who was from Traverse City.

Archived