Pops in the Park No Longer Free

DigitalSky

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ts/11498421.htm

The music lovers who flock to SouthPark this summer for the Charlotte Symphony's annual outdoor concerts will have to pack a little cash along with their blankets and picnic spreads.

The orchestra, struggling to overcome two years of deficits, will charge $5 a head when the concerts -- a free summertime treat for more than 25 years -- resume June 5.

"It was a painful decision ... but one that needed to be made," board member Adam Bernstein said Tuesday.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when something gets popular, it can't be free anymore. we need to start some bitter arguments about regional culture and city rivalries so that urban planet stays free :).

five bucks is fine, considering it it goes to excellent music in the city. the symphony had to go on strike before because they didn't make nearly the same wages as they should. funding things that are important to us will go a long way to making this city a great one.

Symphony to charge at SouthPark

The music lovers who flock to SouthPark this summer for the Charlotte Symphony's annual outdoor concerts will have to pack a little cash along with their blankets and picnic spreads.

The orchestra, struggling to overcome two years of deficits, will charge $5 a head when the concerts -- a free summertime treat for more than 25 years -- resume June 5.

when something gets popular, it can't be free anymore.  we need to start some bitter arguments about regional culture and city rivalries so that urban planet stays free :).

As long as I'm here, UrbanPlanet will ALWAYS be free for public consumption, so no worries. ;)

skys, don't forget you can still sit on morrison blvd nearby and listen for free, with your new g/f :).

You can also ride around on the goldrush trolley for free, and stand outside a suburban house and watch silent tv (assuming they haven't closed the shades). You can also bicycle on the current stretches of greenways for free (tandem bike not included). You can also live for free if you can figure out how to get into the old independence circuit city.

and i'm sure there are a couple more, too.

skys, don't forget you can still sit on morrison blvd nearby and listen for free, with your new g/f :).

You can also ride around on the goldrush trolley for free, and stand outside a suburban house and watch silent tv (assuming they haven't closed the shades).  You can also bicycle on the current stretches of greenways for free (tandem bike not included).  You can also live for free if you can figure out how to get into the old independence circuit city.

and i'm sure there are a couple more, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, thanks for the positive outlook on life dubone. How could they possibly enforce this, where would the perimeter for ticketing be? Cuz sound travels...

I'd like to know exaclty how they plan to charge. Are they going to put a fence all around the place?

People sit all over the parking lot and sidewalk to watch. You can even sit on the fountains across the street and see and hear. You won't be able to charge everyone.

The grassy area in front of the stage and the grass hill around the back of the pond are suppose to be "roped" off. I guess between the sidewalk and the street. I dont mind paying 5$ at all to see the symphony play, and would pay 15 if they asked for it. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, sitting on a blanket, reading a book or whatever your into, and have a cooler filled with your favorite drink, while listening to live classical music. I made it to the symphony playing Led Zepplin a couple weeks ago and thought it was one of the best concerts iv'e ever been too. It's nice to be able to have these types of events to go to, and wish they did the pops in the park all summer, but I guess money and scheduling dont allow that.

3 years in a row now iv'e missed donating money to npr(90.7) during their annual fund drive, because I just didn't have money at the time. Now that my finacial problems are hopefully over, I can give a little back to "free" educational events like this.

You guys should check out the symphony if you haven't, its a great time.

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE pops in the park, I always go with my friends at least once every summer and throw the frisbee in the street next to the little pond with the stage. That is why I am so disappointed, because it is such a community event where all of Charlotte comes together. This is a time where a corporate sponsor needs to step in, cough cough, BofA!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to a sponsorship deal, the concerts at SouthPark will remain free.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ts/11740071.htm

Sponsorship in the nick of time A donor has stepped in to help the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra's outdoor SouthPark concerts hang on to the free-of-charge status that audiences have loved for more than 25 summers.

Visa USA signed up Wednesday to sponsor the Sunday-night concerts, liberating the orchestra from its plan to charge $5 a head when the performances resume June 5.

Archived