• Announcements

    • Neo

      WARNING!   07/26/16

      By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
Raintree21

Charlotte trying to be more bike friendly

Recommended Posts

^ Welcome to Charlotte.  Here are a few strategic sites that could be useful...  

http://weeklyrides.com/   a very inclusive list of planned ( and not so planned rides ).

http://cltspokespeople.org/pmtnr/  The Plaza Midwood Tuesday night Ride .  Great place to meet fellow riders and enjoy a cold beverage to boot.

http://www.tripsforkidscharlotte.org/#!recyclery/c1iaq  The Trips for Kids Recyclery.  Great place to pick up a good deal on a used bike ( all shapes & sizes) and to hang out if you want to wrench a bit.

http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/  The Trailblazers have built almost every mountain bike trail in the area, and maintain them.  Site is updated daily for weather related trail closures or volunteer needs.  Great group of folks .

..and for that assh__e who went postal on you.. report the SOB thru this site.... http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/CDOTrequests/Pages/BicyclistReportonAggressiveDrivers.aspx . A letter will be sent to the driver noting his aggressive behavior and that a record of the incident will be put on file.  The incident is not reported to his insurance co. but if he is involved in a crash the filed information can be used in court. 

But best of all..get involved.  Sustain Charlotte received a ton of money from the Knight Foundation to promote cycling in the community and they're always looking for help in their efforts...  http://www.sustaincharlotte.org/bicycle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Okay, fantasy time.

 

I ride Old Pineville a lot.  It's basically an extension of the rail trail, but it sucks.  It's filled with rocks that you constantly have to avoid and is a fairly heavy through fare.  

Why can't the city do something like I've crudely drawn below?  It would simply take installing a small concrete curb to help separate bikes from traffic and keep rocks and crap from going in the bike lane.  And obviously a fresh paint job.  

 

But basically take the bike lane on the right side, remove it, shift the entire road left into its place, then create a separate bike lane with protection, and make it 2way.  I'd MUCH rather give up a foot of bike lane in it's current format, and in its place have some protection and only have to worry about the occasional rider.

 

Thoughts?  Is this feasable?  It doesn't seem too expensive to me.  And it would greatly increase the safety and usage of the artery, IMO.

 

Old Pineville.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most difficult aspect of your proposal is dealing with the cycle track when you get to intersections, assuming that bikes may be turning left and right, too (woodlawn, tyvola, arrowood, etc). Suddenly you need to get a bike, traveling against traffic, to cross oncoming traffic to get into a safe position to turn. One possible solution is bike-only signals that safely permit bikes ROW then stop bike traffic to allow car traffic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The most difficult aspect of your proposal is dealing with the cycle track when you get to intersections, assuming that bikes may be turning left and right, too (woodlawn, tyvola, arrowood, etc). Suddenly you need to get a bike, traveling against traffic, to cross oncoming traffic to get into a safe position to turn. One possible solution is bike-only signals that safely permit bikes ROW then stop bike traffic to allow car traffic. 

Agree.  I think the intersections would be the greatest cost.  But it's certainly feasible.  

It can be as basic as what they are doing in Chicago:

bidrect_PBL_Chicago_insx_crop.jpg

 

Or a much more complex design with greater protection:

FullResolution_ProtectedIntersection-1024x768.jpg

 

 

 

Frankly I'd be fine with the first example.  It's a vast improvement over our current situation, which is, no protection at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who would like to see and comment on how CDOT should connect Little Sugar & Irwin Creek, here's your chance.  My personal preference would be utilizing 7th Street.  It offers the least grade change from the 7th Street Bridge, an on-grade connection to the Blue Line, and connectivity to most of the Uptown's cultural/educational centers.   http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/PlansProjects/Pages/UptownUrbanTrailConnectionsStudy.aspx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised I'm the one to mention the bike barrier article from the Observer, but it seems to be a hit for people!!! Im personally scared of car traffic, so the barrier would definitely increase my chances of biking uptown/Charlotte. I think the lane would add another great alternative to reaching uptown without a car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cross posted from UNCC Construction thread: Bikeshare is coming to campus -- but its a different system that Bcycle. The UNCC system (Gotcha Bike) appears to be dockless. The incompatibility with bcycle really irks me. Is it possible that this is a sign that Bcycle is about to change its technology?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of using their Knight Foundation grant for an open streets-like program (like ours) Macon Georgia decided to build an 8 mile temporary network of protected bike lanes. Apparently it was a big success and may lead to the creation of permanent bike infrastructure. This is particularly remarkable because it is Macon

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/macon-bike-lane-popup-increased-cycling

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone up for a little Guerrilla Urbanism after a couple of pints of Hoppy Holidays? Wired has provided a handy price sheet for it:

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/just-bit-illegal-cheat-sheet-hacking-safer-streets/?mbid=social_twitter#slide-1

A little rule breaking is exactly what Charlotte needs. I propose a bike lane on Central from uptown to PM as the first project -- probably doable for less than $3k. Who wants to set up the crowdfunding page?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 11:08 PM, michaelef said:

Not much news by according to One305 Central (new apartments off Central in Plaza Midwood) a list of their amenities include a future B-cycle station.

http://www.one305central.com/one-305-central-charlotte-nc/features

No mentioned date. But if true, this will expand the bike share into Plaza!

Perhaps when they teardown something classic/fern, they will add Bcycle with the parking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kermit said:

Anyone up for a little Guerrilla Urbanism after a couple of pints of Hoppy Holidays? Wired has provided a handy price sheet for it:

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/just-bit-illegal-cheat-sheet-hacking-safer-streets/?mbid=social_twitter#slide-1

A little rule breaking is exactly what Charlotte needs. I propose a bike lane on Central from uptown to PM as the first project -- probably doable for less than $3k. Who wants to set up the crowdfunding page?

Although i like your enthusiasm, as a city planner i cringe at reading this and i think the code enforcement officer in my department just had a stroke after i forwarded the link to him.  But you do have a point, sometimes it does take a little bit of rule bending/breaking to get things done, but please, have the pints of beer AFTER you do this!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad the lanes are there but the Scaleybark lanes always seemed a little weird to me due to decent alternative routes and that they empty out onto the disaster that is Woodlawn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2016 at 4:08 PM, jtmonk said:

Although i like your enthusiasm, as a city planner i cringe at reading this and i think the code enforcement officer in my department just had a stroke after i forwarded the link to him.  But you do have a point, sometimes it does take a little bit of rule bending/breaking to get things done, but please, have the pints of beer AFTER you do this!!

There's an enforcement officer???? The bike lane at 3rd and Tryon outside WF is almost always blocked during AM by illegal parkers using ATM or going in bank. Same with most of the downtown bike lanes. Police just drive by. Is enforcement an actual outdoors job where they go and issue a ticket / tow the car? Is their a tip line or something to call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

There's an enforcement officer???? The bike lane at 3rd and Tryon outside WF is almost always blocked during AM by illegal parkers using ATM or going in bank. Same with most of the downtown bike lanes. Police just drive by. Is enforcement an actual outdoors job where they go and issue a ticket / tow the car? Is their a tip line or something to call?

That's kind of what kills me about this city.  They jump at the chance to take away a food truck in front of a brewery in south end, or enforce noise violations in Elizabeth with P Stones used to bring the funk on a Saturday night.

But bike lanes are obstacle courses and HOV lanes are abused into oblivion and nothing EVER happens.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

That's kind of what kills me about this city.  They jump at the chance to take away a food truck in front of a brewery in south end, or enforce noise violations in Elizabeth with P Stones used to bring the funk on a Saturday night.

But bike lanes are obstacle courses and HOV lanes are abused into oblivion and nothing EVER happens.  

And don't even get me started on red lights, blocking the box, cops parking in EV charging spots, no cross walk enforcement. Basically there is NO policing of traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

And don't even get me started on red lights, blocking the box, cops parking in EV charging spots, no cross walk enforcement. Basically there is NO policing of traffic.

I'm not sure that's fair.  They have done some high profile crackdowns on pedestrians jaywalking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teeg said:

I'm not sure that's fair.  They have done some high profile crackdowns on pedestrians jaywalking.

OK, I'll bite, is that supposed to be funny? Cause I laughed then had a hmmm moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

OK, I'll bite, is that supposed to be funny? Cause I laughed then had a hmmm moment.

Let's go with hmmm:

 

August 2016:

100 pedestrians given warning tickets for violating crosswalk laws at uptown intersection  

 

December 2016:

Uptown drivers, pedestrians warned for ignoring crosswalk laws

(not in the headline, but 140 pedestrians were given warning tickets)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a car turning right at Tryon and Stonewall honk at me for walking in the crosswalk legally while I had a white crossing light one morning while walking to work. So there is that. Apparently he felt he had the right of way. The whole turning left from Tryon to side streets in front of pedestrians thing is going to get someone killed one of these days. Drivers don't care, they gun it to turn left and beat on-coming traffic. Pedestrians, with the right of way, have to jump out of the way of the cars. I got a nice key mark down the side of a car that did that to me one day. It's the little things. I'm all for banning all left turns from Tryon. Period. Although people don't adhere to the temporary no left turn signs anyway. I have noticed many people who apparently failed drivers ed seem to think these signs are "Wait there until I turn off and then turn left" signs.

Edited by Squid7085
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.