Charlotte trying to be more bike friendly

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, michaelef said:

What's the best contact method for the city and cleaning up the bike lanes? I've noticed that even the new lanes in Plaza/ Parkwood Ave are just filled with debris. 

Small rant: Most roads in NoDa, Plaza,Northend full of debris and gravel. Meanwhile uptown and Southend are clean.

Probably 311?  I think those are city maintained streets

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

a gentle reminder to the bikers out there please let walkers on greenways like me know you are coming up behind me or others.  Simply use your bell or yell an audible.  I had a speeding bicycle come with 12 inches of my elbow while I was walking on the Little Sugar Creek Greenway south of Sharon Rd West today.   I do not wear earbuds but the birds and traffic in the distance or dogs barking I can't hear bicyclists coming up all the time.   I would say only 1 in 7 or 8 did notify me.   Or slow down.   Thank you! 

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those interested the Charlotte Urbanists group is trying to organize a critical mass bike ride in May.

From a reddit post, it looks like they're looking at May 27th at 5:30 but that could change. It sounds like they're working to get other Charlotte bike groups involved to make it as big as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I kinda figured they think the rail trail would suffice for that. However, the rail trail on a nice day is so crowded with walkers/joggers and it’s difficult sometimes weaving in n out of traffic with a bike. Heard one person as I rode by ask their friend if bikes are even allowed on the rail trail lol. Love the rail trail but wish it had a biking side and a walking side on each side of the tracks. 

Also, always found this odd on why the rail trail just ends at the apartment complex (right across from junction 1504). Any plans to ever connect this? Maybe when that lot gets developed. 
3AA22BFB-BD30-4955-9A71-B60D00059325.thumb.jpeg.34d27ec812ca25548977d8aa77116cc0.jpeg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NYC is considering a program that would pay people who report violators  25% of ticket revenue for blocking  bike lanes (would be an approximately $40 bounty). Lets jump on this bandwagon, Johnny Jennings sign me up!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-29/nyc-may-pay-people-for-reporting-bike-lane-blockers

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

NYC is considering a program that would pay people who report violators  25% of ticket revenue for blocking  bike lanes (would be an approximately $40 bounty). Lets jump on this bandwagon, Johnny Jennings sign me up!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-29/nyc-may-pay-people-for-reporting-bike-lane-blockers

They talked about this in the DC Reddit yesterday and essentially imagining bringing it to DC, and the consensus in a city with crazy drivers like DC (where bikers flicking motorists off can result in a weapon being pulled), deputizing citizens like this is an easy way to get your a** whooped. 

I'm not sure about NYC, but in DC, most of the vehicles parked and/or blocking bike (and bus) lanes are either police or government vehicles anyways. 

22 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

They talked about this in the DC Reddit yesterday and essentially imagining bringing it to DC, and the consensus in a city with crazy drivers like DC (where bikers flicking motorists off can result in a weapon being pulled), deputizing citizens like this is an easy way to get your a** whooped. 

I'm not sure about NYC, but in DC, most of the vehicles parked and/or blocking bike (and bus) lanes are either police or government vehicles anyways. 

Meh, no one should negotiate with terrorists / bullies.

“Better to die on your feet than live on your knees”

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Meh, no one should negotiate with terrorists / bullies.

“Better to die on your feet than live on your knees”

I’d agree with that in a lot of circumstances, but I really have a huge thing of not confronting people unless you’re in immediate danger and you have to defend yourself. It’s best just to report to police even if it leads nowhere. Eventually people get caught assuming the municipality doesn’t ignore crime and let it spiral out of control. I know some call it victim-blaming but it really is just about being safe. 

Way, way too often do people put themselves in a more dangerous situations by responding directly to wrong-doers in the city. Way, way too often a response to an aggressor, a wrong-doer, etc. can turn into a life threatening situation as opposed to just ignoring and going to authorities, various representatives and other groups (which there are plenty in DC) and trying to address problems through certain channels. Whether that’s more protected bike lanes, cameras, police presence, etc. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’d agree with that in a lot of circumstances, but I really have a huge thing of not confronting people unless you’re in immediate danger and you have to defend yourself. It’s best just to report to police even if it leads nowhere. Eventually people get caught assuming the municipality doesn’t ignore crime and let it spiral out of control. I know some call it victim-blaming but it really is just about being safe. 

Way, way too often do people put themselves in a more dangerous situations by responding directly to wrong-doers in the city. Way, way too often a response to an aggressor, a wrong-doer, etc. can turn into a life threatening situation as opposed to just ignoring and going to authorities, various representatives and other groups (which there are plenty in DC) and trying to address problems through certain channels. Whether that’s more protected bike lanes, cameras, police presence, etc. 

I agree. I'm relatively assertive and have no issue being confrontational, but there are just certain things I would not do in DC (or NYC/LA). It reminds me of this incident that took place earlier this year in Logan Circle (DC):

I can't recall the specific details, but I believe the driver of the pick up truck was honking their horn at the car in front for not moving, and then the driver of the car got out with the baseball bat going all gung ho. 

There are tons of maniacs out there who treat gestures like the honking of a horn or giving the middle finger as a huge sign of disrespect, and immediately resort to violence. The lack of consequences for such behavior ultimately ends up encouraging it.