Charlotte trying to be more bike friendly

^ I generally agree and confrontation is often not beneficial. However, bounty programs like this don’t require anyone to get involved, and if even just a few folks report violators that serves the purpose of making parking scofflaws live in fear. Making asshole drivers constantly look over their shoulders would contribute a bunch to proper enforcement.

3rd and 4th Street by the atm's drives me nuts. Need some spikes on my wheels to scratch down the car side. JK.

I agree with Air too many nuts out there to confront people in person. Maybe all the cops walking around there protecting the banks could occasionally write a ticket! 

Edited by elrodvt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Woman on motorized wheelchair dies after being hit crossing Pineville street, police say
https://www.wbtv.com/2023/02/16/woman-motorized-wheelchair-dies-after-being-hit-crossing-pineville-street-police-say/

Although this is not directly bike related but it's tied to pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure. This is proof that there's a dire need for more substantial pedestrian (sidewalks that are ADA-compliant), cyclist, and multimodal infrastructure in other municipalities aside from Charlotte in the metro area. Pineville elected nor technical staff level officials have been intentionally absent on adding to nor improving their pedestrian nor ADA-compliant infrastructure within the town limits. More unfortunate collisions like this are going to become more frequent in Pineville, Mint Hill, Huntersville, Cornelius,  Davidson, Belmont, Gaston, Cabarrus, and Union counties, Lancaster and York counties in South Carolina as more of the lower income, carless due to economic reasons population are pushed out of the City of Charlotte proper.  All these other jurisdictions need to become more intentional with adding to the regional sidewalk infrastructure along with more ADA-compliant crosswalk signal beacons. 

Edited by kayman
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's some good news: 

I didn't know We have a Quality of Life team here in Charlotte, but I'm here for it. I wish they would ticket everyone parking improperly.

Some of my favorite, widespread parking violation peeves:

(3) So as to obstruct a curb ramp or curb cut for handicapped persons.

(4) In front of or within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

(9) On a sidewalk. This provision shall not be applicable to non-motorized bicycles, electric assisted bicycles, or electric standup scooters.

(10) On a street in front of a public or private driveway.

(12) On a crosswalk.

(13) On a street within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.

(14) On a street within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing signal, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway.

(21) On a street other than parallel with the edge of the roadway, headed in the direction of traffic, and with the curbside wheels of the vehicle within 12 inches of the edge of the roadway, unless authorized to do otherwise by appropriate signs.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:23 PM, KJHburg said:

Should Charlotte uptown or even Southend build some of these bike garages like in Atlanta?

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/new-bike-garage-midtown-does-atl-need-more-these?

Bike%20garage%20Midtown.jpg?itok=lzDfwWYM

I would love to see more of this in Charlotte: Amsterdam’s underwater parking garage fits 7,000 bicycles and zero cars - The Verge

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davidclt said:

Some of my favorite, widespread parking violation peeves:

(9) On a sidewalk. This provision shall not be applicable to non-motorized bicycles, electric assisted bicycles, or electric standup scooters.

I know that you're talking about automobiles, but here ... when the scooter rental companies send their recharger people out to block the sidewalk with electric scooters, that's actually LEGAL?  I always assumed that there was some grey area there, like nobody in city hall ever thought about the scooters, but city ordinance blesses this practice?!   

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, kermit said:

This list makes me VERY confused

image.thumb.jpeg.14f9d5b6da6c451a22bdf89ec7d21645.jpeg

Without seeing the absolute numbers it's pretty useless.

I can imagine the Richmond increase to be something like 1000 trips a month went to 1685. 😅but I haven't lived there since the 70's so maybe things are looking up. Last visit I didn't notice that though?

Las Vegas? That sounds suicidal! 

Edited by elrodvt

• 4 months later...

Do we have a bike infrastructure/projects page on the main forum yet? I looked and couldn't find one. I think it would be helpful to keep track of all the existing, planned, or under-construction bike paths/multi-use paths in Charlotte, besides just the greenways. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was told today that these are bike off ramps from the road back on to the sidewalks to cross more safely at intersections.  This particular one is on the new Lower Avenue in the Ballantyne Reimagined.  The new roads there all have bike lanes but I did not know this.  

Below is an off ramp leaving off the bike road on the road to the sidewalk to cross the street then there was a bike on ramp back on the street.  

20240316_120713.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/16/2024 at 4:10 PM, KJHburg said:

I was told today that these are bike off ramps from the road back on to the sidewalks to cross more safely at intersections.  This particular one is on the new Lower Avenue in the Ballantyne Reimagined.  The new roads there all have bike lanes but I did not know this.  

Below is an off ramp leaving off the bike road on the road to the sidewalk to cross the street then there was a bike on ramp back on the street.  

20240316_120713.jpg

Looks like they call this A bike ramp at shared use path in the COC development standards:

https://www.charlottenc.gov/files/sharedassets/city/v/1/growth-and-development/documents/cldsm/1000-series/1043.pdf

• Like 2