Charlotte trying to be more bike friendly

This is a great milestone for Charlotte. It's especially great for Uptown, Midtown, and South End.

However, I do wish NoDa, Elizabeth, Midwood, Dilworth, Queens U, and JCSU had also been included. Hopefully, there will be future phases to at least expand to the first-ring neighborhoods within a short bike ride of Uptown.

Small blocks, sidewalks and the shorter station-spacing on the LYNX line already provide great non-motorized accessiblity in Uptown and South End. A bike is most useful when it's a bit far to walk, but still a short distance to drive, and especially where auto parking is usually less convenient than bike parking.

Just as folks worry about the Starter Streetcar Project being too short to be successful, and thereby risk future expansion, I'm a little worried that this Bike Charlotte pilot will miss areas that have huge bike demand. Ultimately, I would think there would be more folks wishing to travel to/from Uptown on a bike, then just within Uptown. On these types of systems, the first 30 minutes are free. To stay within the 277 loop, I'm not sure you would even need 15 minutes on a bike. As a urban transportation rule, under a mile is best walked, while 1-3 miles are best biked.

My wife and I used a similar bike sharing service in Minneapolis (great city, especially in the summer/fall if you've never been). Glad to see it's making its way here. Hopefully expanding to other parts of CLT. As kermit said, Charlotte is almost looking like a real city in that regard.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Charlotte's Big Bingo Bike Ride is this Saturday, May 11th @ 11:00.  Registration starts @ 10:00.   Start & Finish at the Ice House in Southend.  Riders will get their Bingo numbers at 11 Stops including the two Common Markets, the 7th Street Station, the McGill Rose Garden, the Re-Cyclery, Smelly Cat, Cherry Berry in the Metropolitan, The Nature Museum, Winghaven, and the Davidson Chocolate Co. on East Blvd.  The $20.00 fee includes music & BBQ at the finish & free samples & entry at the stops.  All proceeds benefit CABA - Charlotte's Bicycle Advocacy group.  The route is designed as a slow, family ride taking riders to some of Charlotte's unknown treasures...  

To register go to...

www.cyclecharlotte.org  

Cool, sounds like maybe a slightly more casual version of the New Belgium Urban Assault Ride we've had the last 3 years (which unfortunately is taking a year off this year, all stops not just Charlotte). I would have loved to participate if I wasn't already doing the Beer Bourbon BBQ fest that day :)

WFAE had a story this morning about B-Cycle and how it's going. http://wfae.org/post/after-nine-months-b-cycle-catching-charlotte

From the end, "In total, B-Cyclers have taken close to 22,000 trips since August. Those numbers are in line with the first year of Madison, Wisconsin’s program – that’s a much more bike friendly city that launched with a bigger network." 

Thats great news and I think it will only get better as more people discover it and they continue to expand.  It's somewhat discouraging that our daily pass is the most expensive in the nation.  I've personally not used the system yet because it's expensive without a yearly pass.

"we have one rider in South End that checks out the same bike from the same dock every time."

hahaha I think that might be me @ Bland Street, just out of routine I guess.

I love my B-Cycle membership and their customer service; just need a dock at New Bern, Dilworth & Plaza Midwood now.

^ FWIW I have a small bit of information on station use for the first 1/3 of this year's operations (data are rounded):

Station             Checkouts

EDIT: PM me if you want the data

At the risk of editorializing, the data makes it look like some stations could be relocated to improve system ridership (e.g. move the JCSU station to the Greenway through Wesley Heights).I have always suspected the pricing issue, if they gave the first hour free (like most cities) then people could feasibly take a bike to lunch in places where there was no station.

If the cross-county trail does get funded I can really envision ridership exploding (doubly so if a good route to Plaza-Midwood is developed).

Edited by kermit

I'd happily contribute to the numbers, but I don't want to pay for a bike and then turn it in 30 minutes later. I'll probably just purchase a bike. Perhaps there are many others like me.

Just go from station to station using bikes for only 30 min.

I'd happily contribute to the numbers, but I don't want to pay for a bike and then turn it in 30 minutes later. I'll probably just purchase a bike. Perhaps there are many others like me.

It is a great system (and totally worth the annual fee) _if_ the stations are located within your normal activity space. Its not so great if you never find yourself in those places.

I think there will be a huge ridership opportunity for Bearden Park -- Wesley Heights Greenway -- Pinkys area. I hope they are able to accommodate that.

• 1 month later...

For the love of...

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/driver-concerned-over-bicyclists-sharing-roads/nYQrF/

I'm going to take some videos of drivers speeding on Providence, then start "Bancarsonprovidence.com".  Same idea right?

He does film a rider going through a red light & driving through the middle of traffic, both of which are illegal. You also have a death wish to try and ride your bike on a major road during rush hour. Hell, driving a car is enough of a challenge.

There does need to be an alternative for bike riders though, more bike lanes.

CCCP says that a b-cycle expansion will be announced later this summer. No details. http://www.charlottecentercity.org/charlottes-bike-sharing-program-to-expand-later-this-summer/

The one new location I know for sure (from an inside source) will be at New Bern Station, which I have been personally lobbying for so I can B-cycle down to Triple C and back.

• Like 1