Charlotte trying to be more bike friendly

I see the bikes on the new bike racks on Commonwealth all the time.  The closest station to there is about a mile away on Elizabeth and Travis.  The City owns the parking lot at Central and Thomas.  Hopefully, Plaza will finally be in the expansion plans.

If seeing the bike share system as an extension of the transit system, Plaza-Central still makes sense as a high-frequency bus corridor.  SImilarly, Wesley Heights has Sprinter, and NoDa will have the BLE, so they should get it, too.  I just hope Plaza doesn't have to wait on "Phase 3" of Streetcar before seeing its own bike-share station.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Observer article on the one year anniversary of bcycle is out. It says that the New Bern station opened "last week" (anyone seen it?)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/30/4201842/first-year-of-charlottes-bike.html

Other tidbits:

4 ("or more") additional stations are due "by this time next year"

Annual and one day memberships far exceeded expectations (but it seems like expectations were pretty low).

There was also some interesting cost information (memberships cover roughly 1/3 of operating costs)

Edited by kermit

not sure what it means but it appears that Colonial Southend 'sponsored' the new bcycle station at New Bern. I hope this is a model that they will leverage for capital costs elsewhere as well.

https://twitter.com/CRsouthend/status/362620153613135872

Bcycle has not yet updated their map to reflect the new station......

• 4 weeks later...

^ Yes, several times.  It's quite an urban experience.  The group usually makes an effort to stop by at least one pub for a quick refresher.  Pam Murray, who started the ride is also using it to underscore the value of the "Bike Benefits" discount program.   Stickers can be purchased at any number of local retailers & restaurants now for just $5.00.

http://www.bicyclebenefits.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=204&Itemid=54

..and check out Triple C .. the Bike Benefit Card will get you a free pint !!!

Edited by Bikeguy

^ The Trips for Kids Recyclery has purchased 8 of them.  Four have been placed on the Greenways ( Little Sugar Creek, 4 Mile, McMullen, and Mallard Creek.  Another will be installed at Torrence Creek when it's finished.  Installations are also planned at Urban Ministry and Goodwill Industries.  The last one will be in NODA.  

• 2 weeks later...

I found an interesting tidbit in a report on NC House Bill 817 with restructures the NCDOT funding formula.

Slide 13 discusses changes in aid to municipalities (aka the Powell Bill which sends a portion of the state gas tax to municipalities to pay for city road maintenance)

Authorizes use of Powell Bill funds for greenways and bikeways

http://www.ncleg.net/documentsites/committees/JLTOC/2013-15_Biennium/09.10.13_Meeting/2_LegislationOverview.pdf

While I am no expert in this area I suspect this represents a significant positive change in the (indirect) provision of state funds for bike infrastructure.

Please correct me but it feels like the NCGA might have actually done something right (even if it is just a small chunk of cash)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So apparently this guy  who runs on the smaller government ticket got into the city council race because he wanted MORE government regulations to ban bikes from using "major roads" like Providence during rush hour.   :shok:

No statement on providing bike lanes on Providence - he just wants them off...   Though now he claims he is no longer pursuing the issue.  Yeah, mmkay.

CCCP says that a b-cycle expansion will be announced later this summer. No details. http://www.charlottecentercity.org/charlottes-bike-sharing-program-to-expand-later-this-summer/

I eagerly await announcements on the other stations they suggested were coming in 'the summer' (I know that they added New Bern back in August, but they said at least two others were on the way....)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

New bicycle maintenance stand in NODA in front of the Smelly Cat.  This stand as well as seven others were provide by the Trips for Kids Recyclery.

I used the bike stand over off the Sugar Creek Greenway this past weekend, they are really great.  They have pretty much every tool you need for a quick fix.

I used the bike stand over off the Sugar Creek Greenway this past weekend, they are really great.  They have pretty much every tool you need for a quick fix.

Most excellent !!!   We were going to put the last one on the new section of the Torrence Creek Greenway, but that project is nowhere near completion so we've worked out a deal with ark & Rec to put it on 4-mile Greenway across from Trader Joe's.  On any given day, and particularly on the weekend days, there are hundreds who are walking or biking along its length.  If things go well, we should have another set going in later this year.  We'll be looking for some suggestions as to where they might be best located..

• Like 1

I rode my bike last night in an attempt to get from my home in Montclaire down to the McAlpine Creek Greenway.  Boy was it difficult.  Beyond the obvious traffic issues, there really are a limited number of streets that can actually get you south that aren't just flat out death traps for cyclists, especially during rush hour.  We've made some great strides compared to a couple years ago, but boy do we have a lonngggggggg way to go.  I'm pretty adventurous and i'll admit it was mildly terrifying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So back in July Bcycle announced  they would be adding four more stations (after New Bern) to the network within the year:

the 21st station opened near the New Bern light rail station in South End. By this time [July 30] next year, Ward said, the program hopes to operate 25 or more bike stations.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/30/4201842/first-year-of-charlottes-bike.html#.UyHVEYW00tE

We are now more than halfway through that period, anyone heard anything?

Seems like a Bearden Park station is a total no brainier, but I would have hoped they would open it _before_ Knights opening day. Seems like a wasted opportunity to miss that. Where else would you put a station?

Edited by kermit