Anti-Signature Towers Sentiment

vinemp

I'd like to open the proverbial can of worms by saying that Signature Towers would not complement our city's skyline. I would like to see more mid-rises and high-rises erected to heal the blight of parking lots Downtown and expand Nashville's core; however, I feel the proposed scale of the building is excessive for Nashville.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the Signature or other "wow" factor tower (s) go up, but as I've said before, my main wish for downtown is fill the streets with new businesses and people. If you've ever been to NYC, think about the areas around First, Second and Third. Very few highrises along these streets, but the epitome of urban living exists with mixed use buildings that were built before the term "mixed use" became the watchword for new downtown and urban construction.

I want to see people on the streets, I want to walk by buildings and look in the windows. I want trees, and coffee shops, young people, old people, people with dogs, people stopping at newsstands, shopping for groceries, riding bikes. If they have to do that in the shadows of office and hotel towers, fine I guess. I just don't think the towers are a necessity to give a community a sense of identity. But if there's a few hundred million to be spent, I'd rather see the buildings on the scale that vine mentioned. Once again, I'm all for a signature building, but I would be distressed if our city became one of those who becomes defined by a single large tower. Charlotte did that for a long time. Luckily, the city at street level is catching up to the stamp BOA put on their skyline and people are on the streets again.

Although I'm thrilled about the Viridian, I don't think we need many of those in our city.

Let's be Nashville, not anyone else. It's us I see on the Today show this morning, it was us I saw on Good Morning America, it's often us who's getting the national press and attention. That has been happening for a long time, and won't stop any time soon. We are a special place, and very little of that which makes us so takes place in some lofty office tower.

But one good tall one wouldn't hurt. Bring it on, but let's keep the street perspective in focus too. I think we're doing fine.

I would like to see the Signature or other "wow" factor tower (s) go up, but as I've said before, my main wish for downtown is fill the streets with new businesses and people. If you've ever been to NYC, think about the areas around First, Second and Third. Very few highrises along these streets, but the epitome of urban living exists with mixed use buildings that were built before the term "mixed use" became the watchword for new downtown and urban construction.

I want to see people on the streets, I want to walk by buildings and look in the windows. I want trees, and coffee shops, young people, old people, people with dogs, people stopping at newsstands, shopping for groceries, riding bikes. If they have to do that in the shadows of office and hotel towers, fine I guess. I just don't think the towers are a necessity to give a community a sense of identity. But if there's a few hundred million to be spent, I'd rather see the buildings on the scale that vine mentioned. Once again, I'm all for a signature building, but I would be distressed if our city became one of those who becomes defined by a single large tower. Charlotte did that for a long time. Luckily, the city at street level is catching up to the stamp BOA put on their skyline and people are on the streets again.

Although I'm thrilled about the Viridian, I don't think we need many of those in our city.

Let's be Nashville, not anyone else. It's us I see on the Today show this morning, it was us I saw on Good Morning America, it's often us who's getting the national press and attention. That has been happening for a long time, and won't stop any time soon. We are a special place, and very little of that which makes us so takes place in some lofty office tower.

But one good tall one wouldn't hurt. Bring it on, but let's keep the street perspective in focus too. I think we're doing fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ugh, leave it to nashvillians to disagree with change. Im a nashvillian, and i want change. I just wish the bible belt, no change is good change, leave everything small, we never want to get anywhere attitude to go away. people, change is inevitable, get over it and get used to it!!! I hope the signature tower goes, it would make a great addition to the nashville skyline and push this city into a new era, hopefully.

ugh, leave it to nashvillians to disagree with change. Im a nashvillian, and i want change. I just wish the bible belt, no change is good change, leave everything small, we never want to get anywhere attitude to go away. people, change is inevitable, get over it and get used to it!!! I hope the signature tower goes, it would make a great addition to the nashville skyline and push this city into a new era, hopefully.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what's wrong with being nashville? there is good change and bad change. we need to make sure that we still keep our identity. sure, i hope the signature goes up, but i'd also like to see downtown become a more livable place, even if that means we don't have the tallest buildings.

tour, if you're placing me among those who are resistant to change based on my post you quoted prior to your remarks, I think you totally misunderstood my point.

I didn't say "don't build the Sig, did I"? I repeat, sure, bring it on. But I think my visualization of downtown Nashville is more extensive and open to change than you give me credit for. So, when you complain about a static environment, Bible-belt mentality, smallness and change resistant...leave me out of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Bible Belt is full of the big, towering skyscraper mindset, and most of the Bible Belt is resistant to changing that mindset--or has been until recently.

The Signature Tower itself won't push Nashville into a new era, in fact, it's the status quo--more skyscrapers.

What the Bible Belt lacks is precisely those factors of street level activity Dave talks about.

Well from my sources, and if I told you who they were I may get in trouble, Signature is a definite yes for 2006 start date. The source is not who you think it is, but 2006 is the break ground date and that is only because that is what the city wants. Meaning the powers that be in the MDHA and others. Everything is in place to start sooner than that, but the city wants these projects such as the Viridian, Church Street, The Exchange Lofts, The Schemerhorn, finished first beacuse of the traffic and pedestrian traffic concerns.

It will be at least 55 stories, notice I said at least. By 2009, the Bellsouth will be just another buiding downtown! :w00t:

I'm excited to hear that the tower is a go. I'm pretty young, young enough I don't have any clear memories of the bellsouth tower going up. So it will be fun to monitor the progress as the biggest addition ever is added to our skyline.

I'm excited to hear that the tower is a go.  I'm pretty young, young enough I don't have any clear memories of the bellsouth tower going up.  So it will be fun to monitor the progress as the biggest addition ever is added to our skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

welcome to the forums!!!! it's awesome watching those towers go up. i remember when the bellsouth went up. still wish it could have been prettier, but still cool to see. :D

Well from my sources, and if I told you who they were I may get in trouble, Signature is a definite yes for 2006 start date. The source is not who you think it is, but 2006 is the break ground date and that is only because that is what the city wants. Meaning the powers that be in the MDHA and others. Everything is in place to start sooner than that, but the city wants these projects such as the Viridian, Church Street, The Exchange Lofts, The Schemerhorn, finished first beacuse of the traffic and pedestrian traffic concerns.

It will be at least 55 stories, notice I said at least. By 2009, the Bellsouth will be just another buiding downtown! :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious? That is so exciting I can barely contain myself. I love skyscrapers and am very proud of the skyline we have now, but knowing Signature is definite is very reassuring. Notice I'm putting a lot of stock in your words, so if you were kidding let me know. Wow. The skyline and basically all of downtown is going to be a sight to behold in 2010.

That's good the hear d-man. It'll be so good to see that parking lot gone and filling up another gap in Church Street. I'm really excited about the new Church Street configuration; the two-way traffic will give the street so much more activity.

Satalac's right, it is fun to watch the towers grow. I remember most of them from the 70s on, but once you start seeing them rise above the others from the interstate, you know something big is happening.

I'm gonna miss the Downtown Living tour this weekend. My nephew is getting his doctoral degree in Chattanooga on Sunday (brag, brag :) ) so I'll be there. Hopefully, there will be another one next year.

d-man, you constantly amaze me with your insider knowledge. Seems I'm gonna get my street level activity afterall...

I'm with Claws, don't be messin' with us now. You're building us way up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 500% with tournashville change is good and its what nashville needs.

Well, honestly, I hope the design changes a bit. I'm not as concerned about the height as much as the look of the building. I don't find it all that impressive (other than just shear size). I would like to see a skyscraper incorporate some of the city's Greek Revival style architecture in it's plans...something that could complement the city. I don't know...I just find it...mundane.

But anyways, I would rather have it built than have nothing done...so like dave says, bring it on!

I like the design of the Signature tower. When looking at most big Citys none of the buildings really compliment each other if you think about it. What in the world does the Bellsouth building compliment? Either way I agree that the height is the most appealing feature of the building.

First post here: I have been reading for several days and decided to join and post. Glad to see there is a place on the web where I can actually find people discussing Nashville development. I live in the Gulch and am eagerly awaiting the slow moving developments there.

Dave, I think your comments are right on. The Signature Tower would be a big attention grabber and I would be very excited to see it happen, but getting people d-town is what is really important. That, followed by the infastructure to support people downtown 24 hrs (hopefully including transit). That is how we can become a great city.

As for the Sig. Tower, no offense doormanpoet, but I will believe it when I see the construction crane--fingers crossed. Until then, nothing is guaranteed (see Sounds stadium).

Tony Giratanna has come through on two buildings so far. He has the connections with Novare group in Atlanta, but I want to remain optomistic. If it is any comfort, he WILL build something there regardless. It could be 20 stories or 70, who knows but he said in the meeting it could be scaled down a bit, or up a bit depending on interest, but he has no intention of keeping any surface parking lots. B)

Those links don't work. When the building gets built it will look nothing like the currents plans. Tony is going to build the building to meet demand so it'll have to be redesigned when it gets built.

Edit: nevermind you took the links out and completely changed what you said.

Archived