Anti-Signature Towers Sentiment

vinemp

Tony Giratanna has come through on two buildings so far. He has the connections with Novare group in Atlanta, but I want to remain optomistic. If it is any comfort, he WILL build something there regardless. It could be 20 stories or 70, who knows but he said in the meeting it could be scaled down a bit, or up a bit depending on interest, but he has no intention of keeping any surface parking lots. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt you're right. Something will get built.

These developers are interesting characters though. They can just announce any huge project, and then just sit back and let the buzz determine what actually happens.

---I semi-lived in Houston during the early 80's when the buzz was enormous, and it was like watching Manhattan being built in a 3 year time frame. It was musical chairs with the developers, and the last ones left standing went kaput.

I haven't looked at the renderings of Signature Tower in awhile, and really don't recall it too readily. I am no fan of modern architecture in Tennessee--it all looks done on the cheap to me--and hope at least that whatever goes up will be distinguished.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any pictures of this building... I want to see it. Are there any Memphis skyline pics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'll post the Memphis skyline pics--shame on me for hijacking the thread. :(

Most were posted a month or so ago. The same old same old. I haven't been to Memphis in well over a year. If anyone out there in cyberworld actually lives in the Bluff City, it would be nice to trot out your camera.

The first 16 of the following were taken by poster MCC at skyscrapercity:

34355437.jpg

34355333.jpg

34355355.jpg

34355383.jpg

34355335.jpg

34355329.jpg

34355163.jpg

34355452.jpg

34355480.jpg

34355490.jpg

34355508.jpg

The following are from various sites:

original.jpg

34355646.jpg

37592406.jpg

31451011.jpg

31451103.jpg

large.jpg

The following is copyright paul rybourn at memphiswallpaper.com:

31220929.jpg

East Memphis "skyline" and parking lots. lol:

original.jpg

34355166.jpg

34355205.jpg

34355252.jpg

east memphis clark tower/whitestation tower:

34355267.jpg

34355427.jpg

You know, for all the complaining people do about Memphis's skyline, it's actually not that bad. I think it's pretty much in the same league as Nashville's (Nashville's is just a little better). Combine it with the excellent streetscape, and overall it's a little bit better than Nashville's. (I still like Nashville better, though.)

Man, that Autozone Park is something! That's about as good as MLB! I can't wait until we get a similar one here for the Sounds.

The James Robertson Apartments has raised its rent to $40 a month instead of $20 a month. The new age requirement is 62 instead of 55, however those already there will be grandfathered in.

THEY NEED TO TURN THIS INTO LOFTS!

I would love to pay $40 a month for a downtown apartment! How about you guys? :angry:

• 2 months later...

A pox on Memphis and Nashville. lol

piano roll! drums! cymbals! brass! clarinet!

"won't you come along with me

to the mississippi

we'll take the boat to the land of dreams

steam down the river down to New Orleans

the band's there to meet us

old friends there to greet us

where all the proud and elite folks be

heaven knows they call it basin street"

I have always thought downtown Memphis feels larger and more urban than Nashville, and from a distance facing either from the east or west I think its looks substantially larger and denser than Nashville, which from a distance only looks really dense from the north IMO.

You doin' okay out there, RK?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah all is well and everything is going fine. (knock on wood) Grad school awaits here come August, I'm ready!!! I always liked college though.

WE miss RK here in Nashville. Come Back RK!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss you guys too. No more getting up at 930 to meet Dave for wanderings about the city, and no more just walking out my front door and down 4 blocks to a forum meet. LOL I will have to drive to the next meet like everyone else.

We had a great meet this May despite the rain. Looking forward to one this fall.

Archived