EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal opinion of the best spot in Uptown for any luxury retailer is the site between EpiCentre and Holiday Inn/Trade Center.....it's a surface lot that was once slated to be the next BofA tower......it was also the site that the Ritz was interested in.

I think in about 3-5 years, assuming that the economy keeps improving and employment downtown grows, and we have a population of at least 20k downtown, and Ghazi is able to pull of a luxury hotel, and another luxury hotel such as the Ritz of 4Seasons were to commit to the tower, that we could possibly see a Saks go there......though their urban stores tend to underperform......

I think the only way Saks would go to the SouthPark area anywhere is if Dicks closes up shop.....I'd give them a small chance of going to Elizabeth Ave. I personally think as I've said before that they might chance it and go to NorthLake, especially is Taubman gives them a sweetheart deal.

yeah the local news here pounded home the fact that it was the first in NC, big freaking deal.

its just a feather in the hat for cities, nothing more. come on, charleston has one, look how small that city is...albeit a touristy one.

I don't understand why retailers like the Gap have not made their way into uptown Charlotte. With all the workers in the uptown area throughout the week, it seems like some of the national clothing retailers would have moved in. With all the new residential buildings announced, it makes sense that these people would need a place to shop as well and not drive to a mall.

I don't understand why retailers like the Gap have not made their way into uptown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Express had an Uptown store not too long ago in Founders Hall. It's gone now, so you have to wonder what warrented the closing. However that was a couple years ago and Uptown is much stronger now in all areas so... I could easily see GAP or other similar retailers being very successful there now.

I think adding more boutique shopping downtown is the last thing we need to be focused on. DT needs more convenience stores, another grocery, hardware, appliance, cheaper places to eat that are open outside of business hours, and other places for day to day living.

As long as the focus is on getting more mall stores to come to downtown, then nothing will happen as these stores want to be in malls where their brethern are located. Mall botiuques get people to pay outrageous prices for meadocre chinese made stuff because it is the "experience". I'm not sure they are convinced the same will happen on the sidewalks of downtown charlotte.

Looks as if The Ghazi Company will be building this project in Huntersville.  This is really the type of development that should be going in Downtown because of the type of retail/restaurants it offers.

There is an article  in this weekend's Observer.

It should be noted this is only 5 miles from the new mall going up at exit 18.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where downtown? at the occ site?

Where's the old sears bldg?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is part of the Hal Marshall Site.

It is on N. Tryon Street between [10th] and 11th.

(12th on the north side of brookshire... 11th and 12th act almost like service roads for the freeway)

I think the hal marshall site can attract much more density than this, but ANYTHING is better than the vacant sears. and the other rundown buildings there.

I don't think that downtown needs more service retail like the kind that will be going into Mercado in Huntersville...rather we need the service retail we already have to stay open past 6pm. That is changing as more and more people move downtown.

• 1 month later...

Supposedly a movie theatre (forget the brand), and a Prime Steakhouse (based in Atlanta)

They're sending out a marketing package (and a horrible one at that) to anybody and everybody, but they haven't announced any other tenants yet.

I'm not sure that Gap or Old Navy are the type of tenants that would go there. It will probably be food heavy, with some possible smaller chain-style slothing stores. (think Lids, or Foot Locker, or Niketown)

Supposedly a movie theatre (forget the brand), and a Prime Steakhouse (based in Atlanta)

They're sending out a marketing package (and a horrible one at that) to anybody and everybody, but they haven't announced any other tenants yet.

it's consolidated theatres. and i for one see it as a positive that they're not spending much on marketing - it's because they don't need to. the site/project sells itself. who needs flashy, expensive marketing when you're sitting on arguably the best piece of real estate in the southeast?

I just can't wait for the damn building to come down.

not to hijack the thread though... i would still love to see a bookstore down there. atlrvr, you have any info on this? seems like a no-brainer to me.

Archived