• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
DigitalSky

EpiCentre Retail

Do you think it's a possibility that Saks Fifth Avenue could end up at the EpiCentre? It could be the beginning of a good revival for downtown retail. I don't know what kind of retail the EpiCentre really has planned though.

Saks, I think, is wating to see what effect Neiman Marcus is going to have on the market. That may take up to five years. Even then, Uptown may be a hard sell. Most of the complimentary merchants are in SouthPark already.

My personal opinion of the best spot in Uptown for any luxury retailer is the site between EpiCentre and Holiday Inn/Trade Center.....it's a surface lot that was once slated to be the next BofA tower......it was also the site that the Ritz was interested in.

I think in about 3-5 years, assuming that the economy keeps improving and employment downtown grows, and we have a population of at least 20k downtown, and Ghazi is able to pull of a luxury hotel, and another luxury hotel such as the Ritz of 4Seasons were to commit to the tower, that we could possibly see a Saks go there......though their urban stores tend to underperform......

I think the only way Saks would go to the SouthPark area anywhere is if Dicks closes up shop.....I'd give them a small chance of going to Elizabeth Ave. I personally think as I've said before that they might chance it and go to NorthLake, especially is Taubman gives them a sweetheart deal.

yeah the local news here pounded home the fact that it was the first in NC, big freaking deal.

its just a feather in the hat for cities, nothing more. come on, charleston has one, look how small that city is...albeit a touristy one.

Would a Saks fit in with Epicenter? It seems more entertainment oriented, with a theater, bowling alley, bars, fox sports grill. I guess it would depend on what other retailers go in to compliment it.

I don't understand why retailers like the Gap have not made their way into uptown Charlotte. With all the workers in the uptown area throughout the week, it seems like some of the national clothing retailers would have moved in. With all the new residential buildings announced, it makes sense that these people would need a place to shop as well and not drive to a mall.

There have been a lot of residential announcements, but retail wont follow until people actually start moving into these new announcements. retail will then follow.

If Dick's does fold, do you think Saks would build a new building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think they would. It may not be entirely new, mind you, but they would have to gut the interior and plus the exterior wouldn't really be compatible with Saks' image.

I don't understand why retailers like the Gap have not made their way into uptown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Express had an Uptown store not too long ago in Founders Hall. It's gone now, so you have to wonder what warrented the closing. However that was a couple years ago and Uptown is much stronger now in all areas so... I could easily see GAP or other similar retailers being very successful there now.

I think adding more boutique shopping downtown is the last thing we need to be focused on. DT needs more convenience stores, another grocery, hardware, appliance, cheaper places to eat that are open outside of business hours, and other places for day to day living.

As long as the focus is on getting more mall stores to come to downtown, then nothing will happen as these stores want to be in malls where their brethern are located. Mall botiuques get people to pay outrageous prices for meadocre chinese made stuff because it is the "experience". I'm not sure they are convinced the same will happen on the sidewalks of downtown charlotte.

Looks as if The Ghazi Company will be building this project in Huntersville. This is really the type of development that should be going in Downtown because of the type of retail/restaurants it offers.

There is an article in this weekend's Observer.

It should be noted this is only 5 miles from the new mall going up at exit 18.

Looks as if The Ghazi Company will be building this project in Huntersville.  This is really the type of development that should be going in Downtown because of the type of retail/restaurants it offers.

There is an article  in this weekend's Observer.

It should be noted this is only 5 miles from the new mall going up at exit 18.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where downtown? at the occ site?

where downtown?  at the occ site?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I think they should tear down the old Sears Building and replace it with something like this.

Nah.....Huntersville can keep it's fake stucco 1 story retail centers with surface parking.

You know, I think they should tear down the old Sears Building and replace it with something like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where's the old sears bldg?

It is the big brick building on North Tryon on the right side as you head North just before you reach 11th street. (or is it 12th) It closed in 1979.

Where's the old sears bldg?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is part of the Hal Marshall Site.

It is on N. Tryon Street between [10th] and 11th.

(12th on the north side of brookshire... 11th and 12th act almost like service roads for the freeway)

I think the hal marshall site can attract much more density than this, but ANYTHING is better than the vacant sears. and the other rundown buildings there.

Edited by dubone

I don't think that downtown needs more service retail like the kind that will be going into Mercado in Huntersville...rather we need the service retail we already have to stay open past 6pm. That is changing as more and more people move downtown.

Hi guys, I've been keeping up with the EpiCentre project but I haven't heard much about what types of retail stores are going to be there other than Fox Sports and bowling. Does anyone know any of the retail stores that are considering opening here? Any chance of a Gap or Old Navy? Thanks :)

Supposedly a movie theatre (forget the brand), and a Prime Steakhouse (based in Atlanta)

They're sending out a marketing package (and a horrible one at that) to anybody and everybody, but they haven't announced any other tenants yet.

I'm not sure that Gap or Old Navy are the type of tenants that would go there. It will probably be food heavy, with some possible smaller chain-style slothing stores. (think Lids, or Foot Locker, or Niketown)

Supposedly a movie theatre (forget the brand), and a Prime Steakhouse (based in Atlanta)

They're sending out a marketing package (and a horrible one at that) to anybody and everybody, but they haven't announced any other tenants yet.

it's consolidated theatres. and i for one see it as a positive that they're not spending much on marketing - it's because they don't need to. the site/project sells itself. who needs flashy, expensive marketing when you're sitting on arguably the best piece of real estate in the southeast?

I just can't wait for the damn building to come down.

not to hijack the thread though... i would still love to see a bookstore down there. atlrvr, you have any info on this? seems like a no-brainer to me.

Edited by keer5771