EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

I agree that the movie theater is needed. Just like critical mass of retail size is a key in mall success, critical mass of entertainment options probably would help entertainment districts like uptown succeed. I used to live in uptown Charlotte and would have to drive to Northlake Mall to go to that movie theater; I'd assume that 99.99% of people on dates and out with friends who live in central Charlotte would prefer to go uptown for a movie (and a drink, or dinner) than go to Northlake because there's not a lot of complimentary stuff there for a night out.

My only concern about the theater is that (1) during the day it wouldn't do well, (2) it'd be too big and (3) the "element" would take over.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EpiCentre website has been updated. (Hopefully this is the right topic for this) but they have some site plans with all of the tenants labeled and their respective locations. There's also photos and some more of the website filled out, although it's not all completed.

EpiCentre Website

http://epicentre-charlotte.com/sitemap.php

The EpiCentre website has been updated. (Hopefully this is the right topic for this) but they have some site plans with all of the tenants labeled and their respective locations. There's also photos and some more of the website filled out, although it's not all completed.

EpiCentre Website

http://epicentre-charlotte.com/sitemap.php

It appears the site map has been taken down.

Does anyone "in the know" have anything more specific than 'before October 31' regarding PJ's anticipated opening date? I'm looking forward to this one.

This doesn't answer your question, but it was originally slated to be open in April 2007, lol. I'll try to get a realistic date for you that is more recent. On another somewhat unrelated note, I noticed PJs Coffee is no longer owned by Raving Brands, which makes it a step higher in my opinion!

"O" is reporting IPic will run the theater. What happened to Muvico? At one point we were listed on their website as coming soon

More information about this:

The movie theater, which indeed is owned by IPic now, will be 5 theaters and will be opening November 14th!!! This is in time for the new James Bond movie that they will be premiering. After 7, alcoholic beverages will be allowed to be brought in. Also, there will be an attached restaurant, named Mez, which you will be able to bring food into the movie from Mez (And that restaurant only, unless if you make a Target run and bring a large bag that is). I'd be curious if they have access from the outdoor complex so you don't have to go through the theater if you just want to eat.

More information about this:

The movie theater, which indeed is owned by IPic now, will be 5 theaters and will be opening November 14th!!! This is in time for the new James Bond movie that they will be premiering. After 7, alcoholic beverages will be allowed to be brought in. Also, there will be an attached restaurant, named Mez, which you will be able to bring food into the movie from Mez (And that restaurant only, unless if you make a Target run and bring a large bag that is). I'd be curious if they have access from the outdoor complex so you don't have to go through the theater if you just want to eat.

I posted this info on the previous page, but thank you for reiterating

as far as the restaurant being accessible from the rest of the complex, I believe it will be, if not they would be seriously missing out.

Has anyone noticed if the bars in the epicentre and elsewhere in Uptown have slowed down considerably over the last couple weeks? I wonder what percentage of their customers are Wachovia employees who have little to celebrate? I suppose it might be difficult to tell if it is all from the financial crisis with gas being a factor as well.

Has anyone noticed if the bars in the epicentre and elsewhere in Uptown have slowed down considerably over the last couple weeks? I wonder what percentage of their customers are Wachovia employees who have little to celebrate? I suppose it might be difficult to tell if it is all from the financial crisis with gas being a factor as well.

I have not noticed that. I was at Black Finn Thurs nite and it was packed as usual. If anything, I would think the Wachovia employees would be prone to drinking now more than ever :P

I did notice, however, that the highways seemed a light lighter on traffic Thursday and Friday.

Has anyone walked around Epicenter in the daylight? It is horrible beyond words. Cracked cement, bad finish work, cheap lighting (so cheap that you can reach up to the uplight fixtures on the Overstreet Mall crosswalk and unscrew them (don't ask). I plan to take pictures and post them this week. We've been given a load of crap right in the (epi) center of the city.

Has anyone walked around Epicenter in the daylight? It is horrible beyond words. Cracked cement, bad finish work, cheap lighting (so cheap that you can reach up to the uplight fixtures on the Overstreet Mall crosswalk and unscrew them (don't ask). I plan to take pictures and post them this week. We've been given a load of crap right in the (epi) center of the city.

Yes. I think this is one of the most disappointing projects in a long time. :(

Perhaps if they'd have known that the tower portion was not going to get built then they could have spent more money on making the retail portion more bearable.

It's an interesting metaphor to a lot of what has happened and what is going on in Charlotte right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason's Deli is open and PACKED for lunch. It might also help that the walkway is open now too, so for people coming over from the Overstreet walkways, this is a lunch destination.

Great news the Escapists! I'm glad to hear we have another opening. In other news, Flemings, charlotte's latest upscale steak house opened last week, has anyone had a chance to go and check it out yet?

Great news the Escapists! I'm glad to hear we have another opening. In other news, Flemings, charlotte's latest upscale steak house opened last week, has anyone had a chance to go and check it out yet?

Didn't get to see much more than from outside on Sat night. A lot of people from what I could tell and fancy cars getting their VIP treatment.

I hope Revolution, which is the new music store from the owners of the now closed Rock&Roll Emporium opens soon. It will help to diversify the retail there.

the name change makes it sound more like a hot topic or something. i never went to the emporium in charlotte...was it just an apparel store or will this place sell music too? i seem to remember Rock&Roll Outlet in Raleigh being half head-shop several years ago, and i don't really see that happening in uptown anytime soon ;)

the name change makes it sound more like a hot topic or something. i never went to the emporium in charlotte...was it just an apparel store or will this place sell music too? i seem to remember Rock&Roll Outlet in Raleigh being half head-shop several years ago, and i don't really see that happening in uptown anytime soon ;)

NOt sure if they'll have the same mix at EpiCentre, but at their old location they sold clothing, shoes and boots, skateboards, piercings, stickers

^That was downtown of the 1970s when you could find head shops, record stores like Shazada Records, clothes stores like TJ's High Style, Woolworths, Sears, etc. I don't think any of those places could exist downtown now.

A few of those survived into the 80's, I remember shopping at them as well as the Army Supply store on Trade.

The funky clothing and shoe stores in Latta Arcade seem to be doing well.

Archived