EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

Cheers, SR!

I guess I still don't understand the draw of NikeTown. I can get any of that crap at any sporting goods store. Why go uptown for a cool max running shirt when I can get the same one at Omega or Charlotte Running Co? Just to "be like Mike"? Then again, I don't get the Hard Rock Cafe phenom, either. I can get a much better burger, see more intersting people, and listen to better music at the Penguin.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, SR!

I guess I still don't understand the draw of NikeTown.  I can get any of that crap at any sporting goods store.  Why go uptown for a cool max running shirt when I can get the same one at Omega or Charlotte Running Co?  Just to "be like Mike"?  Then again, I don't get the Hard Rock Cafe phenom, either.  I can get a much better burger, see more intersting people, and listen to better music at the Penguin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that I would probably not shop at Niketown,or eat at the Hard Rock Cafe, however I think places like this are inevitable. They also catapult other retail and tourist love them. Also the though of having somewhat of a concept/flagship store would be nice for uptown Charlotte in my opinion. We may or may not get a Niketown or Hard Rock but we will get similar retail in the center city eventually.

I guess I still don't understand the draw of NikeTown.  I can get any of that crap at any sporting goods store.  Why go uptown for a cool max running shirt when I can get the same one at Omega or Charlotte Running Co?  Just to "be like Mike"?  Then again, I don't get the Hard Rock Cafe phenom, either.  I can get a much better burger, see more intersting people, and listen to better music at the Penguin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of it comes down to marketing with NikeTown. People have been fed the advertising and folklore for so long that the 3-D representation of it is irresistable.

Take the Nike outlet in Concord for example. That place is always packed with people, even though they sell all the old same clearance merchandise you can get at more local retailers for the same price (and sometimes less).

I will say this in defense of the company, though. The NikeTown stores I've visited over the years are like walking into one of their commercials. It's all about action and play and fun. Everything they use to sell is over the top and dramatic and it's really cool to go in and "be like Mike." Or Derek Jeter, or Kobe, or Vince Carter or Andre Aggasi.

Hard Rock, I will never get. It's like Applebee's with famous people's stuff instead of thrift store stuff on the walls.

• 1 month later...

I think I would prefer a Tower Records to a Virgin.....but I guess Virgin does have more mass appeal......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virgin Stores are so awesome! I can go there when i'm in NYC and buy books, DVD's, and clothes at times. It is a little bit pricey but it's the thrill of going there!

Virgin Stores are so awesome! I can go there when i'm in NYC and buy books, DVD's, and clothes at times. It is a little bit pricey but it's the thrill of going there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virgin stores are great! I'm gonna try to go by Virgin when I'm in New York next weekend.

What are we talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean? :blink: If you don't know what Virgin stores are then here's a slight definition....Virgin Mecca Store: A big 50,000 sgf store that sells top name CD's, Books, DVDs, trendy clothes, and the usual Virgin Mobile phones.

it's just Virgin's website is so confusing that I can't find anymore locations of their megastore. I REALLY hope they open one up in EpiCentre! That would truly make Charlotte more alive at night, with all the modern signs and logos all over the place. think of it as a mini Times Square. Maybe that's where us UrbanPlaneters can celebrate New Years! :lol:

Agreed.  Charlotte has had a really hard time keeping a vegetarian restaurant open.  Kelly's, a great place with decent vegetarian food located in NoDa, was one of the very few to have existed in the City.  And sadly it is gone now to be replace by more generic development.  Amazing there isn't more demand here as other cities smaller than Charlotte usually have several. 

The only place I know of now that is exclusively vegetarian is the Peaceful Dragon but it is way out on Steel Creek Rd. almost in SC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that there are a couple of Indian restaurants that are also vegetarian as well.

Today's CBJ said that Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is close to signing a lease for EpiCentre......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that too. I think that would be a profitable location for such a steakhouse. I still will go to Capital Grill or Sullivan's for my steaks. IMO they have better steaks than Ruth's Chris.

A2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like no Virgin Megastore in uptown....

There is nothing in our immediate plans about opening in Charlotte but you never know. We have scouts looking for space all over the country and right now the only store slated to open is our new store in Los Angeles on Hollywood Blvd.

I am sure if plans change you will hear about it!

Thank you for your interest in Virgin.

KCM

Kathryn Chambers Mollica

Senior Marketing Manager, Partnerships & Promotions

Virgin Entertainment Group

Tel. #212-921-1020 x 226

if they don't have a lease signed, they would never give away information like that to some nobody who emails them.

i wouldn't necessarily take that as gospel. you need to get info from someone who's actually willing to divulge the truth one way or the other.

Looks like no Virgin Megastore in uptown....

There is nothing in our immediate plans about opening in Charlotte but you never know.  We have scouts looking for space all over the country and right now the only store slated to open is our new store in Los Angeles on Hollywood Blvd.

I am sure if plans change you will hear about it!

Thank you for your interest in Virgin.

KCM

Kathryn Chambers Mollica

Senior Marketing Manager, Partnerships & Promotions

Virgin Entertainment Group

Tel. #212-921-1020 x 226

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived