EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

With speculation and reports that a movie theatre is no longer part of Liz Ave, it would be a major disappointment if the Epicentre also no longer has a movie theatre.

It is a significant missing element in intown living. I don't care specifically where one goes, as long as it is within a few miles of downtown. But it is no good if we went from two proposed theatres to zero.

My wife and I have not gone to a movie in years, and a major factor is not wanting to drive to Carolina Pavilion or Phillips Place so late at night. But we would definitely go if we could walk and make a night out of it.

It is kind of funny considering consolidated is who convinced Ghazi to tear down the civic center, because the structure couldn't easily accommodate the theater. Even without movies, if the residential tower is built, this project will still be great for downtown.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philips Place, Crowne Point and NorthLake are not really that far away in actual time taken, especially at night. But they are far enough away that it isn't in the neighborhood. I think movies, like groceries, are a neighborhood thing.

If there isn't enough of a market downtown for a movie theatre, then that is okay, we'll continue to just [not] drive those 15 minutes away. But it is definitely on the wishlist for downtown retail, so it will be unfortunate if it doesn't pan out.

I kind of suspect that the riff-raff factor killed off the older movies theaters in the area, like at midtown square. I wonder if that is playing a role in keeping movie theaters out of downtown more recently (if that is what is actually happening).

I guess it's kinda like before Harris Teeter came to uptown, where did uptowners shop for groceries? I know that grocery stores are closer to uptown than movie theaters, but still the CBD needed something more than Reid's and drugstores.

I agree with dubone about the "riff-raff" factor (take a look at a map at WHERE the movie theaters are and how they keep drifting out into the suburbs... is there a multiplex within 3 miles of Eastland?) (don't cout Eastland Mall's cinema) I remember when Regency 4 and Delta 6 were there.

In some ways, having a downtown movie theatre has some of the economic benefits as a playhouse theater and many of the other visit generators that are being pursued for downtown.

People might plan an evening out and do dinner and a movie uptown. The addition to the customer base for nearby downtown restaurants helps to maintain the critical mass necessary to keep those restaurants and other storefronts in business. By remaining in business, nightlife is more consistent, and we successfully counteract the negative 'roll up the sidewalks' image that weighs down the city's reputation.

Probably because so many more DVDs are being rented at blockbuster and the prices at theatres are so expensive too!

Even Blockbuster is struggling a bit. I think digital cable and HD/big screen home theaters have a lot to do with it.

I have 50" hdtv home theatre, and that sure makes it hard to justify spending a small fortune to see a movie a few months early. It will be even more difficult to justify, as trends in the movie industry are towards simultaneous release to DVD and cinema.

I definitely go for big special effects movies, though, although I want my money back for a few of them that will remain unnamed.

• 3 weeks later...

:) Well, we spent the 40 bucks for four of us to see King Kong this weekend at Phillips Place.

I think you can count us out of the cinema movie-goer market for a while. We might do it more often if it were uptown, and we could make a night of it uptown, but driving out to the burbs late at night just for sake of a mediocre remake, just doesn't cut it for us anymore.

Also, from the perspective of how much the movie screen fills your line of vision, my big screen at home is bigger, and I don't have to look at some old man's bald spot acne for three hours.

i think Regal is 6.50 or 6.75... Arboretum is less. Phillips is definately the most expensive in town

EDIT: oh wait, i forgot to factor in student discount... err so it might be in the $8 range at the other theaters too

Yeah, I lost my student ID a few years ago, so no more discounts :).

From what I've read, the contracts that movie theaters sign give most of the revenue from the first few weeks to the producers/distributors. Films tend to pull in the bulk of their revenues in the first few weeks, so theaters have to get their revenue from alternate sources. A substantial portion (I think it's around half, but I'm not sure) of movie theater revenue comes from concessions for this reason.

From what I've read, the contracts that movie theaters sign give most of the revenue from the first few weeks to the producers/distributors. Films tend to pull in the bulk of their revenues in the first few weeks, so theaters have to get their revenue from alternate sources. A substantial portion (I think it's around half, but I'm not sure) of movie theater revenue comes from concessions for this reason.

this is absolutly true. i would say more than 1/2 of their revenue is from concessions. i used to work @ the manor when i was in high school and then later i worked @ the renovated carolina theatre in durham. BTW, the carolina theatre in durham is beautiful and has almost everything you would want in a theatre.... on of my favorite things about the movie house portion of the theatre (2 screens), was that they served beer. i always thought this to be brilliant, especially in an art house movie setting. imagine the revenue increase with the sell of beer @ charlotte movie theatres.

Archived