National Preservation Act

grurbanguy

This afternoon on Stateside, a program that's part of Michigan Public Radio, there will be discussion about the National Preservation Act...

Here's a blurb from their site:

Have you ever looked at one of those massive civic structures built of concrete and glass in 1960s and thought "What were they thinking?" In the name of progress many an old neighborhood was flattened. Then we enacted the National Preservation Act and people who lived in and loved those neighborhoods started to fight back. Putting the National Preservation Act into action.

Should be interesting... B)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And when the Gallium Group tried to build on the the city hall site, the Historic Preservation committee started barking about how the two boring cubes surrounded by a fieldstone moat were historically significant. I am all for truly historic preservation, or even preservation of the unique. The County and City building are unique only in the fact that they were ever allowed to be built. ;)

Joe

This afternoon on Stateside, a program that's part of Michigan Public Radio, there will be discussion about the National Preservation Act...

Here's a blurb from their site:

Have you ever looked at one of those massive civic structures built of concrete and glass in 1960s and thought "What were they thinking?" In the name of progress many an old neighborhood was flattened. Then we enacted the National Preservation Act and people who lived in and loved those neighborhoods started to fight back. Putting the National Preservation Act into action.

Should be interesting...

Actually, this edition of Stateside airs today, Friday, April 29, at 1 p.m. on Michigan Radio (104.1-FM in Grand Rapids or online at www.michiganradio.org).

They don't mention Grand Rapids at all in the ads for this week's show, but they must be talking about Heritage Hill. I wonder if they think West Michigan-specific programming alienates Detroit area listeners?

And when the Gallium Group tried to build on the the city hall site, the Historic Preservation committee started barking about how the two boring cubes surrounded by a fieldstone moat were historically significant. I am all for truly historic preservation, or even preservation of the unique. The County and City building are unique only in the fact that they were ever allowed to be built. ;)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So thats why they arent being blown to bits right now? Ahhhhh!!!

Actually, this edition of Stateside airs today, Friday, April 29, at 1 p.m. on Michigan Radio (104.1-FM in Grand Rapids or online at www.michiganradio.org). 

They don't mention Grand Rapids at all in the ads for this week's show, but they must be talking about Heritage Hill. I wonder if they think West Michigan-specific programming alienates Detroit area listeners?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they really dont talk about GR all that often on Michigan Radio, but I still prefer them to WGVU's NPR boradcast.

they really dont talk about GR all that often on Michigan Radio, but I still prefer them to WGVU's NPR boradcast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snoogit,

As an avid listener to Michigan Radio I disagree. Often I have been surprised at the number of stories they cover based in West Michigan, including stories about development and revitalization. Todd Mundt often talks about WM stories as does the Great Lakes Radio Consortium and I

Snoogit,

As an avid listener to Michigan Radio I disagree.  Often I have been surprised at the number of stories they cover based in West Michigan, including stories about development and revitalization.  Todd Mundt often talks about WM stories as does the Great Lakes Radio Consortium and I

So thats why they arent being blown to bits right now? Ahhhhh!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I guess you'll always find someone passionate about a (cough) "elegant set of buildings" :

Recent Past Preservation Network

Preservation Online

The incorrect photo shown on the second site is actually the old water treatment plant, which is in no danger at all. It's currently being renovated for mixed-use office/residential.

My favorite quote: "What is worrisome," Metz says, "is that no one seems to think that the buildings are architecturally special in any way."

Hmph, you got that right.

Anything mentioned about GR alienates Detroiters...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I listened to the program. I don't think it alienated anyone. It wasn't as much about Grand Rapids as it was about the significant historical preservation legislation. The group that rallied to save Heritage Hill just happened to be the first to take advantage of the newly created Section 106.

Archived