Pawtucket

Some Massachusetts folks- -particularly people who have been to PawSox games in years past--have a negative impression of Pawtucket. Have there been a lot of revitalization efforts in recent years? I drove around last Sunday and really liked what I saw. I enjoyed reading the Q & A with Herb W. in this forum and hearing about future plans, like a new commuter rail stop, etc., as well. Are there still parts of the city that are sketchy in terms of crime?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I really like Pawtucket. The area around Slater Park and Newport? Ave are newer, more suburban neighborhoods with small lot single family homes that are affordable and well kept (my friend from work lives right on Slater Park). Slater Park is really really nice, and it has a nice greenway, the Ten Mile River Greenway, running from Armistice Blvd through it into East Providence. Also, Division Street leading up to McCoy Stadium was recently redone with nice sidewalks, etc. as an enhancement project by RIDOT, and this area is much more urban but still well kept.

I don't know much about the western side of Pawtucket, I've only driven through it a few times to get to Central Falls (along Lonsdale Ave). All I can say is that it is mostly multi-family homes that aren't as well kept as other areas.

I know the area around the old train station is kinda run-down, as is alot of the streets just north of downtown towards Central Falls. FYI, two really good places to eat in the area: On Dexter STreet in Central Falls, Stanleys-really good old fashioned diner with greasy burgers and fatty fries and other delicious garbage, and (I think its called) the East Ave Cafe-an excellent irish restaurant with free soup and huge portions of just about everything.

Some Massachusetts folks- -particularly people who have been to PawSox games in years past--have a negative impression of Pawtucket. Have there been a lot of revitalization efforts in recent years? I drove around last Sunday and really liked what I saw. I enjoyed reading the Q & A with Herb W. in this forum and hearing about future plans, like a new commuter rail stop, etc.,  as well. Are there still parts of the city that are sketchy in terms of crime?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Pawtucket is a solid community that is in the process of remaking itself (with some success too!). They have gone a long way in keeping their neighborhoods intact and diversifying their economy from a manufacturing base. Granted, they still have a long way to go, but I think it's headed in the right direction. I'd certainly put it on a list of places to look at if I were house shopping. There are several very nice neighborhoods in Pawtucket.

I'm sure some Massachusetts folk have issues with Pawtucket, but I'm perplexed as to why. Massachusetts folk need to worry about New Bedford, Fall River, Lawerence, Worcester, Fitchburg, Springfield, Holyoke, Pittsfield...Pawtucket seems to be in a better position for the future than any of those cities. I guess it's all about perception.

I think Pawtucket is a solid community that is in the process of remaking itself (with some success too!).  They have gone a long way in keeping their neighborhoods intact and diversifying their economy from a manufacturing base.  Granted, they still have a long way to go, but I think it's headed in the right direction.  I'd certainly put it on a list of places to look at if I were house shopping.  There are several very nice neighborhoods in Pawtucket.

I'm sure some Massachusetts folk have issues with Pawtucket, but I'm perplexed as to why.  Massachusetts folk need to worry about New Bedford, Fall River, Lawerence, Worcester, Fitchburg, Springfield, Holyoke, Pittsfield...Pawtucket seems to be in a better position for the future than any of those cities.  I guess it's all about perception.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, KRC. Too often I think Pawtucket is unfairly compared with the Mass cities you mentioned.

Personally, I really like Pawtucket.  The area around Slater Park and Newport? Ave are newer, more suburban neighborhoods with small lot single family homes that are affordable and well kept (my friend from work lives right on Slater Park).  Slater Park is really really nice, and it has a nice greenway, the Ten Mile River Greenway, running from Armistice Blvd through it into East Providence.  Also, Division Street leading up to McCoy Stadium was recently redone with nice sidewalks, etc. as an enhancement project by RIDOT, and this area is much more urban but still well kept. 

I don't know much about the western side of Pawtucket, I've only driven through it a few times to get to Central Falls (along Lonsdale Ave).  All I can say is that it is mostly multi-family homes that aren't as well kept as other areas. 

I know the area around the old train station is kinda run-down, as is alot of the streets just north of downtown towards Central Falls.  FYI, two really good places to eat in the area: On Dexter STreet in Central Falls, Stanleys-really good old fashioned diner with greasy burgers and fatty fries and other delicious garbage, and (I think its called) the East Ave Cafe-an excellent irish restaurant with free soup and huge portions of just about everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. on Pawtucket. The side near E.P. sounds beautiful. I'll have to get one of those greasy bugers at Stanley's too.

I think Pawtucket is a solid community that is in the process of remaking itself (with some success too!).  They have gone a long way in keeping their neighborhoods intact and diversifying their economy from a manufacturing base.  Granted, they still have a long way to go, but I think it's headed in the right direction.  I'd certainly put it on a list of places to look at if I were house shopping.  There are several very nice neighborhoods in Pawtucket.

I'm sure some Massachusetts folk have issues with Pawtucket, but I'm perplexed as to why.  Massachusetts folk need to worry about New Bedford, Fall River, Lawerence, Worcester, Fitchburg, Springfield, Holyoke, Pittsfield...Pawtucket seems to be in a better position for the future than any of those cities.  I guess it's all about perception.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excelleant comeback!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Pawtucket gets a bad rap just as Providence used to. (As for people from Mass sneering at RI, don't even get me started!)

Pawtucket's negative rep is outdated and totally unjustified in my opinion. The city has some great neighborhoods, such as Quality Hill and Oak Hill, as well as some interesting redevelopment projects like Riverfront Lofts and Hope Webbing. I admit that the downtown is still scarred from 1960s urban renewal, parking lots, and some bad recent planning (demolishing the Leroy Theater for a Walgreens), but even there things are looking up. You've got a river, a waterfall, a cool Art Deco city hall, and some nice historic buildings that will get fixed up eventually. Plus it's next door to Providence and has great 95 access.

How can you not love the city that gave us not only the Industrial Revolution but the Modern Diner?

How can you not love the city that gave us not only the Industrial Revolution but the Modern Diner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean to get you guys upset with Massachusetts people. I probably should have edited my thoughts a bit. I definitely agree with you though. That's why I'm not looking at real estate in any of those cities. There's just no comparison. Are you referring to Stanley's? I'll have to definitely check that out.

I didn't mean to get you guys upset with Massachusetts people. I probably should have edited my thoughts a bit. I definitely agree with you though.  That's why I'm not looking at real estate in any of those cities. There's just no comparison. Are you referring to Stanley's? I'll have to definitely check that out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Modern Diner is different from Stanleys. Its on East Ave. Follow Hope street out of Providence and the modern will be a mile or so down on the right. They have AMAZING breakfast specials on the weekends that are far beyond normal diner fare. They also serve all your standard greasy sppon favorites all week long. Wonderful place.

http://www.hollyeats.com/ModernDiner.htm

Liam

Modern Diner is different from Stanleys. Its on East Ave. Follow Hope street out of Providence and the modern will be a mile or so down on the right. They have AMAZING breakfast specials on the weekends that are far beyond normal diner fare. They also serve all your standard greasy sppon favorites all week long. Wonderful place.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. on Modern Diner. How do you like living in the Armory neighborhood?

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can do the Modern Diner for breakfast (cash only) and then Stanley's for lunch. ;)

oh man... the Modern Diners corn beef hash for breakfast then a Stanley burger for lunch? My gallbladder just hurts thinking about it!

Hey Tom. Sorry I'm a little late on this one but speaking as a newly minted Pawtuckenese that came here via Providences west side I would say you really won't go wrong if you research the area properly. I'm amazed at the size and quality of house you can get here for half the price than you can over on the east (and even the west) side!

I don't want you to think that I'm putting down the Armory and west or east sides either.. those are great neighborhoods and I have alot of friends that still live in em. They were just smarter and bought earlier, have more money or are renting. I do miss the west side at times but I really believe in Pawtucket.. this town has so much history and flavor and I really do think that its going to get even better in the next 5 or so years.

I just saw a realtor at the single family house next to ours today.. I talked to the current owners and I think that they are putting the house up at $210,000. You should check it out.. Its on Daniels street in Pawtucket.. yellow house. right next to ours (9 daniels st).

-Jason

oh man... the Modern Diners corn beef hash for breakfast then a Stanley burger for lunch?  My gallbladder just hurts thinking about it!

Hey Tom.  Sorry I'm a little late on this one but speaking as a newly minted Pawtuckenese that came here via Providences west side I would say you really won't go wrong if you research the area properly.  I'm amazed at the size and quality of house you can get here for half the price than you can over on the east (and even the west) side!

I don't want you to think that I'm putting down the Armory and west or east sides either.. those are great neighborhoods and I have alot of friends that still live in em.  They were just smarter and bought earlier,  have more money or are renting.  I do miss the west side at times but I really believe in Pawtucket.. this town has so much history and flavor and I really do think that its going to get even better in the next 5 or so years.

I just saw a realtor at the single family house next to ours today.. I talked to the current owners and I think that they are putting the house up at $210,000.  You should check it out.. Its on Daniels street in Pawtucket.. yellow house.  right next to ours (9 daniels st).

-Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. on the house on Daniels Street. I'll definitely check it out.

Tom

I just saw a realtor at the single family house next to ours today.. I talked to the current owners and I think that they are putting the house up at $210,000.  You should check it out.. Its on Daniels street in Pawtucket.. yellow house.  right next to ours (9 daniels st).  -Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you guys recommend buyer/broker realtors in the area? I need to start getting serious about this real estate thing.

-Tom

Thanks for the info. on Modern Diner. How do you like living in the Armory neighborhood?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just adore the Armory. I have never lived in such a "neighborhood" before. I know all my neighbors, everyone is active in the community and people try to help each other out. I really like it a whole lot. I'm just glad that we bought 5 years ago when prices were still low. I don't think we could afford it now. The funny thing is at the time I remember my dad saying "Are you really sure you want to spend $125k on a 3 family in Providence? It seems awfully expensive". The Neightborhood Association is great ( www.wbna.org ) and there are a lot of cool events and perks that they offer. In the 5 years we have been there I have seen definite changes in the area for the better, and I think it will just continueon that way. What I would really like is to see more businesses, especially along Westminster. If they ever get that Diner thats up on blocks behind the funeral home restored it would be great.

Liam

I just adore the Armory. I have never lived in such a "neighborhood" before. I know all my neighbors, everyone is active in the community and people try to help each other out. I really like it a whole lot. I'm just glad that we bought 5 years ago when prices were still low. I don't think we could afford it now. The funny thing is at the time I remember my dad saying "Are you really sure you want to spend $125k on a 3 family in Providence? It seems awfully expensive". The Neightborhood Association is great ( www.wbna.org ) and there are a lot of cool events and perks that they offer.  In the 5 years we have been there I have seen definite changes in the area for the better, and I think it will just continueon that way. What I would really like is to see more businesses, especially along Westminster. If they ever get that Diner thats up on blocks behind the funeral home restored it would be great.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It definitely sounds cool. Which streets form the boundary of the Armory neighborhood? It's one area of Providence I haven't explored yet.

Pawtucket gets a bad rap just as Providence used to. (As for people from Mass sneering at RI, don't even get me started!)

Pawtucket's negative rep is outdated and totally unjustified in my opinion. The city has some great neighborhoods, such as Quality Hill and Oak Hill, as well as some interesting redevelopment projects like Riverfront Lofts and Hope Webbing. I admit that the downtown is still scarred from 1960s urban renewal, parking lots, and some bad recent planning (demolishing the Leroy Theater for a Walgreens), but even there things are looking up. You've got a river, a waterfall, a cool Art Deco city hall, and some nice historic buildings that will get fixed up eventually. Plus it's next door to Providence and has great 95 access.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I just hope Pawtucket's old railroad station becomes a railroad station again and doesn't get turned into another cookie-cutter strip mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Mass residents to be having issues with Pawtucket, well, that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

It definitely sounds cool. Which streets form the boundary of the Armory neighborhood? It's one area of Providence I haven't explored yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the Armory neighborhood itself would be basically between Westminster and Cranston Street bordered by Bridgham St on the East and Messer to the West. It is generally lumped into the larger West Broadway neighborhood which pretty much extends the boundary north to Broadway. Its a little rough around the edges, but there are some beautiful houses, a great park, and a lot of community spirit. I dig it. We live on Harrison Street, which is just east of Dexter. Dexter Park runs between Dexter Street and Parade Street with the Armory itself sitting on the Cranston street end of things.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.814819,-...,0.021040&hl=en

Liam

Well the Armory neighborhood itself would be basically between Westminster and Cranston Street bordered by Bridgham St on the East and Messer to the West.  It is generally lumped into the larger West Broadway neighborhood which pretty much extends the boundary north to Broadway.  Its a little rough around the edges, but there are some beautiful houses, a great park, and a lot of community spirit. I dig it.  We live on Harrison Street, which is just east of Dexter. Dexter Park runs between Dexter Street and Parade Street with the Armory itself sitting on the Cranston street end of things.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.814819,-...,0.021040&hl=en Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Liam. My next trip to Pvd. will definitely include time in the Armory neighborhood. Tom

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Liam.  My next trip to Pvd. will definitely include time in the Armory neighborhood. Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd be doing yourself a service if you do. The Armory, in my opinion anyway, is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Providence. Everything Liam has said is true. The turn around in that neighboorhood in the past 5 years has been nothing short of spectacular. Some of those houses make you drool. Ooops. Did I say that out loud?

Archived