Pawtucket

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be doing yourself a service if you do.  The Armory, in my opinion anyway, is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Providence.  Everything Liam has said is true.  The turn around in that neighboorhood in the past 5 years has been nothing short of spectacular.  Some of those houses make you drool.  Ooops.  Did I say that out loud?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info., KRC. I can't wait to check it out

-Tom

• 2 months later...

Finally!!!!!!!

Pawtucket Hotel Project

07-14-2005 3:59 AM

(Pawtucket, RI) -- City officials will hold a ceremony today to celebrate completion of a deal for a riverfront hotel on Division Street in Pawtucket. In addition to the 200-room Hampton Inn, the project includes a separate restaurant and an office building. The development will be located on a seven-point-four-acre parcel of land which had been the site of car dealerships. The land was purchased by the City in 1999.

http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/news.cf..._id=24491&rfi=8

• 8 months later...

The Providence one, was that the pre-river relocation loop south of the state house (south from Francis street?)

It's a bit vague, but I remember street signs along Empire, Weybosset reading something like "Downtown Circulator" - I think it used to be some one-way streets they designated to move cars easily thoughout downtown (or so the city planners hoped!).

It's a bit vague, but I remember street signs along Empire, Weybosset reading something like "Downtown Circulator" - I think it used to be some one-way streets they designated to move cars easily thoughout downtown (or so the city planners hoped!).

I think there's still a sign on Richmond near the highway overpass.

Working from home today..

I had to go to the bank, It was so great just driving and walking around downtown Pawtucket. There is so much potential here. Hey Eltron! Whats going on with the Grant project in the Poamland building?

Had lunch at the Modern with a friend then headed home. I even saw a hipster looking girl walking around downtown, a good sign if ever there was one.

Now I'm back at my house in Pleasant View working and looking out on my neighborhood, which needs a severe cleaning up by the way. Why are the people around here so ignorant about littering? It really drives me insane. I was on the front porch of my house the other day and this truck pulls up and dumps all this fast food refuse all over our street. I almost ran out and throttled the moron but thought better of it..no sense in arguing with cavemen.

Now I know that this kind of thing happens all over but it really seems to happen alot here in Pleasant View. WTF?

• 2 months later...

read your article about litter in your neighborhood. Call Jack Carney, of Public Works, if there is alot of litter around. He can be reached at 724-5200, ext. 236. also, take the license plate down of the person who littered out of his car. At least give that to the Police Department. herb weiss, economic and cultural affairs officer, City of Pawtucket.

read your article about litter in your neighborhood. Call Jack Carney, of Public Works, if there is alot of litter around. He can be reached at 724-5200, ext. 236. also, take the license plate down of the person who littered out of his car. At least give that to the Police Department. herb weiss, economic and cultural affairs officer, City of Pawtucket.

You really think that the police will do something about some random person littering? I don't think so.. its epidemic around here!

I think that the city does need to crack down on littering for sure but I don't think it can ever be productive if its just "give a license plate to the police". there needs to be some pride taken in our neighborhoods, more trash cans or cans attached to poles.. signs saying littering comes with a fine.

How about a REAL citywide street tree program? The 50/50 program is ok but nothing will change until the city is able to appoint someone to proactively plant trees around the city, hundreds of em like Jen in Providence does.

Until things start changing people around here will treat this place like a dump. I pick up trash every day in front of my house, I watch as kids and adults alike throw trash out the windows of cars or just dump litter on my street as they pass by. Jack Carney is but one man with a small crew.. what we are talking about is cultural and the city needs to take an active part in changing the way people view the areas that they live in.

You really think that the police will do something about some random person littering? I don't think so.. its epidemic around here!

I think that the city does need to crack down on littering for sure but I don't think it can ever be productive if its just "give a license plate to the police". there needs to be some pride taken in our neighborhoods, more trash cans or cans attached to poles.. signs saying littering comes with a fine.

How about a REAL citywide street tree program? The 50/50 program is ok but nothing will change until the city is able to appoint someone to proactively plant trees around the city, hundreds of em like Jen in Providence does.

Until things start changing people around here will treat this place like a dump. I pick up trash every day in front of my house, I watch as kids and adults alike throw trash out the windows of cars or just dump litter on my street as they pass by. Jack Carney is but one man with a small crew.. what we are talking about is cultural and the city needs to take an active part in changing the way people view the areas that they live in.

Tom Willett, of the Planning Department, is a person you should contact with your suggestion about trees. He is the City's Tree Warden, I believe and he can be reached at 724-5200. As to stronger enforcement of litter, call Don Grebien or your District's City Councilor to see if they can strengthen the City regs against littering. Herb Weiss

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Downtown district gets historic recognition. After a two-year effort by city and state officials and preservationists, the National Register of Historic Places has approved federal recognition of a 14-acre swatch, which includes 50 commercial buildings, as the Downtown Pawtucket Historic District. http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/news.cf...24491&rfi=6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The La Chiva cafe on Broad St in front of the old depot has what looks like an authentic Colombian Chiva bus parked out front. It is currently decorated with insane Christmas lights and it might be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

• 11 months later...

Is anyone else seeing crime rising in Pawtucket neighborhoods? Things in my neighborhood are steadily declining and its really bumming us out.. there have been FIVE breakins on my street in the past 2 months... the last one occurred at 7:00 pm tonight right next door to my house.

My wife and I are really sad and are thinking about selling and getting out of here no matter the hit we'd take... we'll see. We're just so frigging stressed from worrying about getting broken into all the time.. there are so many absentee landlords around here and we're seeing a much higher rate of scumbags walking around our neighborhood.

we have 2 dogs, a house alarm, bars on the basement windows etc but we still don't feel at ease.. someones targeting our street and I don't think the police can do anything about it.. a house 2 houses away from ours got hit this last Saturday during the day and the burglars got a gun in addition to valuables.. a friggin gun!

sorry for the venting here..my neighbors and myself feel helpless.

Is anyone else seeing crime rising in Pawtucket neighborhoods? Things in my neighborhood are steadily declining and its really bumming us out.. there have been FIVE breakins on my street in the past 2 months... the last one occurred at 7:00 pm tonight right next door to my house.

My wife and I are really sad and are thinking about selling and getting out of here no matter the hit we'd take... we'll see. We're just so frigging stressed from worrying about getting broken into all the time.. there are so many absentee landlords around here and we're seeing a much higher rate of scumbags walking around our neighborhood.

we have 2 dogs, a house alarm, bars on the basement windows etc but we still don't feel at ease.. someones targeting our street and I don't think the police can do anything about it.. a house 2 houses away from ours got hit this last Saturday during the day and the burglars got a gun in addition to valuables.. a friggin gun!

Sucks about the breakins, but I think that is pretty endemic around the country right now, at least in urban areas. I've actually found the city to be responsive to issues, and even occasionally proactive. It usually takes an issue to get things going, and clearly there is an issue to get people rallied around.

Overall, I see Pawtucket continuing on the upswing, even in the down economic time. I've been pretty happy since moving downtown, and things overall have been very positive, but there are always going to be bumps in the road...

Archived