Pawtucket

Thanks to the vigilance of my neighbor we caught the thief that has been terrorizing our neighborhood. She patrolled the area Fri and saw a man climbing up the fire escape of 5 Daniels Street (the same house that got robbed wed night), called the police and they had the house surrounded in minutes. The thief tried to escape out the back but the police blocked him, he then got onto the roof and tried to climb down and escape, the police of course blocking him again.

He stayed on the roof of 5 Daniels for 2 hours before the Pawtucket Police talked him down and took him into custody.

As far as I can tell, this is the same thief that is responsible for the 6 robberies on Daniels Street in the last six weeks and his returning to the same house seems to be his habit. He robbed the same house 3 times on Daniels and returned to another house on Daniels twice. There is speculation that he has a female accomplice.

I

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is awesome. I saw the lead on the news and wasn't sure it was your guy or not.

I actually left a post that seemed to disappear, but the upshot was that if anybody's home during the day, make a big deal of going out and in so the bad guys know it's not a good street. When was he breaking in, middle of the day?

Great to see some good news out of Pawtucket, especially now that Reuters is running this gem.

• 1 month later...

Neighborhood group returns to Quality Hill

Loosely picking up on a past format, a group of like-minded homeowners has formed a Quality Hill neighborhood alliance. Since last spring, members have reached out to fellow residents of this 20-block enclave from Walcott and Summit streets to the beginning of Armistice Boulevard.

http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/content/view/69841/27/

• 3 months later...

Serious Bummer Bloody Rocker, serious indeed, you guys did a great job organizing with the cops and thanks to you and the neighbors, you caught him, major league kudos to you.

But I have to agree with the other comments, it's tough all over. I've been living on the same street as Bloody rocker for almost twice as long and I'm sorry to say it's nothing entirely new. Crime is very cyclical around here, some of us are just unlucky enough to have experienced it personally.

It sucks to have invested in a home in Pawtucket only to realize later that all the arts/entertainment related development that the city waves around like a flag doesn't at all include where you live and really only applies to the immediate downtown area. I know how Bloodyrocker feels, around the time he was moving in I was feeling like selling and getting the heck out of the bucket myself, frustrated with the lack of visible progress.

Obviously, my guy and I stayed and I can honestly say it's still getting better over here despite the breakin events. I don't know actual crime statistics to back it up, but on a

All our little groups need to start working together because times are getting tougher and after one neighborhood fixes a problem, the problem often moves on to the next available space where the community is less vocal. As I see Downtown improve, which I truly am happy to see, I would hate if it happened at the expense of Broadway and Pleasant View. ... I also hear they've been able to control the prostitution problems at Barton St. which is really great of course, but there's been a growing influx of it on Broadway now.

thanks for the contact frymaster,

I'm curious if some of their success is due in part to the Weed & Seed grant which is run out of WCC. It's a great progam if you have the right people managing it. Pleasant view had that same grant years ago, long before woodlawn, back when I first got involved in the community. We did some good stuff with it too, after it being somewhat mismanaged early on. We were able to get a good group together for a couple of years and got some really good programs going. Unfortunately bloodyrocker got involved at the tail end when the grant was winding down and things weren't looking as optimistic and it was hard to see the successes we had achieved by looking at crime statistics on paper.

Through that grant we had a great bike cop program and got some kids off the street too with some really good afterschool progams. We had some good adult programs too like first time home buyer, basic computer skills and we did some good work through BVAC (domestic violence). We also had some great green initiative stuff going on with kids helping to cleanup but it was amazingly difficult to get things going to a sustainable level because we don't have the kinds of resources over here that they do in Woodlawn by having a community center, allot of social services and a committed group of individuals who probably make huge personal sacrifices to see theses things through. It really is great that they could learn from our mistakes and really make that grant flourish over there, at this point we need to learn from them.

I would like to try and reestablish the PVNA or maybe the "weed and seed graduated site status" which is a method by which we can organize with the city after the grant has run out (which ours did 3 years ago) or at least try and help bring our neighbors together again. I feel we have an opportunity here, but we cannot do this without each others help. I tried to run the neighborhood association for this area in the past but because it was at a time when there wasn't enough of a system for individual support by the other association members, this task was too big for one person, I refused to continue to do it at the expense of my professional and personal life which was starting to be the case.

I think the point here is everyone needs to be honest and upfront about what they can and can't do in these community organization situations and I am trying to start that dialogue with people in my community now.

Correction to my last post: the trees on roosevelt were privately paid for, the city just cut the holes in the sidewalk.

I agree with so much of what both of you have said! And Pam, I still think, as you mentioned also, that a huge part of the issue in PV is the lack of a physical space such as the community center. Probably a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be so great if the city backed a physical space such as they did and have in Woodlawn? I hear you about the prostitutes getting pushed into PV, but I bet that the street outreach worker would love more info on their patterns in your 'hood. She's very mobile and has mentioned several times that this phenomenon is going on.

While Pawt Citizens Dev Corp and Woodlawn CDC share a building, the Barton Street Neighborhood Revitilization Project is based out of PCDC. The prostitution diversion program (which has received national recognition!) is run under that umbrella. Woodlawn and Barton Street have had their own issues with neighborhood groups. The WNA TOTALLY does not mirror the neighborhood and does not share the commitment to working with the disenfranchised and low income that others in the hood have. And the Barton St association was at it's strongest when there was an amazing, committed community organizer pushing things along. Watching how they've developed, it seems that PCDC has been most successful when organizing the neighborhood around things that specifically touched their lives. I think that it's gone more smoothly and had more people engaged when this has happened, as their after school/summer program has been really successful and also served to create more of a sense of community amongst families than rallying around prostitution had.

Holy run on sentence!

I agree with so much of what both of you have said! And Pam, I still think, as you mentioned also, that a huge part of the issue in PV is the lack of a physical space such as the community center. Probably a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be so great if the city backed a physical space such as they did and have in Woodlawn? I hear you about the prostitutes getting pushed into PV, but I bet that the street outreach worker would love more info on their patterns in your 'hood. She's very mobile and has mentioned several times that this phenomenon is going on.

Woodlawn and Barton Street have had their own issues with neighborhood groups. The WNA TOTALLY does not mirror the neighborhood and does not share the commitment to working with the disenfranchised and low income that others in the hood have. And the Barton St association was at it's strongest when there was an amazing, committed community organizer pushing things along. Watching how they've developed, it seems that PCDC has been most successful when organizing the neighborhood around things that specifically touched their lives. I think that it's gone more smoothly and had more people engaged when this has happened, as their after school/summer program has been really successful and also served to create more of a sense of community amongst families than rallying around prostitution had.

Thanks GabachaY,

I would love to get in touch with you and get the outreach workers contact info. can we post email addresses here? I know you guys have been at it long before that grant came around and you truly do amazing work, I'm also familiar w/Nancy at PCDC, good, good stuff.

Luke tried to get things going for a community ctr years ago and found little/no support from the city. Maybe the problem was finding a space, I don't really know. At one point I was trying to set up meetings with those who brought the wcc to fruition, but everyone from the city, etc. were such naysaysers about the funding and I was talked out of it (my own mistake). There's lots of real estate up now, including the sacred heart church at park/fountain. a great spot for a community center and a small playground, something that the kids down here really need! I read the pawt. foundation did a study on whether or not to put a community center in the vacant cong. church downtown (amongst other things) I'm currently exploring what their plans are and whether or not that is something that could happen.

You bring up an important point about WNA, I have recently realized that what you say is true and so very unfortunate. One thing we have an advantage with over here in PV, is that most of our neighbors get along for the most part, we tend to work together to help each other regardless of our differences, maybe because PV is smaller and there isn't really a "good" side or "bad" side, it's all sort of middle ground where the individual properties stick out as taken care of or not. When we did have a neighborhood assoc. it was fairly diversified, not as much as we would have liked of course, but some diversity is always better than none.

Get your behind to the community center, Pam! This is Melissa...and I haven't seen you since I stalked you down Broadway and ambushed you outside Matos Bakery! I have long since lost the cell phone I had your number saved in!

Archived