MARTA & Other Transit Expansions?...

Hybrid0NE

Among the Atlanta transit plans under review / design:

MARTA East Line extension - heavy rail

MARTA West Line extension - BRT (!?!)

MARTA North Line extension - heavy rail

I always thought the following were MARTA projects also...

Beltline light rail (on the official site under planning studies)

C Loop light rail / BRT (on the official site under studies also)

Peachtree St street car

Downtown Loop street car

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty much informed on the Beltline project but any news on the MARTA heavy rail expansions and the other projects? I saw an exciting graphic on the MARTA site showing the North Line study area going to Windward Parkway but outside of that everything is kept quiet (at least to a non-resident like myself). I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that BRT isn't the greatest idea for the area. How rapid will it be when you're stuck in 4-8 lanes of congestion?

P.S. If anyone has a map of what the original MARTA lines were to terminate throughout the 5-county area, I'd be very thankful upon seeing it. :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty much informed on the Beltline project but any news on the MARTA heavy rail expansions and the other projects? I saw an exciting graphic on the MARTA site showing the North Line study area going to Windward Parkway but outside of that everything is kept quiet (at least to a non-resident like myself). I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that BRT isn't the greatest idea for the area. How rapid will it be when you're stuck in 4-8 lanes of congestion?

P.S. If anyone has a map of what the original MARTA lines were to terminate throughout the 5-county area, I'd be very thankful upon seeing it.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MARTA continues to plan for future expansion, executing studies and developing potential routes. But as it stands right now, MARTA has no funding source. Fulton and Dekalb counties did not renew the 1 percent sales tax behind I think 2032 so MARTA can not issue bonds against future tax revenues and therefore can not afford an expansions :(

Hopefully the state will come through at some point and/or push the remaining core counties into adopting the 1% sales tax (unlikely since sales tax would be voted on and historically, has not faired well outside of Fulton or Dekalb counties).

MARTA continues to plan for future expansion, executing studies and developing potential routes.  But as it stands right now, MARTA has no funding source.  Fulton and Dekalb counties did not renew the 1 percent sales tax behind I think 2032 so MARTA can not issue bonds against future tax revenues and therefore can not afford an expansions :(

Hopefully the state will come through at some point and/or push the remaining core counties into adopting the 1% sales tax (unlikely since sales tax would be voted on and historically, has not faired well outside of Fulton or Dekalb counties).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, if I'm understanding this correctly; mass transit (trains & buses) in Atlanta will be shutdown after 2032, if no other source funds MARTA?

That'll be a big mess and it's kind of crazy, but I can understand the residents of Fulton & Dekalb getting tired of the rest of the region piggybacking on them. I don't understand why the State doesn't force the outlying counties to help out, all those feeder buses from Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton aren't funneling their residents into nothing (not yet at least). If there weren't so many little chickens**t counties scattered about, it would all be a lot easier to coordinate metropolitan issues (we've only got one major suburban county to deal with here and they've historically given Columbia hell).

Sad part is, with all of that said; I still look forward to moving to Atlanta ITP. Hopefully, they'd get everything worked out before it's too late.

One positive aspect of this dilemna - the greater the threat, the more likely something will be done. Most governments don't react to something until the consequences are visibly dire - as in the sewer funding crisis for the city of Atlanta, nearly at the last minute, state & federal financing/assistance was provided. This will be the case for MARTA, there may be unfortunately more layoffs, bus route terminations & scheduling adjustements - but something will eventually be done.

I didn't realize Atlanta had sewer funding issues but I guess we could view it's resolution as a glimmer of hope for MARTA's situation. Now I'm lost on the Beltline situation, if MARTA has no funds available then why are they pushing it so hard? I think I read something about private money being used to attain land for Beltline but nothing about it going towards transit construction.

I didn't realize Atlanta had sewer funding issues but I guess we could view it's resolution as a glimmer of hope for MARTA's situation. Now I'm lost on the Beltline situation, if MARTA has no funds available then why are they pushing it so hard? I think I read something about private money being used to attain land for Beltline but nothing about it going towards transit construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The funding for the Beltline right now is expected to come from the city assigning a CID to the areas expected to be effected by it. As redevelopment occurs, the property values (and therefore property taxes the city collects) will rise. The city can issue bonds against this future tax revenue to pay for the construction.

There are talks of extending the West MARTA Line to Fulton Industrial Boulevard, the North Line to Alphaetta, and,of course, the South Line's second Airport station.

I'd like to see a MARTA Line that goes around Atlanta like the Beltline would.

There are talks of extending the West MARTA Line to Fulton Industrial Boulevard, the North Line to Alphaetta, and,of course, the South Line's second Airport station.

I'd like to see a MARTA Line that goes around Atlanta like the Beltline would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mentioned those already - but you did add the second Airport station, which is also unknown if it will ever receive funding. The odd thing about the west line extension - is that it may be BRT rather than rail.

Archived