Restaurants with Outdoor Seating

matt

Now that the weather is starting to warm, it is so nice to be able to enjoy the city from the outdoors. I can think of a few places to enjoy a meal or a drink that have outdoor seating, but I'd love some more ideas.

I know theres the ground level restaurants at Providence Place.

Theres the Fish Company, which much to my surprise, was very quiet last summer on nice sunny afternoons. What are some favorites?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J. Goff's in the Jewelry District was a great place, but that's gone. :(

Jake's also in the Jewelry District is a nice place for afterwork drinks if you can get a table. The garden area at Olga's Cup & Saucer in the Jewelry District is nice for breakfast and lunch (they close early, no dinner). Z Bar & Grille on Wickenden has a nice patio out back. Almost everyplace on Federal Hill has outdoor tables, but the places in DePasquale Plaza offer the best atmosphere. Bella Vista in Waterplace Park.

EDIT: I guess that's two votes for Z Bar, I'm too slow. ^_^

Okay, well its in East Providence, but it's definitely worth the awful drive over the Washington Bridge: Madeira Restaurant. Authentic Portuguese food with an amazing outdoor setting (a fake river, palm trees, docks and boats i think too) and an excellent menu. Real easy to find since its a huge pink tropical looking out of place building on Warren Ave.

For Waterfires, there no outdoor dining better than Cafe Nuovo.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though the dining hall atop 15 West might be better when/if it is done.

Here's my list; less glamorous, but within my budget, at least:

Not Just Snacks, Hope Street = Not great ambiance or view, but authentic Indian Food that puts India to shame.

Brickway, Wickendon = great breakfast with optional outdoor seating to watch all the other late hungover risers on going to the Coffee Exchange

Seven Stars, Hope Street = Grab a coffee and an amazing gingerbread muffin, eat it outside in the garden, or walk down to the library

The Taco Truck, various locations (call 751-TRUK?) = Usually at the Decatur on Friday nights, order up a taco or burrito with beef, chicken or fish and kick it all back with a frosty beer from the bar. Eat it all outside on the deck, or go in to enjoy a game of pool or yell at the TV screen

Julians, Broadway = Great evening fare as well as breakfast. Ecletic menu, and outdoor seating.

And finally, Mediterrano = Just kidding, I've never eaten there but I wouldn't mind an invitation

And finally, Mediterrano = Just kidding, I've never eaten there but I wouldn't mind an invitation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been there, frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Not Just Snacks, Hope Street = Not great ambiance or view, but authentic Indian Food that puts India to shame.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this one. Most people don't know about it. India, BTW, really isn't authentic at all, but is more in the "fusion" category. My favorite Indian in Providence is Bombay Club on Federal Hill (Dean and Atwell), which is excellent. #2 is Taste of India, and #3 for me is the still excellent Not Just Snacks.

Did anyone mention Restaurante Romanza on Wickenden for outdoor dining? If I recall, they have a nice patio out back.

Haruki East in Wayland Sq has some outdoor tables, I recall. Does Paragon on Thayer have some outdoor tables?

Of course, you can always sit outside at Maximillan Ice Cream :)... While I love all their intense flavors, I have a special place in my heart for their basic chocolate chip. Best chocolate chip I've ever had...

- Garris

Does Paragon on Thayer have some outdoor tables? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! One night I sat outside and enjoyed a nice dessert! :thumbsup::)

Also enjoyed many a summer nights on the deck at Trinity Brewhouse.

Where is Maximillan Ice Cream?

Moda (next to Hot Club and Fish Co.) has seating outside in the warmer months for both food and drink as does Al Forno in their own courtyard. Neither are cheap but the food is great at both locations.

I think Maximillians is at the intersection of Hope and Blackstone Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just love Not Just Snacks. The food is fantastic & cheap, and the staff is extremely nice. If our toddler starts to fuss one of the waitresses will come over and insist we finish eating while she amuses the baby. Its great!

Liam

Julian is fighting the City. They want to crush his out door seating. I'm not sure if it's city-wide or just him. I suspect it's more nanny regulation.

Over in East Prov, on the water and with parking, is Houlihan's. 195 east to the Riverside exit. Bear right onto Vets Mem parkway, then take your first right. Go straight down to the river.

It's on Bold Point at the base of the Washington Bridge. Next to the East Prov Yacht Club, another great watering hole.

Julian is fighting the City. They want to crush his out door seating. I'm not sure if it's city-wide or just him. I suspect it's more nanny regulation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would imagine it's noisy neighbourhood NIMBYs. Broadway is more residential than not. Unlike say, Atwells.

So am I the only person in town that really doesn't like Julians? Everyone seems to love the place, but every time I have gone it's been mediocre food and exceptionally bad service (like having to track down waitstaff to be able to place an order...) It's probably been a couple years since I've gone so I should probably give it another shot.

Also - Has anyone tried the Classic Cafe? Its a diner on Westminster St at Conanicus Square. I noticed that the Phoenix gave it the "Best Greasy Spoon" award, and I must say their space looks 100 times nicer with the new windows and awnings.

Liam

I agree that Julian's had a poor service record in the past. I once brought a business contact there for lunch. The place was empty and it still took them most of an hour to serve two sandwiches. This was 3 years ago.

It's much better now, and I've become a big fan of the place. The food has been consistantly great and service is with a smile. I suspect this is partly due to the new open-kitchen design, so the chef is always on stage and staff communication is perfect. Still, I preffer to eat at the bar, where service is always better than at a table. This is true anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived