Restaurants with Outdoor Seating

matt

Thayer St.: anyone who doesn't know should know that almost every restaurant on Thayer has outdoor seating. Problem with Thayer is noise pollution, I'm sorry to say. Loud pipes save lives but make everyone else in the world miserable.

Kartabar expanded and now takes two storefronts so they have about 5 outdoor tables plus 4 or 5 tables that are technically indoor but they have the floor to ceiling windows open so you get the open air experience.

East Side Pockets puts two tables out, I believe.

Shanghai has about 6 tables out there (but the food isn't great).

Across the street is Andreas which with their expanded front has I think ten outdoor tables.

Paragon keeps about a half dozen tables along Angell.

Kabob and Curry has about 3 tables

Johnny Rockets has 4.

Wickenden St. has a couple of places that have a couple of outdoor seats

The fish Company and Hot Club have outdoor terraces.

Hope Village/Summit/Whatever

Pizzico keeps three tables outside

Hope St. Pizza has four or five

Seven Stars Bakery has a little outdoor terrace

Not Just Snacks has two tables outside

India has 3-4 outside tables

Wayland Square

The Starbucks is a nice place to enjoy a fair evening.

The two cafes on Elmgrove (Garris would know their names) have outdoor seating

Downcity

Beyond the aforementioned,

Bravo Cafe has put some nice tables out on Empire. I think they have 7 or 8 out there.

Federal Hill

a lot of places on the Hill put out tables on the sidewalk. Plus, the window seats at Mediterraneo are great on a breezy night.

Unbeknownst to me until the Federal Hill stroll last week, Cassarino's has an outdoor terrace in the back.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of places on the Hill put out tables on the sidewalk. Plus, the window seats at Mediterraneo are great on a breezy night.

Unbeknownst to me until the Federal Hill stroll last week, Cassarino's has an outdoor terrace in the back.

Had a great night on Friday eating ourdoors in De Pasquale Square on the Hill. Live music and a ton of outdoor seating and many places to pick from.

Noone mentioned RiRa either but that's not a huge shame because I'm not all that impressed with their new chef.

IMO the best place in the state for outdoor dining is the original J.G. Goff's in Bristol. You get a fantastic water view, a nice breeze, and some good food at reasonable prices.

I wish we had more plazas like DePasquale Square. Just places where bunches of people could get together and eat, drink, be merry, but also have a choice of restaurants. Every decent sized town in Europe seems to have a place like that.

Noone mentioned RiRa either but that's not a huge shame because I'm not all that impressed with their new chef.

I had a lousy burger there on Saturday night, how do you screw up a burger?

IMO the best place in the state for outdoor dining is the original J.G. Goff's in Bristol. You get a fantastic water view, a nice breeze, and some good food at reasonable prices.

I was at Goff's in Bristol last week. It was really nice sitting on the deck enjoying some beers. I have to make a point of spending more time in Bristol.

I forgot about the Bravo brasserie outdoor setaing. I have to say that they are the best looking outdoor seating of any restaurant that has outdoor seating in Prov. Owners spent some time picking them out. Plus the window at Bravo in the bar area open out as well.

Brick,

Great list!

Wayland Square

The Starbucks is a nice place to enjoy a fair evening.

The two cafes on Elmgrove (Garris would know their names) have outdoor seating

This is my Wayland Sq list:

Starbucks: Probably the Square's best outdoor dining area...

Wayland Deli: At the intersection of S. Angell, Angell, and Wayland there are a few tables...

Haruki East: Has several very busy/popular outdoor tables...

Red Stripe: While not outdoor per se, they have their large windows in front open/removed...

Coffee Edge: Has several nice tables outside right now...

Izzy's Market Cafe: New Kosher takeout/lunch place shares outdoor tables with the neighboring Butcher Store (these are the ones on Elmsgrove you mentioned)...

Hope Village/Summit/Whatever

:D

- Garris

I was at Goff's in Bristol last week. It was really nice sitting on the deck enjoying some beers. I have to make a point of spending more time in Bristol.

When were you there? I was there last week as well.

In addition to Geoff's for outdoor dining in Bristol, right across the parking lot there is DeWolf Tavern which has an outdoor deck which is open starting this week, I believe. I had a dissapointingly (and surprisingly) blah dinner while there last week. They felt "off" that night. Previous meals I've had there were outstanding and their reputation is one of near perfection.

- Garris

I had a lousy burger there on Saturday night, how do you screw up a burger?

Seriously. I was friends with the one of the old chefs (Rob), who last I knew was across the street at Raphael. He ran that kitchen perfectly, IMO. It is a pub and you want wholesome and flavorful and that's about it. He understood that. The current chef is I think the third since Rob left about 18 months ago and he is just not good at the pub style stuff.

There was a time when a perfect summer day was getting up at 8, sailing the Bay until 4, maybe with a swim, coming back to Bristol, pounding a few at Goff's with some fried seafood, then doing a pub crawl. Come to think of it, that sounds pretty darn good about now, too! :w00t:

Yeah, Bristol is a good place for summer drinking/dining. Aidan's also has a patio outdoors.

Doesn't Tazza on Westminster have some tables outside?

In response to Julian's, Ive been about 4 times this year and had an outstanding meal every time. They have tables on Broadway and a patio out back. The food is some of the most, if not the most creative I've had, and I've eaten out a lot. Great beer & drink menu, cool atmosphere.

To add to Wickenden, Cafe Zog (breakfast/lunch) has a nice patio out back, a few tables in front; Sakura has a deck out front with tables; Amy's Place (breakfast/lunch) has tables out front.

In East Providence, I think most of the Portuguese places have outdoor dining - Madeira, SolMar, Riviera...

I have to second the shout to Houlihan's, that's a great place to hang out - nice, different view of the city from their deck.

Had some food and drinks last night outside the Wild Colonial. It's close to the river and surrounded by some great old buildings, but you're basically sitting in a mostly-empty parking lot.

Isn't there some outdoor seating in the plaza outside of Hemmingway's on South Main?

If you want to eat outdoors in Bristol, you gotta go to Quito's. On the water, superfresh seafood, very friendly, what more could you want?

Absoutely! Quito's has the best and freshest seafood at the best price in a good location - next to Independence Park. And for outdoor drinking, try Aidian's Pub. I frequent that place a lot...its' a great Irish Pub; even if you're Portuguese! ;)

Brick,

Great list!

This is my Wayland Sq list:

Red Stripe: While not outdoor per se, they have their large windows in front open/removed...

- Garris

Just noticed Friday that Red Stripe does have outdoor tables on the sidewalk. I think 4 or 5 tables.

Just noticed Friday that Red Stripe does have outdoor tables on the sidewalk. I think 4 or 5 tables.

If things haven't changed since last year, however, you can't have dinner outside, just drinks and *maybe* appetizers. That may have changed though, so someone let me know if I'm wrong.

It's not open yet? I received an email from them last week that said they were opening the deck Friday night. I almost went there to check it out.

I was at MHC two Saturdays ago - the night of Riversing - and the deck was open and full with people chowing. They were supposed to have the jazz quartet on the deck too, but the spotty weather prevented that. BTW, the quartet, called the Swing N' Strings, is excellent, and plays at MHC regularly.

I noticed that none of the Jewelry District places are on the list. Jakes has 6 tables or so, and good pub food. Olga's Cup and Saucer has tables and benches outside for an excellent if pricey lunch. And I think Big Fish has garage door fronts that they lift on nice nights.

Ok, I think we've established that every good restaurant in the city has placed some tables outside.

Here's a question, though... What are the best outdoor dining experiences in RI? Not just a few tables next to a parking lot, but something special?

- Garris

Here's a question, though... What are the best outdoor dining experiences in RI? Not just a few tables next to a parking lot, but something special?

- Garris

My two favorites are the Mooring in Newport - that's right off of Bannister's Wharf, and in the middle of Newport Harbor. The other is the Spain Restaurant in Narragansett, south of Scarborough Beach. It has an authentic Spanish-style outdoor terrace, and the food (and especially the service) are excellent.

For Bristol County, my favorite outdoor dining experience (and often overlooked) is the Tav Vino on Water Street in Warren. It has excellent food and outdoor ambience. The building lookes like an old lobster/fish house, with little nooks and crannies where tables are set up here and there. It's great for a romantic dinner.

Archived