Restaurants with Outdoor Seating

matt

Ok, I think we've established that every good restaurant in the city has placed some tables outside.

Here's a question, though... What are the best outdoor dining experiences in RI? Not just a few tables next to a parking lot, but something special?

- Garris

I hear a lot of talk about Chelo's in Greenwich Bay because it's near the water and boats, but I'm not sure if theres outdoor seating. I would image that there is though.

http://www.chelos.com/greenwichbay.html

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question, though... What are the best outdoor dining experiences in RI? Not just a few tables next to a parking lot, but something special?

- Garris

I think the places on Thayer are fun to eat outside at, just for the people-watching aspect.

Cafe Nuovo has to be one of the best spots to eat outside in Providence, especially since their food is so good.

Also I have to vote for the Fish Co. & the Hot Club, because nothing beats the view from the river down there.

I hear a lot of talk about Chelo's in Greenwich Bay because it's near the water and boats, but I'm not sure if theres outdoor seating. I would image that there is though.

http://www.chelos.com/greenwichbay.html

Chelos does have outdoor seating and a nice view, but it's still Chelos. I mean, that's fine and all and they have decent chowder, but don't expect a fine dining experience.

Spain is great but I've never dined outside. They certainly don't make any great pains to advertise the outdoor seating.

I guess it depends on the experience. The experience you get from sitting at Cafe Nuovo is going to be very different from the one you get from Aunt Carrie's. Depending on what you are going for, either one can be preferred. I love getting clamcakes and chowder and sitting on the Narragansett Pier. But I'm not sure that qualifies as an experience.

Oh, actually, any fireworks night that you can sit on the deck at the Coast Guard House in Naragansett is a nice experience. With the right seat, you can see almost every fireworks display on the bay - Bristol, Newport, Warwick, Cranson, even Providence. That's an experience worth noting this week, I suppose.

Here's a question, though... What are the best outdoor dining experiences in RI?

DePasquale Plaza is always nice. If something were built on Parcel 1A(?) the Union Station Plaza restaurants would be fantastic, but RiRa and Rafaels are kind of ruined by being on the edge of a parking lot. Might as well eat on the sidewalks in Garden City. :sick:

Your endless quest to have RIPTA drag your sorry ass home at 2am.

I think of you as more of a donut-holic though.

Lol ahh yes, that gives it away. I do, however, remember a certain someone camped out in the beer tent two weekends ago....

If they would put a concept store in the Dunk that would be a good place for cafe seating.

That'd be awesome. Like the Concept Store in the Bucket that I frequent. Warm peanut butter cup cookies, all I have to say...

Lol ahh yes, that gives it away. I do, however, remember a certain someone camped out in the beer tent two weekends ago....

That'd be awesome. Like the Concept Store in the Bucket that I frequent. Warm peanut butter cup cookies, all I have to say...

where is the one in pawtucket?

Looks like Citron may be joining the outdoor dining set soon.

2006-0627-citron.jpg

This is the old Brewed Awakenings site in Union Station Plaza in case you can't tell.

PS: I'm in love with their giant sign, I hope it lights up.

Wow, I thought that photo was of another city until I saw the G-Tech building. It shows how when I see large, attractive, modern signage, the first thing I think of is, "This can't be Providence!"

- Garris

Wow, I thought that photo was of another city until I saw the G-Tech building. It shows how when I see large, attractive, modern signage, the first thing I think of is, "This can't be Providence!"

Isn't that sign awesome? I was walking from Waterplace and I looked up and saw that and had to dig out my camera.

Here's the other side. Personally I would have put this off center to the right of the door.

2006-0627-citron002.jpg

I wonder if they're allowed to paint the doors, that red doesn't go with the orange, it'd be cool if they could paint them lime or cobalt or cobalt or bright yellow or something.

Isn't that sign awesome? I was walking from Waterplace and I looked up and saw that and had to dig out my camera.

Here's the other side. Personally I would have put this off center to the right of the door.

2006-0627-citron002.jpg

I wonder if they're allowed to paint the doors, that red doesn't go with the orange, it'd be cool if they could paint them lime or cobalt or cobalt or bright yellow or something.

lime or bright yellow would go great with the "citrus" sounding name.

Whats the story with this place? Do we know anything about them?

Citron is John Elkay/Rick and Cheryl Bready's latest project. (They are the owners of XO, Ten and Big Fish.) The planned concept is a mid-scale place that offers local and regional produce and meat.

i loved brewed awakenings. :angry:

I did too, though the service in the morning could be painfully slow at times. There's not a really good local, non-chain alternative Downcity for take away coffee. Tazza's not really a grab-and-go place, and Koffee King isn't really good, sorry to say.

I've been getting coffee at Cafe Chocolad at North Main and Thomas Streets quite a bit lately, their coffee is very good, but being across the river I don't count them as Downcity.

- Garris

If only they made it a little more 3-dimensional...it would be perfect.....and how about a rotating bright neon sign on Memorial Boulevard with all the restaurants in that row highlighted for all the world to see... :w00t:

i loved brewed awakenings. :angry:

I did too. I wonder if once a lot of the major projects in the city start to take shape, we'll see some of these failed businesses make another go of it (such as Brewed Awakenings, Box Lunch, Spoodles, etc.).

Archived