Restaurants with Outdoor Seating

matt

I did too. I wonder if once a lot of the major projects in the city start to take shape, we'll see some of these failed businesses make another go of it (such as Brewed Awakenings, Box Lunch, Spoodles, etc.).

It's a nice sentiment, but I doubt it. I can't can't think of a single business I know of that went out of business but later came back. That would be a tough small business loan to get I would imagine, "Ok, yeah I couldn't cut it last time, but the area has gotten much better, trust me!"

- Garris

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nice sentiment, but I doubt it. I can't can't think of a single business I know of that went out of business but later came back. That would be a tough small business loan to get I would imagine, "Ok, yeah I couldn't cut it last time, but the area has gotten much better, trust me!"

- Garris

did brewed awakenings go under or was it forced out? i think the one in Johnson does ok still, but i haven't been out there in a billion years.

did brewed awakenings go under or was it forced out? i think the one in Johnson does ok still, but i haven't been out there in a billion years.

the one in johnston does a pretty good job. i go by it every now and then and i've gone there with a friend, they were fairly busy. i was surprised when i found out they closed the one here... isn't there also one in the south county commons?

Went under. I think the rent was too much, which makes sense because that space was is really huge, for a coffee shop anyway. Did anyone ever go at night? They had desserts and drinks, I wonder how crowded it got.

This is my Wayland Sq list:

Starbucks: Probably the Square's best outdoor dining area...

Wayland Deli: At the intersection of S. Angell, Angell, and Wayland there are a few tables...

Haruki East: Has several very busy/popular outdoor tables...

Red Stripe: While not outdoor per se, they have their large windows in front open/removed...

Coffee Edge: Has several nice tables outside right now...

Izzy's Market Cafe: New Kosher takeout/lunch place shares outdoor tables with the neighboring Butcher Store (these are the ones on Elmsgrove you mentioned)...

:D

- Garris

You can add La Laiterie At Farmstead to the Wayland Square list. They had two tables on the sidewalk when I was there Saturday night.

you know in PVD you need a special permit or a zoning thingy to have tables on sidewalks and they are impossible to get. I suppose everyone is just doing it regardless (which is fine with me--i think its a no brainer) but i remember when julians and nicks kept getting bugged about it by inspections and standards...

Speaking of Wayland square

Red Stripe: I have seen people eating at the tables on the sidewalk. I guess they are not just for people to sit while waiting for an inside table.

South Main St.

If youare willing to redefine a meal to be desert and drinks... L'Elizabeth has our door seating

If you want a cafe try the Cable Car

Parkside is serving food at their sidewalk tables.

Parkside is serving food at their sidewalk tables.

I've eaten outside there. It's a very nice place to enjoy a meal a warm evening. One would think the traffic on South Main would be a distraction, but the view across the park to the river is the main focus.

Last weekend, people were pulling chairs outside from the Wild Colonial and hanging out outside. I wonder if there are any plans to get rid of that surface parking lot. If the city is focusing so much attention on that Waterfront area they should put something in that spot. Not a building that would block the view of the water but rather a park or a shared outdoor space with all the restaurants there.

Last weekend, people were pulling chairs outside from the Wild Colonial and hanging out outside. I wonder if there are any plans to get rid of that surface parking lot. If the city is focusing so much attention on that Waterfront area they should put something in that spot. Not a building that would block the view of the water but rather a park or a shared outdoor space with all the restaurants there.

That parking lot is owned by RISD I believe, same as the building that the WC is in.

I agree, its a great idea to get rid of it, or even make it smaller and build some outdoor cafe type space for the WC.

That parking lot is owned by RISD I believe, same as the building that the WC is in.

Yes, that lot and much of South Main is owned by RISD. The long term plan is to devlop that area as a southern campus (though the ground floors of the buildings are promised to remain retail, RISD would occupy the upper floors as space is needed). However with the Chace Center in progress and the school's current budget situation, don't expect any development down there for probably at least 5 years.

Neath's is there. What else? Does the WC actually serve any food? I've never seen even a pub menu there.

What would really be a boost for that area is if South Water St. went away and they made South Main a two way road, but I don't think it would be enough to support the traffic through there. Even now it feels kind of desolate on that side of the river. Maybe after the 195 relo it will be more vibrant.

Neath's is there. What else? Does the WC actually serve any food? I've never seen even a pub menu there.

What would really be a boost for that area is if South Water St. went away and they made South Main a two way road, but I don't think it would be enough to support the traffic through there. Even now it feels kind of desolate on that side of the river. Maybe after the 195 relo it will be more vibrant.

Ont he other side of Neath's is Fahrenheit and Barnsiders.

The WC does serve food, though I hardly see any being ordered...

http://home.earthlink.net/~wildcolonial/

Ont he other side of Neath's is Fahrenheit and Barnsiders.

they already have their own areas though and I doubt the restaurants would want to cart stuff from their kitchens all the way over to where this parking lot is.

I just got back from Thayer Street after trying several times to sit down at an outdoor restaurant table with a dog that I am dogsitting this week. Places like Johnny Rockets and Roba Dolce have not bothered pet owners in the past, as i have seen people at their tables with dogs before, but today I tried to sit at Spats and was promptly told to leave or get rid of the dog and Paragon also refused to seat us outside with the dog. (She's a tiny little hairless chinese crested btw) I ended up driving her home as quickly as I could while my friends delayed ordering to wait for me.

I simply didnt expect that the restaurants had that much say over their outdoor tables. Granted they own the tables, but they are still outside on a public sidewalk. I'm interested to see what opinions others have about this?

I just got back from Thayer Street after trying several times to sit down at an outdoor restaurant table with a dog that I am dogsitting this week. Places like Johnny Rockets and Roba Dolce have not bothered pet owners in the past, as i have seen people at their tables with dogs before, but today I tried to sit at Spats and was promptly told to leave or get rid of the dog and Paragon also refused to seat us outside with the dog. (She's a tiny little hairless chinese crested btw) I ended up driving her home as quickly as I could while my friends delayed ordering to wait for me.

I simply didnt expect that the restaurants had that much say over their outdoor tables. Granted they own the tables, but they are still outside on a public sidewalk. I'm interested to see what opinions others have about this?

while i've never sat outside at a restaurant and had someone try to sit with a dog, i'ev seen people with dogs laying calmly under teh table while they ate or drank and chatted. and these were good-sized dogs (think along the size of a lab or a golden retriever). i just assumed it was fine to do... maybe they thought your dog was ugly and would scare off customers (isn't the world's ugliest dog a crested chinese hairless?)

while i've never sat outside at a restaurant and had someone try to sit with a dog, i'ev seen people with dogs laying calmly under teh table while they ate or drank and chatted. and these were good-sized dogs (think along the size of a lab or a golden retriever). i just assumed it was fine to do... maybe they thought your dog was ugly and would scare off customers (isn't the world's ugliest dog a crested chinese hairless?)

haha, yes, but Krystal is one of the cuter ones and with her shirt on she isn't quite that ugly...

I agree, I had seen people with big dogs resting under tables with no problems before, this incident was surprising to me...

maybe they thought your dog was ugly and would scare off customers (isn't the world's ugliest dog a crested chinese hairless?)

That was my first thought. If I were eating and saw one of those things I'd complain to the manager. :lol:

I used to go to Sunday brunch at Paragon all the time with my lover and our pug and sit outside.That wasn't all that long ago but it was a puppy and everybody knows pug puppies are adorable. I second the ugly dog guess. :lol:

• 8 months later...

Archived