Restaurants with Outdoor Seating

matt

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that the ProJo sucks and are completely lame to bring this up, the real problem is that once again, RI has a stupid archaic law that is designed from it's heart to be subject to payola and favoritism. Because it is so stupid, the actual people doing the work ignore the legislation and allow people their permits without following the letter of the law.

All the ProJo did was get a judge to remind people that they have to follow the law.

Nevermind the fact that this law probably came into effect from people whining to their city councillors about noise, so instead of asking the police to actually enforce the noise violations, they come up with another level of annoying bureaucracy.

Point of the story, if we had a better legislature, this stupid crap wouldn't be such a problem. The law is completely ridiculous.

(disclaimer: I sick and only half-lucid, so if I read the article wrong I still believe what I am saying but may have the facts wrong :whistling: )

I re-read based on Jim's interpretation, so I was wrong, but now I'm more angry.

The newspaper won a hearing in front of the state Department of Business Regulation, with the result being that Providence must advertise these summer license applications, notify all abutters within 200 feet of the applicant, and then hold hearings to allow neighbors the

right to object.

in order for there to be a change in zoning in Providence, there needs to be a public hearing and abutters within 200 ft notified at the applicants' cost. The Journal argued successfully that a temporary, seasonal permit for outdoor seating is, indeed, a zoning CHANGE even if temporary, and therefore all the rules must apply.

Now, mind you, most restaurants and bars that have outdoor seating have it in complete violation of zoning--having never gotten the temporary permit ever, so it will be interesting to see if any of those places get slapped down this spring as folks start to want to be outside.

in order for there to be a change in zoning in Providence, there needs to be a public hearing and abutters within 200 ft notified at the applicants' cost. The Journal argued successfully that a temporary, seasonal permit for outdoor seating is, indeed, a zoning CHANGE even if temporary, and therefore all the rules must apply.

Now, mind you, most restaurants and bars that have outdoor seating have it in complete violation of zoning--having never gotten the temporary permit ever, so it will be interesting to see if any of those places get slapped down this spring as folks start to want to be outside.

Well that was my first thought, does anyone even have a permit, I think not. There's actually some permits I'd like to see revoked, the sidewalks on Atwells are not wide enough for most outdoor dining. I'm fine to have it, but you can't have the whole sidewalk for your tables, valet sign, valet stand, oblivious people standing in the street... If the sidewalk is only big enough for tables for two, don't put out tables for 4, and I swear I'm going to take the table outside Meditteraneo that buts up against the light post blocking the whole sidewalk, go ahead, put a hit out on me. As it is now I just make a big production of squeezing through while people are trying to eat their overpriced gnocchi.

i think the places that want outdoor dining should have their licenses amended to allow for it year 'round. that way they can have one meeting about it and get it over with. no need to re-apply every year. places that have block parties and 1 time events or a couple weekends a year can get the temporary permits.

i think the places that want outdoor dining should have their licenses amended to allow for it year 'round. that way they can have one meeting about it and get it over with. no need to re-apply every year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived