IN PROGRESS: Rau Fastener | Westfield Lofts

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its really a great project thats coming along nicely...

I am most struck by the difference brick restoration makes...wow!

(though the head mason takes up half of Sprague Street with his fatass ugly Hummer most days...but I digress)

I don't know why but I really like the look of that building. I love gentrification affordable housing projects, since they don't overinflate the costs of living in the neighborhood and push lower income people out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those buildings usually look awesome once they're cleaned up.

There's yet another mill project in the works that's not going to be luxury condos, this time in South Providence on Gordon St. The propery in question is the former Beaman and Smith, later Federated Lithography. It will be a community health center as well as office space.

http://www.provplan.org/pps/detail.asp?UID=BSM2

Good to see some investment in this side of town that doesn't just involve demolishing buildings and slumlording. I think this area is really overlooked, I remember driving down Broad Street late on a Sunday night last year and I was amazed at how lively it was, street vendors, clubs spilling out onto the sidewalk and just alot of people out having a good time. Too bad its high crime rate gives it such a bad name.

Here's my photos of the project: http://www.artinruins.com/arch/redevelop/raufastner/

I was amazed by how nice it is going to be. You here "low income" or "affordable" and you kinda think "not as nice", but the units are really cool with exposed brick and tiled bathrooms and individual heating units and high ceilings... they are really cool. And it's something I could potentially afford, if I rented out the aprtment I live in now. And the upper units have a great view of the Armory. The courtyard is nice as well, with a meeting and day care center.

Good for them.

• 7 months later...

Archived