Which southern metro will reach 1 million first?

krazeeboi

Which one of these southeastern metros will reach one million inhabitants the fastest?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these southeastern metros will reach one million inhabitants the fastest?

• Augusta-Richmond County, GA
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Charleston-North Charleston, SC
    • Columbia, SC
    • El Paso, TX
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Lexington-Fayette County, KY
    • Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice, FL

Just some food for thought...if you look at the CMSA's of these cities, it changes the picture a little bit.  The fastest growing county in Knoxville's MSA in the 90's was designated a micropolitan county and taken out of the MSA, but it remains in Knoxville's CMSA (Sevier county, you know, Gatlinburg?).  If Knoxville continues to grow out, some of these places may be reabsorbed into the metro.

59 Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette, TN 817,867 (CMSA)

60 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Pine Bluff, AR 813,160 (CMSA)

63 Baton Rouge-Pierre Part, LA 751,965 (CMSA)

67 Columbia-Newberry, SC 716,665 (CMSA)

68 El Paso, TX 713,126 (MSA)

72 Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice, FL 651,862 (MSA)

76 Lexington-Fayette-Frankfort-Richmond, KY 627,825 (CMSA)

80 Charleston-North Charleston, SC 583,434 (MSA)

93 Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC 515,314 (MSA)

I think cities like Knoxville, Little Rock, and Columbia are "more established" than some of the other cities on the list (Sarasota, Lexington, Augusta), so I think it's more likely that they could have sudden growth spurts that push them over the top (Knoxville and Little Rock are less than 200k away!)...jmo, of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a very interesting observation. The problem is, that Knoxville's growth (west) is moving away from Servier County. However, if the City starts growing more South (which is beggining to happen throughout Louisville and Maryville) Servierville's growth and Knoxville's growth could easily merge. Gatlinberg's and Pigion Forge's growth rate is outragious!

Anyway, all in all, Knoxville's metropoliton area is the largest on the list and will easily hit a million very soon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, all in all, Knoxville's metropoliton area is the largest on the list and will easily hit a million very soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nahvol85's post that you quoted lists combined statistical areas and not metropolitan statistical areas (refer to post #4 in this thread for that listing). Apparently Sevierville and La Follette are independent micropolitan statistical areas having significant employment interchange with the Knoxville area (hence the CSA designation). Baton Rouge is the largest metropolitan statistical area of the ones under discussion here; Knoxville falls roughly in the middle at #5.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget that 1 million mark is Greenville's CSA not MSA. Even with that SC's other metros Columbia and Charleston still aren't too far behind. The CSA number for Columbia is over 700K, and Charleston's well is a little less at around the same number as the MSA with 580K. However Charleston is the fastest growing large MSA (500K+) in the state, according to the census anyway, followed by Columbia, then by Greenville (SC Metro Statistics). Greenville's MSA or Metro is only around 580K. I think the question was refering to metro population usually that means MSA but I could be wrong? But in the case of CSA then yeah Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson has the largest number?

With that being said this is usually the time when Columbia is posted as only being a "college town", or it "won't grow as large as CLT", or Richland County doesn't have the "largest population", etc, etc...... ^_^

But anyway according to some "actual numbers crunching" done on another site and not just "speculation" believe it or not Columbia is poised to be the first on the list to hit 1million around 2030. Sarasota wasn't included in that analysis, but I think hands down it would be the first, its growth rate is pretty steep.

I voted for Sarasota as well. Given the explosive growth in Florida lately, I'd bet it's metro pop is already over 1M. Also, Sarasota will not merge w/Tampa. Reason being, the Tampa metro area already includes St. Petersburg and Clearwater. Also, Sarasota is too far south from Tampa metro to be included and their metro area already includes Bradenton down to Venice.

Sooner or later, it seens that Miami, Sarasota-Bradento-Venice, Ft. Myers, Tampa-St. Pete, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Titusville, Melbourne, Lakeland-Winter Haven, Ft. Pierce and any other Metro on the Peninsula of FL will just become one big megalopolis.

Sooner or later, it seens that Miami, Sarasota-Bradento-Venice, Ft. Myers, Tampa-St. Pete, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Titusville, Melbourne, Lakeland-Winter Haven, Ft. Pierce and any other Metro on the Peninsula of FL will just become one big megalopolis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Said! I couldn't agree with you more! Too much sprawl...everyone needs to go somewhere else! FLA should post a sign at the state's border; "No Vacancy"!

I see the possibility of Columbia getting to 1 million, but with the current growth rate of my hometown's MSA and the considerable momentum it's getting from new employment centers such as Verizon, the new Vought airplane plant, and a good possibility of getting the new EADS aircraft plant, I voted for my hometown. Many more people want to live on or near the coast or a body of water, and Charleston has many locations for this. The completion of the new Cooper River bridge is going to be another catalyst as the Southeast's "Golden Gate" and more businesses will want to have the pristine location. There is even a possibility of Colleton County being added to the MSA...granted, not a ton of people to add, but it will help Charleston break the 1 million mark.

I see the possibility of Columbia getting to 1 million, but with the current growth rate of my hometown's MSA and the considerable momentum it's getting from new employment centers such as Verizon, the new Vought airplane plant, and a good possibility of getting the new EADS aircraft plant, I voted for my hometown. Many more people want to live on or near the coast or a body of water, and Charleston has many locations for this. The completion of the new Cooper River bridge is going to be another catalyst as the Southeast's "Golden Gate" and more businesses will want to have the pristine location. There is even a possibility of Colleton County being added to the MSA...granted, not a ton of people to add, but it will help Charleston break the 1 million mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems as though Charleston is already at the 1 million mark.

It seems as though Charleston is already at the 1 million mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh heh, I know what you mean...with all the people moving there! :D But Charleston still has a way to go with 590K by the end of this year. Charleston MSA will definitely get to 600K by 2010, so 1 million is a very good possibility. I just can't make a prediction of when it will get there.

• 2 weeks later...

You left Fort Myers-Cape Coral off the list. By itself it's a little smaller than the other areas but growing faster than any of them. However, if you add nearby Collier Co to it as it expected to happen soon then it is near 700,000 in population already. It also was named the nation's fastest growing economy this year.

That said, this aside I would definitely say Sarasota. That place is a boomtown.

I've gotta go with Ft.Myers/Cape Coral also. I lived in Naples last summer and I truly believe its only a matter of time before Collier County is considered part of the Ft.Myers MSA. Downtown Naples to downtown Ft.Myers is only a 30-45 minute drive, and you can barely tell where one ends and the next begins. Both of these cities are growing at a rediculous pace.

• 1 month later...

My hometown has reached boomtown status, IMO. After witnessing celebration of the new Cooper River bridge opening and the continued increase in new developments and projects, Charleston might hit 1 million by 2020. They're already saying that the city itself might have 200,000-300,000 people by 2015. That is overwhelming!

But cool by me! :thumbsup:

My hometown has reached boomtown status, IMO. After witnessing celebration of the new Cooper River bridge opening and the continued increase in new developments and projects, Charleston might hit 1 million by 2020. They're already saying that the city itself might have 200,000-300,000 people by 2015. That is overwhelming!

But cool by me!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not doubt it. I just got back from there this weekend. I went to Folly beach, and then went across the New Cooper River Bridge. What an awesome bridge :thumbsup: It is an incredible feat of superior architecture. BTW, it was hot as HELL there this weekend. :w00t:

A2

I would not doubt it. I just got back from there this weekend. I went to Folly beach, and then went across the New Cooper River Bridge. What an awesome bridge  :thumbsup: It is an incredible feat of superior architecture. BTW, it was hot as HELL there this weekend.  :w00t:

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you there. It's been hot as hell throughout this whole state! And at least Charleston has a seabreeze to help cool things a bit. Columbia doesn't have that advantage... :lol:

Isn't the bridge incredible?!?! :D I will be seeing it up close for the first time this weekend. My new wife and I will drive across it and hopefully walk on it, too!

But cool by me!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Charleston will hit 1 million mark before 2020

Archived