22 (twin) story towers - Condos

17 story - Hotel

17 story - Timeshares/Condos

16 story - Condos

15 story - Hotel

12 story - Condos

11 story- Hotel

10 story - Timeshares/Condos

WOW! How did you run across all this information, what was your source?? -just curious :-)

(I usually just go to mysa.com and sanantonio.gov)

Let me revise the list.

The twin condo highrise project in the Sunset Area is actually going to be 25 floors (with 3-4 story townhomes adjacent to both towers) not 22 stories and the Starbridge Hotel (also in the Sunset Area) will be 13 stories not 15.

33 story - Hotel

25 (twin) story towers - Condos

17 story - Hotel

16 story - Condos

13 story - Hotel

12 story - Condos

11 story- Hotel

Let me revise the list.

The twin condo highrise project in the Sunset Area is actually going to be 25 floors (with 3-4 story townhomes adjacent to both towers) not 22 stories and the Starbridge Hotel (also in the Sunset Area) will be 13 stories not 15.

33 story - Hotel

25 (twin) story towers - Condos

17 story - Hotel

16 story - Condos

13 story - Hotel

12 story - Condos

11 story- Hotel

So, do you know what building they are going to be called ? Like the Mariott, Frost bank, etc. ?

Renovations to the Marriott Plaza have been completed.

McLean, Va.-based Crestline, the property management company hired by the hotel's owner Highland Hospitality Corp. (NYSE: HIH), refurbished all 251 guest rooms and suites, the lobby, public spaces, restaurant and bar.

San Antonio Business Journal: Marriott Plaza caps off $5 million River Walk hotel renovation

• 2 weeks later...

The developers who are building the Drury Plaza and rennovating the Aztec Theater have recently bought more buildings in the area.

The Aztec, built in 1926, will reopen in February with its colorful pre-Columbian style architecture fully restored and shows in the lobby and big-screen theater. Drury Southwest plans to open the Drury Plaza, the chain's flagship hotel, by September.

-Post Oak Properties will try to turn the 3-story Alamo Fish Building into a 10-12 story condominium building while preserving the historic exterior.

-Post Oak also aquired the 3-story Whitte Building; the upper floors will be turned into a private residence.

-Drury Southwest Inc. has purchased the 10-story Travis Building. They are still trying to determine what to do with this property, it could be rennovated into a hotel or a condo/apartment building.

-Also, mentioned on an earlier post, the Finvarb Group has bought the St. Mary's School which will be torn down and replaced with a 17-story, 220-room Courtyard by Marriott.

San Antonio Express-News: Developers grabbing up downtown properties

• 4 weeks later...

SA Mayor Phil Hardberger has a plan that would open up Main Plaza by removing the four streets that box it in.

One of the major components of the plan is creating a grassy slope from the plaza down to the San Antonio River that would draw tourist up from the RiverWalk up to business around the plaza. Some people are concerned about the traffic tie-ups that could be created by removing portions of Main, Main Plaza, Dolorosa, and Commerce streets. Planners say they can be overcome by adjusting traffic lights and removing on street parking on some streets.

112405main.plaza.gif

The Mayor's plan to close off the four streets surrounding Main Plaza is meeting some opposition.

Hardberger's proposal would roughly double the plaza's size, creating an oasis on downtown's busy west end. It calls for planting more trees, building a new fountain, replacing the existing one and creating a grassy slope between the plaza and the San Antonio River channel.

As presented, the project could cost up to $10 million. County Judge Nelson Wolff has said the county could cover a portion of the expense, but Adkisson said he would oppose any funding if the project included street closures.

Adkisson said rerouting traffic from any of the four streets would be too much of a nuisance for people who work downtown and could further damage downtown's standing as a destination.

San Antonio Express-News: Main Plaza proposal hits roadblock

• 4 weeks later...

Is Landry's Ruining the Riverwalk?

Landry's Restaurants is slowly advancing on the Riverwalk. The proliferation of chain establishments threatens the unique character of the Riverwalk. I know these places can't all be cute and quaint, but seeing the vriverbanks filled with chain operations like any other mall is a bit depressing. Can't this be held in check?

Article from the Houston Chronicle/Hotel-Online

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is some news about the convention center and some more developement along houston street Condo/Hotel.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/sto...l.1d09599c.html

Seems odd that they are still working on the design of the Hyatt Grand when it broke ground 11 months ago. Do anyone know how far construction has progressed. It would seem that they would be far enough along by now that the only design elements that they could change are exterior panels.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems odd that they are still working on the design of the Hyatt Grand when it broke ground 11 months ago. Do anyone know how far construction has progressed. It would seem that they would be far enough along by now that the only design elements that they could change are exterior panels.

I really dont understand why the San Antonio Historic and Design Review Commission is changing their mind again about the Grand Hyatt. I think it was already watered down from it original high rise twin tower like structures to a much more lowered traditional hotel floorplan. And now their still not happy? I want to call them myself and ask them what apects about the design dont exactly fit into the ambiance of the down town metropolatian area and would like to know in some very good analysing details as to why it should be rethought....

I think the rendering look completely fine

http://www.faulknerusa.com/home.html

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that marriott bought the Crown PlazaHotel and next month it will become offical. Does anyone know this for sure if this is true???

I haven't heard that yet, but it would be interesting. I'd hope they could do more to erase the cheap office tower appearance which still lingers from its days as the Adam's Mark. I could see it fitting into the Renaissance portfolio very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Austin new high rise development downtown is really putting San Antonio to shame. I don't think a major non hotel has been built in San antonio for decades other than the Weston Bldg.

I think your kinda right... but there is some development down town. The Grand Hyatt is underway even though a hotel it will have high-end residental condos and so will the Vidorra, which is scheduled for ground breaking very soon...the high rise towers should be a nice touch in the sunset station area, those are to be around 22 stories high. I know it's not NY heights, but it will certainly make a difference here and be noticed nonetheless. Just drive down Market St. toward I-37 and you'll see what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the final design for the Grand Hyatt Hotel and Riverwalk Residences.

hyattgrandsazu4.jpg

This is an editorial from a critic for the Express-News commenting on the bland design of what could have been a signature building for San Antonio.

Indeed, the original concept for this building, as it appeared in a rendering released in late 2004, promised an iconic contemporary presence, formally conservative but playful in its gestures and bold in its use of color.

Almost nothing of that concept is discernible in the final design, which falls well below par for both architecture firms, and especially for the local firm's Stephen Land Tillotson, a thoughtful, conscientious and lyrical designer.

Review: Grand Hyatt's final design is notably lacking in flair

Archived