Thinking of Moving to Norfolk?

geg5150

Hi y'all,

It looks like it's official...my boyfriend and I are moving to Norfolk. He'll be attending EVMS and I'll be hoping for a great job. We've only been to Norfolk once, for his interview and didn't get to spend alot of time looking at apartments. I'd love a little guidance from the pros.

We're 31 and 34, not your typical college student. Moving from Phoenix (won't miss that heat!). Socially liberal, college educated, love a great meal out and a nice bar for cocktails. Not so much into clubbing or crazy stuff. Much prefer orignial things -- no chains, big corporate boxes, etc. We'd love a place with character, something older, hardwood floors, etc.

When in Norfolk, we hit, and loved, the brand new Ghent wine bar right across from EVMS, we were there on the opening day and didn't even know it. Really enjoyed crackers and Charlie's (great greasy spoon breakfast!)

The people that we met were really nice and helpful, which is a good sign!

So, of course, our preference is to live in Ghent. I absolutely fell in love with that part of town. Can you please give any advice on resources for finding a rental property in that area. I'd prefer not to be in a big complex, maybe a smaller unit of 6-10 apts. We do have cats, so need to bring them with us.

Thank you so much in advance, we're really looking forward to the move.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi y'all,

It looks like it's official...my boyfriend and I are moving to Norfolk.  He'll be attending EVMS and I'll be hoping for a great job.  We've only been to Norfolk once, for his interview and didn't get to spend alot of time looking at apartments.  I'd love a little guidance from the pros.

We're 31 and 34, not your typical college student.  Moving from Phoenix (won't miss that heat!).  Socially liberal, college educated, love a great meal out and a nice bar for cocktails.  Not so much into clubbing or crazy stuff.  Much prefer orignial things -- no chains, big corporate boxes, etc.  We'd love a place with character, something older, hardwood floors, etc.

When in Norfolk, we hit, and loved, the brand new Ghent wine bar right across from EVMS, we were there on the opening day and didn't even know it.  Really enjoyed crackers and Charlie's (great greasy spoon breakfast!)

The people that we met were really nice and helpful, which is a good sign!

So, of course, our preference is to live in Ghent.  I absolutely fell in love with that part of town.  Can you please give any advice on resources for finding a rental property in that area.  I'd prefer not to be in a big complex, maybe a smaller unit of 6-10 apts.  We do have cats, so need to bring them with us.

Thank you so much in advance, we're really looking forward to the move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi geg. I hope you'll have a pleasant move. When I searched for apartments in Norfolk I simply walked around the neighborhood I wanted to live in and called the phone numbers posted on the building facades. I know many of the smaller buildings in Ghent have phone numbers by the door. Being that you're not in the area presently that's not an easy option. I would google apartment listings or try craigslist (though the Norfolk craigslist isn't too populated). Good luck!

Most of us are at least in our mid 20's and trying to go to college part time , I'm 29, so you should feel at home. There are alot of houses and apartments right across from EVMS. Go to www.hamptonroads.com and there is an apartment section so you can look around and get some numbers to call.

Socially liberal? Be prepared to spend 95% of your time in Ghent, lol...

Anyway a lot of the apartments in Ghent are owner-owned (not big companies) and they usually have signs outside. BUT... there is a company at "www.cavalierland.com" that has a lot of listings in Ghent with pix and prices. Most of what they have is older buildings ... just up your alley. The paper tends to send you to this site called apartments.com that has some cheesy stuff on the fringes of Ghent (Ghent on the Square for example).

Ghent extends across Hampton Blvd into what is called "West Ghent". You can find a lot of cool places over there as well.

(oops misspelled the link! should work now)

I would like to welcome you to Norfolk. You will surely love it here.

If you're looking for a safe, urban, pedestrian friendly neighborhood, Ghent, Freemason, or downtown would be your best bet. Also, take a look at downtown Portsmouth, it is also very urban and pedestrian friendly, it has easy access to Norfolk's CBD by way of paddlewheel ferry. Here's the website for ferry information. Ferry info.

Ferry Map

In addition to regular city busses, downtown Norfolk is serviced by NET Norfolk Electric Transit, which is a free electric shuttle bus for the CBD.

Socially liberal, college educated, love a great meal out and a nice bar for cocktails.  Not so much into clubbing or crazy stuff.  Much prefer orignial things -- no chains, big corporate boxes, etc.  We'd love a place with character, something older, hardwood floors, etc.
Ghent, Freemason, downtown Norfolk, downtown Portsmouth would fit the bill.

Wow! Thank y'all so much for the quick feedback! Keep it comin'

I did forget to mention the minor issue that we're 90% sure that we won't be back in Norfolk before the move, so it looks like we're renting a place over the phone/online. I did manage to come across cavalierland last night and yes, it's right up our alley.

I appreciate all of your assistance!

Gayle

Hi! Yes, I'm originally from Louisiana, but I've lived in Phoenix for 9 years. I'm sure there's a big debate on whether or not Virginia is, in fact, "southern". I"m not about to touch that one, but suffice it to say that Louisiana is the "deep south" and it's different that VA. However, VA is alot more like home that Phoenix is.

My boyfriend is from Chicago, lived in Los Angeles for years and Norfolk is small town for him. It'll be an adjustment for both of us moving from the 5th larges city in the US to Norfolk, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Willy, thank you so much for the great links for rentals. They'll be a huge help! I'm really getting excited.

If anyone else happens to come across any great rentals, keep me in mind.

Have a great day, y'all!

Gayle

My boyfriend is from Chicago, lived in Los Angeles for years and Norfolk is small town for him.  It'll be an adjustment for both of us moving from the 5th larges city in the US to Norfolk, but I'm really looking forward to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you're moving from the 14th largest UA in the country to the 27th. Not TOO bad of a dip. :)

I am originally from NC and I believe there is a big difference in NC and Va despite them being side by side. Of course since the military is here it makes it all the more pronounced. Yeah, Va is the south but not the south as some know it and I think it is the gateway to the north, if you will. But, I don't hear that many 'yalls' around here for sure lol.

rusthebus,

He's actually participating in the Surgical Assistant program, which is only 2 years. It's one of one three accredited programs in the country and the only one associated with a med school. It's a brand new program with new legislation, so that's why we're leaving AZ.

Gayle

Thanks for all of the information that y'all gave to me about moving to Norfolk. I need a little more info about different neighborhoods. Looking on line, I've found properties that look great.

Can you give me the scoop on:

Pamlico -- appears to be cap cods built in the 1940s and 50s

Colonial Place -- super cute little ranch with a new kitchen

Pinewell

and other, as I think of them, I'll post them.

Thanks y'all!

Gayle

Can you give me the scoop on:

Pamlico -- appears to be cap cods built in the 1940s and 50s

Colonial Place -- super cute little ranch with a new kitchen

Pinewell

and other, as I think of them, I'll post them.

Thanks y'all!

Gayle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pamlico? I think that area is in zip 23513 and would be a "must avoid" area. Very blue collar and quite run down. Most of the Cape Cod houses here are in a suburban setting and not located within walking distance to stores, etc. The neighborhoods where they sit are not very trendy or walkable.

Colonial Place is very cool. Lots of old houses, cheaper than Ghent but then that is because you have to drive everywhere from there. Stay north of Virginia Ave. DO NOT get tempted by something on a numbered street (i.e. 38th Street). It is bordered on the south by Park Place which has a (well deserved) terrible reputation. This is the area you have to drive through to get to Ghent. After dark, the commercial zone of Riverview is pretty much abandoned (and is quite a hike from Colonial Place).

If you like the beach, Pinewell is close, Bay View is as well. Watch out though because the areas here go from nice to slum in a very short period of time.

Just a rule of thumb, look on mapquest and try to stay on the "west" side of Norfolk (west of Granby Street). The areas that you may want to concentrate on are: Ghent, West Ghent, East Ghent, Colonial Place, Freemason, Downtown and (maybe) Larchmont. Many of the other areas that look appealing won't be so nice when you get here.

Stay away from the east side with zip codes like 23513, 23505, 23504 etc. Ocean View is a no-go zone unless you live on the bay side of Ocean View Avenue. Even then, it has a long way to go and unless you want to see prostitutes, drug dealers and just slummy surroundings in general on your way to anywhere, you'd be better off avoiding OV for the next few years lol... And don't get duped into moving to Lafayette/Winona area either. Some sections look OK but it is surrounded by very rough areas. Also it has no decent commercial area nearby.

Archived