Thinking of Moving to Norfolk?

geg5150

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with the 23513 area, i grew up in that area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm I knew someone would be from the areas I was slamming, sorry.

I don't think that there is anything particularly "wrong" with these areas in general. From what she described she was looking for, I do not think that these areas will be a good fit at all. The East Side of Norfolk is very suburban (40's & 50's suburban) and can be very dicey. It reminds me of the older NJ burbs of Philly. It's just very blue collar and the exact opposite of Ghent.

Norfolk should be trying to get some of these areas rejuvinated because they are in freefall (especially commercial areas like 5 Points, Lafayette-Tidewater intersection, Little Creek Road in general).

• 11 months later...

Hi y'all! Well, it's about 95% official...we're headed to Norfolk.

My boyfriend will be attending EVMS. We'll like to be there the end of June.

We're planning a whirlwind trip the beginning of June to secure a place to live.

We'll coming from Phoenix, so this will be quite a change.

Of course, we love Ghent and, ideally, that's where we'd like to live. We're looking to rent. Can you give any suggestions for buildings, resources, realtors, etc. Anything that would help.

We'd prefer to live in an older building. Something with some history and character.

Thanks so much!

Gayle

I've probably let this go on longer than I should, I'm glad we could be of assistance but we really aren't supposed to have threads searching for real estate/places to move on the site. Make a few (3) more posts and you'll be able to pm people to ask for specifics if you so need them. Nothing against you and I'm glad to have you here but I need to close this thread for now.

Forum Rules

padlock.gif

• 2 months later...

I have received clarification of the rules so i am reopening this thread. A thread like this is allowed so long as it is pinned to the top of the forum and there is only one. Please confine your questions about moving to our fair city to this thread only, thank you. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I live in Nashville, I'm 19 years old (turn 20 this year) and I have thought about moving for awhile so one night I just started thinking about all the things I wanted to be included in the city I would live in... Ocean... so far that has been the only thing I have thought about.

I was born in Florida, Port Saint Lucie... I miss it soooo much...

Right now I'm not in school but I have thought about moving to Norfolk (not immediately but possibly by next year)

Can anyone give me a quick overview of what Norfolk has to offer that Nashville doesnt?!

Thanks guys

Also if someone could roughly give me a guesstimate of what average rent a month would be there.. that would be awesome.

Hey all,

I live in Nashville, I'm 19 years old (turn 20 this year) and I have thought about moving for awhile so one night I just started thinking about all the things I wanted to be included in the city I would live in... Ocean... so far that has been the only thing I have thought about.

I was born in Florida, Port Saint Lucie... I miss it soooo much...

Right now I'm not in school but I have thought about moving to Norfolk (not immediately but possibly by next year)

Can anyone give me a quick overview of what Norfolk has to offer that Nashville doesnt?!

Thanks guys

Also if someone could roughly give me a guesstimate of what average rent a month would be there.. that would be awesome.

I will let someone that has been to Nashville comment on what things Norfolk has to offer but if you want to live in urban Norfolk here are two companies that have a lot of rental properties. Most of Cavalier's buildings are in Ghent and rather close to Old Dominion University if that's where you were looking to go to school.

http://www.cookeandneff.com/Rental%20List.html

http://www.cavalierland.com/rentals.html

one night I just started thinking about all the things I wanted to be included in the city I would live in... Ocean... so far that has been the only thing I have thought about.

Based on your brief post, it sounds like you haven't decided what you aspire to become (profession wise) in life. You first need to figure that out before deciding where to move, because that key decision should be the deciding factor over everything else. Beyond that, you also need to ask yourself what you NEED from a particular area and what you are willing to go without by living there. In helping with this decision think of 3 things you absolutely need. In your case, for instance, it sounds like you are in need of an ocean, a community college, and cheap rent. Everything else could be compromised.

If you're not sure what to do for a career, you can go to you local community college and ask for help. Many of them offer services designed to help potential students discover what they like, what they have an aptitude for, and what types of programmes (degree or certificate) that they are likely to finish. This can be an invaluable resource if you're unsure about what you want to do. And then there is the military, which can help with the financial aspects as well as giving you a direction and technical skills, just don't join the Army. :lol:

If you're looking for a place to bum around for a few years, don't, you'll regret it later, trust me. Finish your education, and then decide where you want to live. It's a lot easier that way.

i appreciate that glassoul... but no thanks. i don't plan on wasting my most valuable years of my life on books and worrying about money. i'm all into traveling. so thanks but no thanks... and don't get me started on the army (specially with bush in office.. no thank you)

are there any interesting districts in norfolk?

We in Nashville have...

West End (which is MidTown)

East Nashville/Five Points (basically Bohemia)

South Nashville (Lil Mexico/Lil Iraq) - where i live..

Green Hills,SoBro, The Gulch (urban neighbors ringing downtown)

and Downtown

i appreciate that glassoul... but no thanks. i don't plan on wasting my most valuable years of my life on books and worrying about money. i'm all into traveling. so thanks but no thanks... and don't get me started on the army (specially with bush in office.. no thank you)

are there any interesting districts in norfolk?

We in Nashville have...

West End (which is MidTown)

East Nashville/Five Points (basically Bohemia)

South Nashville (Lil Mexico/Lil Iraq) - where i live..

Green Hills,SoBro, The Gulch (urban neighbors ringing downtown)

and Downtown

I second Glassoul, get your degree, you will have plenty of time to travel and enjoy life. Heck I am 45 years old and been out of college for 23 years and I still feel that I have valuable years left.

Hip Norfolk Neighborhoods include:

Ghent

Freemason Harbor near Downtown

Granby St.

Increasingly Ocean View

• 2 months later...

Most of Cavalier's buildings are in Ghent and rather close to Old Dominion University if that's where you were looking to go to school.

http://www.cookeandneff.com/Rental%20List.html

http://www.cavalierland.com/rentals.html

This is some awesome information. I was curious if there are any other management companies that one would reference for someone looking to be around the Norfolk area.

Also, I was curious to learn more about Ghent in regards to the type of neighborhood it is, the types of people that live in the area, and issues of safety during the night?

Thanks

I will be in the area on tomorrow and would love some idea of places to visit in the ODU/Ghent vicinity.

-Cityhopper

This is some awesome information. I was curious if there are any other management companies that one would reference for someone looking to be around the Norfolk area.

Also, I was curious to learn more about Ghent in regards to the type of neighborhood it is, the types of people that live in the area, and issues of safety during the night?

Thanks

I will be in the area on tomorrow and would love some idea of places to visit in the ODU/Ghent vicinity.

-Cityhopper

I would avoid cavalier land if you can, I referred business to them and they proceeded to try to cheat my friends. I rent from them, and while they sometimes fix things, I cannot get over the fact that they tried to cheat my friends, and some other issues I've had with them. I don't understand them.

As far as cooke and neff, I originally looked at a property they were managing (411 Granby). Their sales person asked me to follow him thru the automated gate. He delayed, and my car ended up getting hit 4 times with the automated gate. They immediately said it wasn't their responsibility, and even to this day they never paid me for my insurance deductible.

Also, if you are looking at renting from a private individual, try to make sure they have owned the home more than 4 years. This should cut down on the chances of the landlord going into foreclosure.

• 3 years later...

Hey!

I've been searching for probably a week now, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if it just doesn't exist in Norfolk, but I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for an urban/warehouse/artist loft (whatever they're calling it these days) somewhere in Norfolk. I've seen quite a few places that were renovated and now have hardwood floors, exposed brick, etc. Those places look great, but my problem is that I really need a garage. Not just a public garage or a reserved space, but I need a garage for all my tools and multiple cars. In LA, there are a lot of artist lofts that have a large open floorplan with an industrial rollup door attached...any chance of something like that in the Norfolk area? Being close to downtown or ghent would be a plus, but the garage situation is more important.

If anybody has any tips or leads, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!

Hey!

I've been searching for probably a week now, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if it just doesn't exist in Norfolk, but I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for an urban/warehouse/artist loft (whatever they're calling it these days) somewhere in Norfolk. I've seen quite a few places that were renovated and now have hardwood floors, exposed brick, etc. Those places look great, but my problem is that I really need a garage. Not just a public garage or a reserved space, but I need a garage for all my tools and multiple cars. In LA, there are a lot of artist lofts that have a large open floorplan with an industrial rollup door attached...any chance of something like that in the Norfolk area? Being close to downtown or ghent would be a plus, but the garage situation is more important.

No chance bruh. Those types of buildings were destroyed decades ago and will probably not have what you are looking for in these parts.

Hey!

Brikkman is right. Your other choice is to contact a real estate agent to look for you. If anyone locally would know it would be an agent who does this for $. Thats the last resource to fiind out if you can get what your looking for. Hope you find it in the metro. If not, im sure you may find an alternative sir.

Hey!

Actually there are a few buildings around town that may interest you... Check the West Ghent area near the midtown tunnel entrance. Granby Street Cooridor between Brambleton and Princess Anne. Park Place 23rd-26th streets, and right on the outskirts of ODU around 45th street and Colley area.

Actually there are a few buildings around town that may interest you... Check the West Ghent area near the midtown tunnel entrance. Granby Street Cooridor between Brambleton and Princess Anne. Park Place 23rd-26th streets, and right on the outskirts of ODU around 45th street and Colley area.

Thank you, that's very helpful! I'll check those out!

I checked out all of those places on google street view...pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much on craigslist or hotpads. Maybe I'm not searching for the right terms...anybody know a better website that I can find these places? I'm currently living in Florida, so I can't drive around these areas just yet...

Thanks!

I checked out all of those places on google street view...pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much on craigslist or hotpads. Maybe I'm not searching for the right terms...anybody know a better website that I can find these places? I'm currently living in Florida, so I can't drive around these areas just yet...

Thanks!

Usually Craigslist is hit or miss. However, some of the local real estate agencies list rentals as well. Try williamewood.com and nancychandler.com...they've had decent listings in those areas.

Also, Cavalier Land (cavalierland.com) and Meredith Management (meredithmgmt.com) have quite a few rentals in the Ghent area.

I called nancychandler last week and the woman I spoke to was not interested in helping me at all. She told me she didn't have anything like what I described to you guys. I'll try the other places and give nancychandler another shot. Keep the websites coming, please! Thanks so much!!

Thanks!

Yeah, i know exactly what he is referring to, however, I think they are all slated to be destroyed by ODU. Heck, I would be interested in something like that too, but you wouldn't get any assistance from the local gov. turning the adjacent area around as well. I assume there are some near the tracks as well, 25th, etc... but they will be mixed in with active businesses using the wear houses, that is why I did not offer that up. If that isn't a concern, then maybe that's the are you need to look at. I always wanted an exposed brick building to live in. In fact, there is a nice one that use to be a autoparts place on princess anne road. One other place I can think of is monticello. I drove by it this morning, oddly shaped, but it has two garage doors with upstairs living space that could make for a very trendy spot.

Hey sorry for being slow to reply. I help run the hackerspace (Www.757labs.org) that is in downtown Norfolk. We haven't been killed by the light rail yet heh.

There is a building off of Hampton Blvd that has garages for cars, but I think the owner makes people enter into some really odd deal where they can rent out your car if they need to or something. One of our hackerspace members had space over there, and said he left the minute the new rules came around.

There is some flex buildings over in Ghent near Orapax restaurant. There is tons of it in Virginia Beach. It'd be kind of ironic if the college, trends and Realtors priced the hipsters out of Norfolk and they have to move to Virginia Beach.

There are some KILLER buildings, but they are held hostage. I was looking into one or two, and the owner or rep wanted like $700K for this building that hasn't been touched or used in ages. I'm not sure if it has HVAC, and the risk of loss of life starts to become a concern around it. If we could somehow get a building cheap, it'd be fun to build out a small datacenter and some other things that require heavy building modifications and such.

We don't have anything like the space needed to work on a car. We've got a small industrial room in the back of our lab where we have a laser engraver and some normal wood working tools. Working on building a CNC machine out of extruded aluminum profiles. I do have an advertisement fishing for a vertical mill with DRO on craigslist, but mainly fishing in case someone has one they need to get rid of ASAP.

There is lots of empty buildings around the area held hostage. With enough searching, you can get a deal.

There *IS* an artist loft also, and they had a bunch of room. I just remembered it. They keep trying to rent out the bulk of the space, while keeping the upstairs area. They were posting on craigslist a few months ago. I don't know the name of it, just that it is in Norfolk. I think a photography guy owns it, but I could be wrong. I think I emailed him just giving a general greeting but never got a response.

Archived