Charlotte Violent Crime Up 50%...Wow!

Mike1

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said crime is up nearly 9 percent there this year, compared to the same time period in 2004.

Violent crime is up almost 50 percent.

What can the city do to control this? (rapes, car jackings, home invasions, etc...)

Why isn't the police taking more action?

Will this eventually make people / businesses think twice about relocating to Charlotte?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was just thinking maybe it is a trend, not just in charlotte... but that news story didn't have much info, beyond the typical local news "we're all gonna die! story at 11".

the clinton-gingrich-dole era lowered crime nationally... and i think that continued strong through the bush-9/11 era.

i think the kind of music and the kind of drugs during that period have more to do with it than the kind of president, btw.

i was just thinking maybe it is a trend, not just in charlotte... but that news story didn't have much info, beyond the typical local news "we're all gonna die! story at 11".

the clinton-gingrich-dole era lowered crime nationally... and i think that continued strong through the bush-9/11 era.

i think the kind of music and the kind of drugs during that period have more to do with it than the kind of president, btw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are all going to die (and I myself attribute this to liberal governement).

Seriously, I quite agree with you that the media are bad news bears.

Violent crime in Charlotte is still will below the level of the early 90's. This is a link to the Bureau of Justice Statistics listing the number of homicides from 1985-2002 by city.

I try to avoid WSOC-TV just because of their exagerations about unsafe Charlotte is. One example I happened to see about a month ago is they refered to uptown as a "hot-bed" of crime even though police statistics show its one of the safest places in the city. :wacko:

I've been noticing quite a rise in the number of car jackings and robberys. Violent crime in Charlotte which peaked, I believe in 1993, fell simply because they simply started throwing more people in jail for a long time.

Unfortunatly gang activity is way up which is what is behind the quick rise in the crime rate and the community & police have been unprepared for this new batch of criminals.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said crime is up nearly 9 percent there this year, compared to the same time period in 2004.

Violent crime is up almost 50 percent.

What can the city do to control this?  (rapes, car jackings, home invasions, etc...) 

Why isn't the police taking more action?

Will this eventually make people / businesses think twice about relocating to Charlotte?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best way to halt car jackings is to legalize carrying conceiled/non-conceiled weapons in your vehicle. Sounds harsh, but it's effective. Home invasions, buy a Rotweilder. Rapes, buy a whistle or wear depends.

where is this thread going!?! Depends? :blink:

I think the 'up 50%' thing is just a local news shock-to-hawk.

The numbers are so small in downtown, that minor chnages in behavior or weather or whatever can make the numbers jump up and down by "100%" and "50%" or whatever.

my car was stolen a few years ago. But we got it back 2 hours later just 10 blocks from my house. It was teenagers going for a joyride when it had snowed. No damage, but they apparently like bojangles chicken :).

My biggest problem in that whole experience was that i was on hold for 45 minutes with 911... i'm not kidding. When the police finally came to my house, i gave them quite a loud lecture :).

I happen to feel that Charlotte is a pretty safe place to be - that's why we are moving there. I don't listen much to the media about it - too much hype.

As far as crime goes - as the economy stumbles, crime will increase. When Clinton was in office, we had record growth nationally and crime dwindled. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but as far as this goes, I think the rising crime numbers are just the swing in the pendulum.

The gang thing OTOH - unless the police are given "national guard" like powers and automatic weapons to take this on, they have no chance. They are fighting a well armed but unorganized military structure and have to follow "all the rules". In general, gang members are willing to die and prison is not really a deterrent because it can actually increase their status. Most law enforcement agrees that they know where all the gangs are and they know who belongs but, without long-term stings and surveillance like operation blackhawk, they have little legal standing to interfere because most gangs know how to work the system and keep their activities covert.

Off the record, I would love to see masssive SWAT style retaliation for the damage these gangs are doing to our communities and inner cities on a national level. This won't ever happen but hopefully they will start to give the law enough teeth to start to eliminate the problem. If not, expect problems with gangs to rise on a national level - not just in Charlotte

As far as crime goes - as the economy stumbles, crime will increase. When Clinton was in office, we had record growth nationally and crime dwindled. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but as far as this goes, I think the rising crime numbers are just the swing in the pendulum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, violent crime rates have always been lower under Bush than they were under Clinton. Even despite some upward trends since '03, overall violent crime is still lower than '00 and before.

Rather than "a swing in the pendulum," it's fortunately just been a continuation of the downward trend.

Just google "national violent crime rates" or something else to that effect. The government keeps lots of stats on the matter.

High unemployment rates in cities normally result in higher crime rates. Although, i do not know the economic condition of Charlotte but knowing that many people move to Charlotte, is there enough job creation? Also, if there is a lot of job creation, are they low paying or decent? The per capita income of residents in Charlotte will have a lot to do with crime rates.

Archived