Suggestions? Where to (or not) live in Atlanta?

Hybrid0NE

Just need some advice from the locals...

People have basically told me not to relocate to anyplace South of I-20, crime rates are high in Marietta/Northwest area and the suburban fringe is really cheap. I've pretty much fixed myself on locating ITP or near a train/subway station but the only area I know that is pretty urban and walkable is Midtown. I tried Sandy Springs (appears urban from the freeway) by transit and it was hell and the only places I've stayed while on visit are Down/Midtown, so that limits my metro experience.

I like Buckhead but from my drive-thru experiences it doesn't appear very walkable, except if you're going from MARTA to Lenox Mall. Anyone with suggestions, PLEASE reply. Thanks...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a Walkable area with access to Transit I would consider many of the areas to the east of the city (including Decatur) in addition to Midtown/Downtown.

You looking to rent or buy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Renting and I never thought about Decatur. I'll do some research into area too...

Don't listen to comments about 'anyplace but south of I-20', though there are some truths that there are areas that are violent - often commen sense will dictate if you would be safe. Grant Park, Ormewood Park & East Atlanta are all south of I-20 & are very valued & great neighborhoods.

How much are you considering renting? Midtown is expensive & there are numerous lofts that are near MARTA stations but often lofts are pricey. Often what you may consider urban is very subjective - Downtown & Midtown are the only 'urban' areas, but there are many neighborhoods that are primarily single family that others would consider urban, based on walkabilty, density & mixed use.

Also, the area where the majority of apartment buildings are in an urban setting aren't near MARTA stations (within 1 mile), so you would need to use the bus system (which isn't bad along Ponce & Moreland). Keep open the idea of renting a room out of a house, depends on who you would get stuck living with - but it's often the most affordable option that would place you in great neighborhoods near MARTA.

I second the recommendation to look at Decatur (city). We've lived here for a little more than two years. Before that we lived in Virginia Highlands (which we also love), but Decatur is more walkable and friendly. The restaurants and shopping are on par with VA Highlands. It retains all of the benefits of big city (3 miles from Atlanta) while offering the benefits of small town. Midtown and Downtown Atlanta are a 20 min. bike ride on the Path, so you have your choice of bike, Marta, or car to get to work (we prefer to bike, except on a really hot day). A few benefits of the "small town" atmosphere are the community events like weekend concerts on the square, the beer festival, wine festival, art festival, and so on. These are things we didn't get in Midtown / VA Highlands, with the exception of the occasional big events at Piedmont Park (i.e. Dogwood Festival), which we still take advantage of via bike or Marta.

If you choose to live in the suburbs, might I suggest that you not move beyond the core counties (Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Douglas, Clayton, Fayette or Gwinnett)?

Otherwise, the commute would be long and...well you've probably heard of Atlanta traffic.

This might be off your radar, because it is south of I-20 and still somewhat off the beaten path, but College Park is an up-and-coming town. From what I understand it's becoming the Atlanta gay mecca outside of Midtown, which is leading to a lot of gentrification. Whether that's good or bad I'm not one to say, but after being name-checked in hip-hop songs CP is moving in a different direction.

There's a MARTA station in the downtown area, a handful of good restaurants, and it's very walkable in certain areas. Also very convenient to the airport... one stop south on MARTA.

Has anyone mentioned places like Lindbergh and Atlantic Stations?

I hear there is a lot of activity there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although the concept behind Atlantic Station is a great idea, there are a few reasons why I wouldn't recommend it to people as a place to live. The number 1 reason I wouldn't is because the quality of construction seems poor. Many of the condos (with the exception of Twelve, the condo high rise) come across and quickly put together and poorly built. It's really a shame that a development with that kind of potential worked with a developer than gives us something that is less than impressive. Second, the development isn't great for those wishing to explorer urbanism outside of the development. Although fairly well self contained... that's it problem, it's self contained. It's doesn't integrate with the existing neighborhoods and it's a bus trip or a long walk across the bridge into Midtown.

Lindbergh, although near MARTA, really lacks much of anything else. You will be driving for retail. The TOD project there is just now starting to get anything besides it's office buildings. Other than it's proximity to MARTA, there isn't much there.

In both cases, I believe there are pretty areas and neighborhoods to consider. I think some of these are worth while for the suburbanite giving in town living a chance, I'm not sure I would run around recommending them unless I knew that's what you were looking for specifically.

• 3 weeks later...

You should live close to your job

wherever you work, I mean gas prices are like hell

and If you work downtown, I would recomend a condo or highrise

or loft or penthouse, or whatever. Decatur is nice. Then there is Buckhead:

Beautiful homes, and apartments, and townhouses. whatever fits you.

I could say this, and Bobb could say that, but go with your own choice

cause I dont want to be responsible for you to end up living in a hell hole

And I mean that in the best way possible :D

Archived