St. Petersburg - Twin 26 story towers proposed

bobliocatt

Old hotels may be razed to build high-rise condos

By MELANIE AVE, Times Staff Writer

Published April 29, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - A California developer submitted plans Thursday to build twin 26-story condominium towers on the site of two old downtown hotels.

Marc Harris, president of San Diego's Granville Pacific Inc., said he wants to build 360 condominiums at 400 Fourth Street N that would feature a 20,000-square-foot gourmet grocery store, 8,000 square feet of retail space on the bottom floor and four stories of enclosed parking.

The former Bond Hotel, which is vacant, and another building that also once was a hotel and is now being used as an adult learning center are on the property. They would both be torn down.

The new units would range in size from 760 to 1,260 square feet. Four 2,250-square-foot penthouses would top each tower. Harris said prices would start in the low $200,000s.

For Full article:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/29/Southpin...ay_be_raz.shtml

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, St. Pete is REALLY starting to impress me. That St. Pete Times graphical really did it and now there are more buildings coming. I think they (St. Pete) will have one of the nicest looking downtowns in Florida!!! I am watching Orlando and St. Pete closely. None of the other cities really interest me as much (maybe Jax a little). Tampa and Miami do not.

I think they (St. Pete) will have one of the nicest looking downtowns in Florida!!! I am watching Orlando and St. Pete closely. None of the other cities really interest me as much (maybe Jax a little). Tampa and Miami do not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes my hometown St.Pete will look very nice and has come a long way but u must remember that not all can be built. As far as the nicest downtown in looks maybe but not height, etc. And about this condo thing its been a long time that St.Pete has been saying that they will build twin condo towers since about 2002 and they were going to be the tallest in the city but that never happened i wonder if this is the one they were talking about? As far as Miami goes its one of the most intresting skylines in Florida and will be a supercity soon with all the hi-rises and population growth going on it'll become one of Americas International Cities. Tampa is next to St.Pete and is going to have a nicer dowtown then St.Pete when all those projects will be done the downtown will bring it to the Status of Miami currently. Anyway its ur personal opinion on what cities u like i just dont understand how u couldnt be intrested in the fastest growing skylines in Florida.

I believe that most of the St. Pete proposals will be built. I think developers have done a good job of staggering construction so that there's constantly a few projects under construction/in sales at a time rather than a deluge of projects all at once. I think DT St. Pete will definately be able to hold its own in a few years, and create more of an identity for itself, both as a part of the Tampa Bay metro and as an individual city.

The twin-tower proposal in the article discussed here is totally different from the twin towers proposed a few years ago -- different location and different developer. The previous twin-tower proposal was for Beach Drive and came from a bankrupt developer. That land, the 400 Block of Beach Drive, was acquired by Opus, who will be constructing another 29-story tower and mixed-use complex. I think construction was orininally to begin in 2006, but was pushed up to sometime this fall or winter. Sitework has already begun.

This twin-tower proposal sounds nice. Another grocery story for downtown -- it just might be truly needed in the next few years. Glad to see some more activity/interest in towers away from the waterfront. I don't see this particular project getting off the ground until next year, though.

Archived