Carpionato Properties

Frankie811

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they need to update their site.. because the hotel didn't open last year .. did it :P ???

also.. I think that if the project is still on the boards and a hotel were to go there, then it should much taller. Maybe 30+ stories

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think i would have to disagree on the 30 stories, that is the land were the RISD art projects go. I dont see that breaking the 200 foot mark. :( But in any case they should deffinitly update their site.

I thought that was odd myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at thier Web Site, they don't have any really nice 'showpeice' properties in their portfolio. Not to put them down, but it seems like their expertise is in bulding strip malls. It doesn't seem to me that building strip malls, or a 5 story Holiday Inn would be nearly as complicated as building this property. Are they up to building a "17-story hotel/retail/condominium project in Downtown Providence."?

OK, one more question. Why is this being called the "Intercontinental Hotel", when the actual Intercontinental is (condo's) this?

I'm confused

:rolleyes:

Im sorry if i missed the bus on this one... but when did a hotle proposel get put in kennedy plaza.Hotle I missed....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Former Providence Mayor Joseph Paolino was to develop this parcel into a hotel, but failed to get financing, so the city relisted it and asked for RFP's. Carpionato was awarded the right to develop this land and this is the hotel/condo they came up with. As to why it's taking them so long to move on this is unknown, but the land poses some problem, since the land underground is not stable, probably because thewre use to be a river underneath it. They say it would cost a lot to build an underground garage.

I dont like these guys... Seems like they have only done shopping centers, and not very nice ones, and they are using the cache of Whole Foods to get better shopping centers. And moving into the historic mixed use category. They are redeveloping a lot of property, fortunately or unfortunately. Check out their website for "Chapel View", the former Sockanossett Training School. Creepy shopping. "Most anticipated retail experience"? Who are they trying to convince?

They are also slated to redevelop the Tourtellot Fruit Warehouse. They had some renderings at the State Historic Preservation Conference this past weekend (the 23rd). I dunno... see the renderings (render 1, render 2). Looks like they plan to add on to the southern side. And by the way, what are they using to render these things? Coleco Vision? Looks like Atari's Hard Drivin from the 80s.

They are also slated to redevelop the Tourtellot Fruit Warehouse. They had some renderings at the State Historic Preservation Conference this past weekend (the 23rd). I dunno... see the renderings (render 1, render 2). Looks like they plan to add on to the southern side. And by the way, what are they using to render these things? Coleco Vision? Looks like Atari's Hard Drivin from the 80s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, when did this happen?? We were all just having a thread as to what was to become of the market. When did they get it? I can't say I love their parking solution...

I like the Coleco Vision line... That got a chuckle out of me :). Hard Drivin'... Hehe... I remember that game! It was fun at the time, and it does look like it!!

- Garris

Haha that rendering looks like it was ripped out of Providence 1970, the same plan that advocated replacing City Hall with a parking lot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly why I dont like these guys... not visionary at all, just jumping onto the redevelopment bandwagon. Carpionato agreed to purchase the site from the state for 4 million... the state bought it for $16 million to knock part of it down for the new mall off ramp. Your tax dollars at work.

I dont like these guys... Seems like they have only done shopping centers, and not very nice ones, and they are using the cache of Whole Foods to get better shopping centers. And moving into the historic mixed use category. They are redeveloping a lot of property, fortunately or unfortunately. Check out their website for "Chapel View", the former Sockanossett Training School. Creepy shopping. "Most anticipated retail experience"? Who are they trying to convince?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh God. I love how they're trying to pretend this is smart growth by building it as "mixed use." It's no Main Street and it's mixed use surrounded by a sea of parking. It's basically Garden City with housing above it. I love the line "set in the more affluent quarter of the Cranston/Warwick suburbs of Providence." What the hell do they mean by that?

I guess it's good they're finally makin something out of that site though...too bad it wasn't more along the line of a TOD with a BRT or something runnin down Reservoir Ave.

I think it was $4.5 million. Too much, in any case. Blame the State for this, in part. The original RFP was to award 50% of merit to development plan and resources of developer and then they switched it to 100% price. Ask for no vision, get no vision.

Perhaps we should do a Grand Theft Auto on the renderings and blow 'em up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tourtellot Fruit would be best used like a Fanueil Hall type market on the 1st floor, then office space above it... Much better than this.. This looks like a Shaws..

Or even better would be a "foods of the world" market.. Kind of like an Epcot Center of Providence.. Representing all the cultures of the people of Prov..

That would be incredible..

Tourtellot Fruit would be best used like a Fanueil Hall type market on the 1st floor, then office space above it... Much better than this..  This looks like a Shaws..

Or even better would be a "foods of the world" market.. Kind of like an Epcot Center of Providence.. Representing all the cultures of the people of Prov..

That would be incredible..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm The Heritage Harbor of Foods, eh :rofl:

Archived