Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

I read the article also but I don't recall anything about the Westin. I also watched the news tonight for an hour but nothing!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i just read it too. I only glimpsed at it earlier but no Westin. I guess it was the performing arts centers day today. As much as they have been advertising the Westin in the paper with the new design you would think they would have had another story on it by now. They just keep dropping the ball. Oh, well. Guess we have to wait til august for that story to come out. I mean c'mon pilot! You got scooped by newschannel 3 of all people :angry: .

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the skinny side view makes it look taller. I think these drawings also demonstrate just how different the artistic drawings can look from the computerized renderings, which is why i'm anxious for Granby Tower to go ahead and get its computer generated rendering up.

It also appears from the site that none of the 4000 sq ft units are availiable anymore. Must have sold out :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I wonder what they went for LOL. I really like the renderings above. Just wish I could afford a unit. :rolleyes:

Why Condo Hotels Are a Hot Concept

By Robyn Taylor Parets

May 1, 2005 12:00 PM

From Boston to Los Angeles, developers are busy converting existing hotels to one of the hottest concepts in the lodging and real estate industries today

^ hey, great article! This one paragraph really sticks out to me.

"There's no question about it: Buyers are willing to ante up more money for a branded luxury condominium than a similar condo in another building.

these buildings are safer bets right now. Hotel occupancies will fluxuate, residential space tends to stay very steady once units are sold, rental space will fluxuate with the market, as will commercial space. Combining two or more of these things together into one tower is safer for the developer and investors to do. I have a feeling it will be the type of buildings that will now dominate skylines.

I can't believe there really is no coverage on this! You don't hear about the development in Norfolk either! What are the local media doing???? That's right they are covering PETA tax exemption.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that they cover a story once and then that is it. Most people are pretty oblivious to all the new hotels/condos going up. Open a new Super WalMart and the press is all over that.

I think that as the official groundbreakings happen we will see more coverage. As it is, they have too many human interest and crime stopper stories to tell to all the old ladies that read the paper anyway.

I keep going to pilotonline several times a day waiting for something new and exciting to break but so far I have been pretty disappointed. Surely there are all kinds of great things brewing but we just don't know about them yet. :(

I thought that this development was in human interest. They should at least have some NIMBY same something or have some positive to report on all of this. I don't even see anything on Norfolk's development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is NIMBY again? I once knew what it was, but forgot....haha... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

With respect to the Granby Tower/Westin at Town Center race to be the tallest, we should keep one thing in mind when predicting the eventual victor. The folks at AH and Divaris put that rather uninspiring, awkward spire on top of the AH Tower for one reason and for one reason only: Driven by ego, they wanted to beat Harvey Lindsay and Dominion Tower for the right to use the "tallest building in HR" moniker in their AH Tower marketing materials. Mission accomplished.

Now, let's fast foward a few short years. With Westin at Town Center, AH and Divaris are setting out to be the tallest in the entire state! Mr. Haddad guaranteed as much in his "press conference" a few weeks ago. So, does anyone really believe that they'll just let Buddy Gadams steal their thunder?

With respect to the Granby Tower/Westin at Town Center race to be the tallest, we should keep one thing in mind when predicting the eventual victor.  The folks at AH and Divaris put that rather uninspiring, awkward spire on top of the AH Tower for one reason and for one reason only:  Driven by ego, they wanted to beat Harvey Lindsay and Dominion Tower for the right to use the "tallest building in HR" moniker in their AH Tower marketing materials.  Mission accomplished. 

Now, let's fast foward a few short years. With Westin at Town Center, AH and Divaris are setting out to be the tallest in the entire state!  Mr. Haddad guaranteed as much in his "press conference" a few weeks ago.  So, does anyone really believe that they'll just let Buddy Gadams steal their thunder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^^^This could get interesting :D

So were almost guaranteed a 500ft tower outta someone then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I, for one, am hopeful. Unfortunately, when I met with him, Mr. Divaris would only discuss height projections (of 37-38 stories) in terms of number of stories, and he confirmed that reports were accurate (at that time). He was quick to point out that changes (up or down) were possible at any given time depending upon interest and demand--market conditions. He seemed very interested in downplaying any competition with anyone (Norfolk, especially). I think he was just being gracious.

What's frustrating is that it is almost impossible to know what is really going on. These guys are all about secrecy--secrecy in leasing negotiations, marketing strategy, market research, and yes, building specs! It's part of the development game, and it's nothing new. No matter how nice or open they seem, for now, we are on the outside looking in!

Archived