Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So today I had a few extra minutes and so I decided to take a few pics while at the Westin.....

This staircase inside the hotel part was modeled after the Apple HQ. Kinda cool huh.

IMG_0513.jpg

Went shopping at Dick's Saturday night, parked in the garage, so we decided to walk over to the Westin, via the skybridge. A few observations:

1. This staircase has problems -- the water wall drips onto the glass treads -- for about the nine inches closest to the wall. That will have to be fixed, and heavens only knows how.

2. When you step out of the Westin, look across at the Sandler, the Lofts, and M&S -- then right back toward the Cosmopolitan you get this incredible Crystal City kind of vibe. Even better than Tysons -- which is much too auto centric.

3. The back up of cars leaving the Westin Garage after a performance at the Sandler is mindboggling -- word to the wise -- park at Dick's and walk over.

4. The two entertainment/residential/office centers of the Southside -- TC and downtown Norfolk -- have to be linked by light rail. There are too many natural attractions between both. Not to mention, they attract the same type of crowd -- which just happens to be a crowd that would be most likely to use clean, quick, cost effective mass transit. If the VB city council wants to just take baby steps, then extend the damn line just as far as TC!

Please!

Now!

3. The back up of cars leaving the Westin Garage after a performance at the Sandler is mindboggling -- word to the wise -- park at Dick's and walk over.

seriously this is what is wrong with our country, we are to damn lazy to do anything that requires effort. I walk a mile to work and these people can't walk two blocks to a performance.

• 1 month later...

Noticed they finally got the signage up top of the building the other day so the tower finally shows its "WESTIN".

Also...was pondering something earlier today while crossing the high rise bridge. I noticed that the Westin is visible from this spot, and wondered if there was anywhere farther away that you could still see the Westin...

So I ask...where is the farthest spot that any of you know of (discounting being off the ground, or on a boat) that you can see the Westin from?

*The highrise bridge is 10.63 miles away from the westin, straigh line distance, as measured on google earth.

Noticed they finally got the signage up top of the building the other day so the tower finally shows its "WESTIN".

Also...was pondering something earlier today while crossing the high rise bridge. I noticed that the Westin is visible from this spot, and wondered if there was anywhere farther away that you could still see the Westin...

So I ask...where is the farthest spot that any of you know of (discounting being off the ground, or on a boat) that you can see the Westin from?

*The highrise bridge is 10.63 miles away from the westin, straigh line distance, as measured on google earth.

You can see the Westin from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel too. :shades:

I seem to recall being able to see both downtown Norfolk and the town center tower from the 6th floor of one of the buildings on the Navy base.

I have some pictures from the roof of a building on Shore Drive, you can clearly see town center.

A friend has pictures from the roof of Dominion Tower (Hell's tower / Devil's tower) as well.

I think I posted them before, but I'll see if I can dig them up.

It's about 19.2 miles to fishermans island (straight line), if you can see the westin from that point, so that 'd beat out the 17.5 max on the mmbt so far. If you can see it from the JRB that's farther, up to about 22.5 miles. I'd guess that would be the farthest point possible, but who knows...just more curious then anything, there's so many spots I notice driving around the area where you look up and see it and it's like...hey, there it is, so far away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived