Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

You are forgetting that DC doesnt like the size of the Rosslyn building already, so we'll see just how tall they really let it be.  It is right across the water from DC, and any taller and it will be taller than the washington monument and all of DC would flip their lids at that point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. I posted on another site in the "Rosslyn to get VA's tallest"thread about what Mr. Haddad said and it was like a pack of wild dogs attacked me. They did have a point though. Until

he releases the actual height in feet we really won't know for sure which building will be taller. They're definately close though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you Urbanlife...I had been confident all the while!  Hell...to the...yea!...and all that sheeaat.  Don't downplay The Beach because it's just starting off.  (ghetto accent on)  They lookin' like true playas now! (ghetto accent off)  :alc:

Cheers!

Metalman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahahahaha. Indeed. "Just starting off" is an important part because while people joke on the fact that there is one lone tower out there, given another 10 years there could be many more. No one expected "the Virginia Beach Town Center Project" to blow up into a project of this magnitude so quickly, which gives me hope for the other projects---HQ Property, Pembroke Mall, City View, etc.---to become similarly grandiose. It's a far cry from a downtown currently, but Virginia Beach's CBD is definitely up and coming.

I wanna take a moment out to also say that while with some announcements a Hampton Roads resident may become disgruntled or dismayed, but with a big announcement like this, it really makes you appreciate the area and gives you back the hope you lose. I said it earlier and I'll say it again---Virginia Beach will always surprise you both positively and negatively!

POSITIVELY IN THIS INSTANCE~! :):D

I wanna take a moment out to also say that while with some announcements a Hampton Roads resident may become disgruntled or dismayed, but with a big announcement like this, it really makes you appreciate the area and gives you back the hope you lose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. I almost had to seek therapy after the Hilton news but my dismay over that is all but forgotten now :lol: .

:D It looks like we have ourselves a little media blitz today :thumbsup:

Plans for additional growth have also been announced to occupy more of the 17 city blocks comprising The Town Center of Virginia Beach. Westin Hotels plans to construct a 37-story hotel and residential development at the corner of Independence Boulevard and Columbus Street, across from Dick

Thanks for the GREAT link, Vdogg! It really has been crazy today... not that I mind haha. That site gave me a bit to think about... particularly the dollar figure: Half a billion for the town center. That number is huge regardless of where you're talking about and I think its final product-here in Virginia Beach-will be something unlike we could've imagined when it broke ground in 2000. :) *carrying on the optimism!!:)*

I noticed the article said 37 stories but I thought I read 38 earlier.. anyone know for sure?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

38 was in that email that i got from armada hoffler. Since their the construction company i'll trust that number more than i will 37. Also, if it is to be the tallest in the state it is much more likely to be 38 than 37.

congrats TC, you'll finally dethrown the mighty...ugly :) ....Monroe Tower from its 20+ year reign as Virginia's tallest. I'd rather have HR have the tallest than NOVA ANYDAY. Hopefully, you'll have time to enjoy it. As Richmond continues its massive redevelopment, perhaps we can have multiple cities vying for the tallest. In any case, congrats :thumbsup:

congrats TC, you'll finally dethrown the mighty...ugly :) ....Monroe Tower from its 20+ year reign as Virginia's tallest. I'd rather have HR have the tallest than NOVA ANYDAY. Hopefully, you'll have time to enjoy it. As Richmond continues its massive redevelopment, perhaps we can have multiple cities vying for the tallest. In any case, congrats :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha. I really hope competition amongst our cities in Virginia is brought on by this! I hope that Virginia Beach can hold onto it for a while, but if Richmond gets it back in another few years, then that's okay (I like its downtown better at the moment by a longshot anyway). But Virginia Beach... gotta give 'em credit. Who'd have thought??? haha. *Gleeful mood continues*

I was really hoping the Pilot was going to publish a story about the Westin especially since it was reported to be Va's tallest building. I haven't heard anything else since the reporting on Channel 3 news. It would be great to see what the builders of the one in Ballston thought about that especially since it sounds like both are vying for the same position.

I was really hoping the Pilot was going to publish a story about the Westin especially since it was reported to be Va's tallest building. I haven't heard anything else since the reporting on Channel 3 news. It would be great to see what the builders of the one in Ballston thought about that especially since it sounds like both are vying for the same position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The pilot hasn't said crap about TC for a while now. I expect there to be at least one article due to the groundbreaking next week, that is if they care. <_<

^ Yes, it was in today's Pilot. It is scheduled for 11am on the 12th. I will be at work unfortunately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sucks, so will i. Hopefully they have plenty of news coverage about this.

^ Yes, it was in today's Pilot. It is scheduled for 11am on the 12th. I will be at work unfortunately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, btw. What section of the pilot is it in. Its not online and i haven't picked up my local paper yet.

Archived