Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

Personally, if I were developing the Westin i would be very afraid that granby is gonna steal my thunder. Up until now there was nothing to really set these projects apart. They were both very similar in height and had decent yet uninspiring architecture. Now Granby came out with the new design and you could almost hear the collective gasp across the region as people contemplated something of this caliber being built in Norfolk. Simply due to this design, even though Westin will be taller, I fear that Granby tower will be the "regions" signature tower and the one that everyone outside Hampton Roads will recognize us by when seen on brochures.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is demand so far?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I heard (about 5 weeks ago), demand was very strong for the 1st floor retail. Additionally, the Westin had increased their building from approx 12 stories to 18 as a result of extensive market research and the better-than-anticipated sales per sq ft. results for existing Town Center phases. Interest in the condos was described as "quite good." Yes, a rather vague answer. I don't recall if I reported it quite this way intially, but out of all of the particular items of TC interest, this Westin project seemed to give Mr. Divaris the most pause. He just blew through this "section" of his presentation. I had to pull him back to it a few times. I got the feeling that the whole deal was so big and in such constant flux that it made him...nervous is not the word...but maybe apprehensive.

Last I heard (about 5 weeks ago), demand was very strong for the 1st floor retail. Additionally, the Westin had increased their building from approx 12 stories to 18 as a result of extensive market research and the better-than-anticipated sales per sq ft. results for existing Town Center phases.  Interest in the condos was described as "quite good."  Yes, a rather vague answer.  I don't recall if I reported it quite this way intially, but out of all of the particular items of TC interest, this Westin project seemed to give Mr. Divaris the most pause. He just blew through this "section" of his presentation. I had to pull him back to it a few times. I got the feeling that the whole deal was so big and in such constant flux that it made him...nervous is not the word...but maybe apprehensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$130 million will make anyone nervous, I don't care who you are :lol: . Thats good that demand is (currently) so high and it's also good that a change in the up direction is still possible (even though he mentioned down too but i choose to be positive :) ). We could see this think break 40 yet :D .

Well, I believe that the ground-breaking, mixed-use nature of a new and unique hotel to the region combined with full-service upscale condos, first floor retail and a signature restaurant--delivered handsomely in a 500+- foot package--will make the Westin at Town Center THE signature tower for HR. While I agree that the Granby Tower is visually arresting, the Westin design is good enough, when combined with the aformentioned qualities, to put it on top.

Well, I believe that ground-breaking, mixed-use nature of a new and unique hotel to the region combined with full-service upscale condos, first floor retail and a signature restaurant--delivered handsomely in a 500+- foot package--will make  the Westin at Town Center THE signature tower for HR. While I agree that the Granby Tower is visually arresting, the Westin design is good enough, when combined with the aformentioned qualities, to put it on top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true, i guess only time will tell. The most frustrating thing is we won't have any "true" answers to our questions until the damn things are built :lol: .

Well, I believe that ground-breaking, mixed-use nature of a new and unique hotel to the region combined with full-service upscale condos, first floor retail and a signature restaurant--delivered handsomely in a 500+- foot package--will make  the Westin at Town Center THE signature tower for HR. While I agree that the Granby Tower is visually arresting, the Westin design is good enough, when combined with the aformentioned qualities, to put it on top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've got to remember that the Westin will break ground long before the Granby tower and also the demand for housing downtown Norfolk is very large!!!! One building will not make a signature building unless it was maybe 700-1000 ft. Granby didn't have to stick a hotel in the bottom of it to get its height either. LOL 31 Stories of pure condos with a little touch of retail!!!!

You've got to remember that the Westin will break ground long before the Granby tower and also the demand for housing downtown Norfolk is very large!!!! One building will not make a signature building unless it was  maybe 700-1000 ft. Granby didn't have to stick a hotel in the bottom of it to get its height either. LOL 31 Stories of pure condos with a little touch of retail!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think 700-1000ft is a bit out of our league for now. Most of the time a signature tower is one that is simply "visibly" taller than the rest by a significant margin. Usually upwards of at least 100ft taller than all surrounding towers and i think both these buildings meet that requirement. Another major part of being a signature tower is it's design. The better the design, the more recognizable it is.

You've got to remember that the Westin will break ground long before the Granby tower and also the demand for housing downtown Norfolk is very large!!!! One building will not make a signature building unless it was  maybe 700-1000 ft. Granby didn't have to stick a hotel in the bottom of it to get its height either. LOL 31 Stories of pure condos with a little touch of retail!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Points well taken. I hate to pick sides because I love both projects! When we refer to The Westin or The Granby as being a "signature" development, the term is meant to be a relative one. Compared with what we have now, these two are monumental!

Well, I can't wait to inspect these babies in person!  :D  Then, and only then, will we be able to render our definitive judgments on these worthy projects!  Man, this board should be absolutely hoppin' for a good number of years!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The great thing is once all the current projects are finishing up the next generation (Cityview, town square, B & N Property, Courts Tower, Downtown plaza, city hall tower) Will be either starting or getting ready to start. We should have our hands full at this forum for about the next decade :lol: .

Remember too the Westin is the FIRST residential tower for Va Beach! The Cosmo is all rental (at least that I know of) so I would think the list would be like crazy high! I mean if we had a couple of other towers under our belt then maybe not but since this is our first tower I bet its nuts!

The great thing is once all the current projects are finishing up the next generation (Cityview, town square, B & N Property, Courts Tower, Downtown plaza, city hall tower) Will be either starting or getting ready to start. We should have our hands full at this forum for about the next decade  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, wait till the Westin hits the newspaper. .and the Granby and whatever all else is brewing around here. We won't know where to stop! :lol:

Well, I believe that the ground-breaking, mixed-use nature of a new and unique hotel to the region combined with full-service upscale condos, first floor retail and a signature restaurant--delivered handsomely in a 500+- foot package--will make  the Westin at Town Center THE signature tower for HR. While I agree that the Granby Tower is visually arresting, the Westin design is good enough, when combined with the aformentioned qualities, to put it on top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True when you think about it. Where else could you live and have such high end dining, entertainment and all of the other amenities at your disposal - all at a short walk!!

Well, I believe that the ground-breaking, mixed-use nature of a new and unique hotel to the region combined with full-service upscale condos, first floor retail and a signature restaurant--delivered handsomely in a 500+- foot package--will make

I don't think that makes me think Westin is going to be on top. I always thought the Westin was the better looking tower with more of everything until the latest round of news of Granby Tower. I personally think that looks-wise, the Westin is now behind Granby. Granby's rendering is still sketchy but it got everyone dropping jaws. Another thing to note, the second design of Granby was $130 million, matching Westin's current tag, Granby's new design will throw it around $150 million. Plus, the designers have taken extra care to the buildings design.

Qualities-wise, they are a dead-heat. They both have first floor retail and restaurants, be in the 500 ft. range, be in active nightlife districts, etc. The only exclusives I see is the Westin has a brand name and the Granby will have both water and city views.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they are both pretty close. Westin will be taller but Granby definately has that "shock and awe" factor going for it. When i imagine myself taking pictures of both of these buildings in the future I'll probably be taking a lot more of Granby than i will of Westin.

Points well taken. I hate to pick sides because I love both projects!  When we refer to The Westin or The Granby as being a "signature" development, the term is meant to be a relative one. Compared with what we have now, these two are monumental!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To go along with this one, Divaris had to decide weither to have 2 20 story towers or 1 tallest in Virginia. If you had to decide that, what would you guys do? I would be going for the tallest.

^ same here. The higher the better!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

508ft isn't bad, but that seems awfully high for 38 floors, especially with half of it being a hotel. Maybe it got bumped up again to the present 119 condos and 234 room hotel to 40 stories or something.

508ft isn't bad, but that seems awfully high for 38 floors, especially with half of it being a hotel. Maybe it got bumped up again to the present 119 condos and 234 room hotel to 40 stories or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's kinda of sad they released the final figure, that just killed 6 months worth of debate we could've had on this forum. Now i'll have to find some filler :lol: .

Archived