Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kinda of sad they released the final figure, that just killed 6 months worth of debate we could've had on this forum. Now i'll have to find some filler  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about how many towers are going to come to these two cities after these two towers gets built. Or how good does it feel to finally start out doing NoVa.

How about how many towers are going to come to these two cities after these two towers gets built.  Or how good does it feel to finally start out doing NoVa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a great start urbanlife. I think both cities will see at least 3 proposals each (being conservative here, Norfolk probably closer to 10) over the next 2 years. I also predict that there will be at least 2 new highrises in each city, that have yet to be mentioned, that will be starting construction when Westin and Granby finish.

It's kinda of sad they released the final figure, that just killed 6 months worth of debate we could've had on this forum. Now i'll have to find some filler  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about whether Reston, Va is going to surpass the Westin or not. They were already scheduled for 482 feet, so I cant imagine the Westin is safe at 508.

How about whether Reston, Va is going to surpass the Westin or not.  They were already scheduled for 482 feet, so I cant imagine the Westin is safe at 508.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOVA will probably make that building surpass the Westin. They have the money to out do VaBeach.

NOVA will probably make that building surpass the Westin. They have the money to out do VaBeach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably, but maybe the competition between westin and granby could drive the towers taller. Reston isn't really competing with any other towers locally so I guess we'll have to see.

Probably, but maybe the competition between westin and granby could drive the towers taller.  Reston isn't really competing with any other towers locally so I guess we'll have to see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, according to an article that i posted here somewhere on this site it looks like the FAA has proposed a compromise increase in zoning from 300ft to 390ft, and the citycouncil is looking really hard at that compromise. That being said it would really upset me if a city i do not even really consider part of Virginia gets tallest in Virginia status.

Actually, according to an article that i posted here somewhere on this site it looks like the FAA has proposed a compromise increase in zoning from 300ft to 390ft, and the citycouncil is looking really hard at that compromise. That being said it would really upset me if a city i do not even really consider part of Virginia gets tallest in Virginia status.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a part of the state if we like it or not. I don't know if they will have the states tallest but even if they do we are running on our own steam and not on DC. Our time will come and we will be happy. Tallest means nothing without density.

Its a part of the state if we like it or not. I don't know if they will have the states tallest but even if they do we are running on our own steam and not on DC. Our time will come and we will be happy. Tallest means nothing without density.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats true, but density is on the way with cityview and all the projects Divaris has planned.

Its a part of the state if we like it or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason i say this is not a knock on Rosslyn but just from my numerous visits up there it's always seemed more a part of D.C. than VA (and in fact used to be a part of D.C. which probably accounts for this). In fact i have been debating for months as whether to take Rosslyn out of the Balt-Wash section and incorporate it into the Virginia forum. While i already have permission from admin to do this I'm still not sure whether i should or not.

I think it should vdogg, it is one of our cities and should be treated as such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not part of our cities and will never be like us. Keep NOVA far away from a virginia forum and from us. They belong with DC, theyll never be a real virginia city.

Not part of our cities and will never be like us.  Keep NOVA far away from a virginia forum and from us.  They belong with DC, theyll never be a real virginia city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all fairness... NOVA contributes about 1/3 the state's economy---if not more---and I personally think that Alexandria and Arlington are beautiful cities and interesting ones at that...

Not that I don't want us to whoop their butts in the race for the sky! :lol:

With respect to the recent Virginian Pilot article comparing The Granby Tower with The Westin and Residences at Town Center, I sent an email on Wednesday to Battinto Batts and Harry Minium, the article's authors. I asked these gentlemen why they failed to mention that Westin and Granby would be #1 and #2 in the entire state of Virginia in terms of building height?!? Mr. Batts responded promptly (Mr. Minium has not responded) that he had no idea (!?!) that this was the case and that he might consider researching this angle of the story. He even went so far as to conclude that there must be some taller buildings up in NOVA, but that he wasn't sure!

So, I sent him links to the Washington Post story on Rosslyn's Tower (to show him that it refers to Rosslyn as the WOULD-BE tallest building in NOVA--and by inference, still shorter than Westin) and to EMPORIS.COM 's listings for all buildings in NOVA and for Richmond. He responded only with "thanks for the information."

I contacted Mr. Divaris who confirmed our assertion that Westin would be #1 in the state. He had no real comment on the Pilot's failure to address this issue.

Ahh, so are you the reason why they changed the article? I pointed it out in the Granby thread. First the article said the Granby would be the tallest but later in the evening it was changed to say the Westin would be the tallest.. .and then finally the end result was just an article about both towers. I honestly thought this was a bit strange.

:blink:

Ahh, so are you the reason why they changed the article? I pointed it out in the Granby thread. First the article said the Granby would be the tallest but later in the evening it was changed to say the Westin would be the tallest.. .and then finally the end result was just an article about both towers. I honestly thought this was a bit strange.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only problem with that is that it still didn't mention that these would be the tallest buildings in the state (unless they wanted to research that claim further before they put it out to the public). It's nice to know our forumers have such influence though. :)

Well, Divaris said in that meeting (which the Pilot didn't cover) that the Westin would be the region's tallest - and he may have stated the state's tallest , I am not sure. But where did the info come that Granby would be the tallest? I guess if the reporter wasn't familiar with the Westin that they assumed the Granby would indeed be the tallest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I wrote to Batts and Minium the same day that the amended article appeared on Pilot Online. So, their mistakes were all on them! Frankly, Mr. Batts seemed confused by my email. He didn't even know that the James Monroe was taller than everything in NOVA! I was just trying to point out to everyone (including the Pilot staff) that development issues are not taken very seriously around here. Simply put, there is no excuse for the local newpaper of record not to have investigated this issue prior to going to print. They don't even seem to know how to investigate, or maybe they don't care to do so. In any event, Mr. Divaris seemed happy to confirm the facts as we know them to be; however, he did not comment on why the Pilot did not print his and Mr. Haddad's earlier assertion that the Westin would claim the title. He didn't seem frustrated or upset by any of it! He's a better man than I am!

Mr. Divaris seems to be such a sincere person. He was so gracious to reply quickly to my emails. I was really amazed and did not know if he would even respond at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is definately very rare for a developer to do. It just goes to show the passion and the pride he as in the work he does.

That is definately very rare for a developer to do. It just goes to show the passion and the pride he as in the work he does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely. I couldn't have said it better. He lives and breathes Virginia Beach CBD development, and his passion and enthusiam are infectious.

Archived