Westin at Towncenter Progress

ToweringTurtle

That is pretty cool. I downloaded Weatherbug for my computer and it has a cam from TC - prolly the same onle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? I got rid of weatherbug cause it was annoying :lol: . Damn thing kept chirping and the temperature was never right. It kept saying it was like 30 degrees out when it was sunny and 82 so i trashed it. Guess i'll have to download it again though so i can have the tower cam on my desktop.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i was thinking this (because i was in 150 west main the other day), we were always told that that tower was 20 stories. When i went in there the elevator said 21. Then i noticed there was no 13th floor. I think this may account for the discrepancy between 37-38 floors for the Westin because it is a common practice to leave the 13th floor out of a residential tower. Therefore while the tower may indeed go up to 38 floors its actual height is 37

Are people actually afraid to live on the 13th floor?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been a practice forever. There are a lot of buildings that have the 13th floor missing.

I guess developers just want to take into account some of the possible surperstitions that people have.

37, 38...just as long as it's 508 feet.

Two questions:

1) So when did they demolish Dick's?

2) The tower looks great, but can they do something about that massive garage? Maybe put the garage (making it 8 stories versus a massive 4 story structure) on Block 6 (across from the performing arts center). Put the Westin Tower on the NE corner of Block 7 leaving the SW corner open for another high-rise building. The SE and NW corners can even have small parking structures, just so long as it's not one Pentagon-sized structure.

The guy is nuts. Only Rosslyn has any real collection of high-rise buildings in NoVa. Ballston, Crystal City, and Tyson's Corner have a few more. The two tallest buildings in Va are in Richmond followed by the AH Building at TC. Maybe if he talked about Baltimore, it would've made sense. The Westin looks like it will be taller than any building in Phoenix or San Diego and just 20 feet shorter than Baltimore's Legg Mason Building.

The tower looks great, but can they do something about that massive garage?  Maybe put the garage (making it 8 stories versus a massive 4 story structure) on Block 6 (across from the performing arts center).  Put the Westin Tower on the NE corner of Block 7 leaving the SW corner open for another high-rise building.  The SE and NW corners can even have small parking structures, just so long as it's not one Pentagon-sized structure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After seeing what they can do to hide a garage in Norfolk on Boush Street, I see NO REASON why this tower should be the 2000's descendant to the awful CMA tower in Norfolk. The building in the TC is a jumble and its garage is the worst point visually. Who is behind the design of this? Do they need glasses?

From a distance the tower will look very nice. Much nicer than the current tower. But up close, all that garage on the bottom will make it look like a fortress and wall to the other side of the TC. Why can't they be creative and wrap housing/retail or a combo of the two around the entire garage not just a tiny part at the front? It would be a great way to get some smaller, low cost housing units in. At least put in some fake windows and make the garage blend in with the structure!

And btw won't this be taller than any other building in VA or will it just be the tallest in HR (for now hah hah)?

Archived